IHOP help

Options
cstovay
cstovay Posts: 8 Member
Suggestions on healthy breakfast items at IHOP? Thanks!

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Love IHOP but their stuff is high in calories. Maybe order something and split it.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Decide how many calories you want to use at IHOP, choose here, and stick too it. :)
    http://www.ihop.com/-/media/ihop/PDFs/.ashx

I'll usually go with
    2 eggs easy over, 170 cals
    2 slices bacon, 80 cals
    1 slice whole wheat toast - about 110
    1 tsp butteroid - about 25
    485 calories

2 poached eggs are 130 cals. I may do that next time. Didn't realize they did poached.

Note that IHOP's toast calorie counts are for 2 slices, buttered by them, with jam or marmalade. I ask the waitress to bring me the toast unbuttered, with the butter on the side.

Their "simple and fit" breakfast is 350 calories, plus a fruit side order of 50 or 60 calories.

2 buttermilk pancakes are 310 cals -- and that's almost certainly without the syrup. (sugar-free 15 cal/oz; the others 100-110 cal/oz) If they add the butteroid, it may include that. I think they serve whipped butter, which runs 75 cal/Tbs. (I'd bring a tablespoon to measure both margarine and syrup.)

Or you could go with an egg white omelette (140) with all the veggies (total 45 cals) and perhaps diced ham (30)
    Their 55+ egg white omelette starts off at 70 calories. Even if you're not yet 55, it'd be worth asking if they'd let you order that because you're trying to lose or maintain weight.

For a 620-cal splurge, a bakery favorite combo with red velvet pancake (420), poached eggs (130) and bacon (80) -- the sausage is 180 calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Look up their menu online... lots of options.
  • randomtai
    Options
    JanetMMcC wrote: »
    As everyone said, normal. Not to worry. For what it's worth, this is my chart for the past 90 days. I've been on maintenance since November, and gave myself a goal range of 140 to 145 lbs.
    kdodnhpowter.png

:huh:
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    https://www.ihop.com/-/media/ihop/PDFs/nutritionalinformation.ashx

Stick with items from their Simple & Fit menu...order a la carte (two eggs, wheat toast, side of fruit)...or get one of their higher calorie items to share. When we go to IHoP as a family we'll order lighter items for our individual breakfasts then get one of their more decadent pancake creations for the five of us to split for dessert.

It has been a while since I have been to an IHoP...but I seem to recall they include calorie counts on the menu. Always makes me think twice about what I am ordering. And I am always astonished by all the diners blissfully chowing down with the full knowledge that their breakfast is racking up some 1800 calories.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    They have a couple simple & fit breakfasts. To me though, IHOP isn't even worth it unless you get pancakes and black coffee.
  • Francl27
    Options
    They have a couple simple & fit breakfasts. To me though, IHOP isn't even worth it unless you get pancakes and black coffee.

Ditto and I tried the pancakes last time and they were just dry and tasteless.
  • randomtai
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Ditto and I tried the pancakes last time and they were just dry and tasteless.

I think the person meant it's not worth it unless you get pancakes. And they are never dry to me, maybe you should try a different IHOP. *shrug*
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    cstovay wrote: »
    Suggestions on healthy breakfast items at IHOP? Thanks!

Well, if you're headed out for a 2-3 hour bike ride like I do on the weekends, I love their Harvest Nut 'N Grain pancakes. Very filling thanks to the protein in them, and I usually only get 2 of them which is enough to power me through a good workout session. Two eggs sunnyside up or over easy are nice as well with some whole wheat toast and some fruit. The veggie omelette (garden) or spinach and mushroom (two super foods) are good as well.

You can eat pretty well there, not go too whopping crazy with the calories if you are careful and fuel yourself for a nice workout.

That being said, I'm not sure I would go as far as to call much of anything at IHOP "healthy". B)
  • JanetMMcC
    edited May 2016
    Options
    aargh. I put the wrong reply in here, and edited the dang thing to include a link to the nutrition page and what I usually get ... and it went back to my original. And now I can't edit it out. Sorry..

That's what I get for having several conversations open at once.

Oh, I see what happened. I did indeed post what I meant to, but someone reposted my original before I was done.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Their simple & fit veggie omelet is a great place to start, but if the fillings aren't for you I believe you can build your own omelet and request it be made with egg substitutes or whites to keep it lower in calories, just be mindful of what you add since cheese can contain quite a bit of calories! It's served with a fruit dish which only adds about 60 calories and should also keep you full.
    On the other hand, if you find it impossible to resist pancakes you could always add two on the side, order their simple & fit pancake choice (I thought it was good), or even order a kid's size pancake. Heck, you could even order the side of two pancakes and split them with whomever you're with to make them dessert. There's tons of ways you could go about enjoying yourself, start with their nutritional information online and go from there! I wish you all the best!
  • Francl27
    Options
    Just keep in mind that they add pancake batter to their scrambled eggs and omelets.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind that they add pancake batter to their scrambled eggs and omelets.

Seriously??? I never knew this, how did you find that out o.o?
  • Francl27
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »

On these forums, lol.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

A cook friend told me about that.
    That is why I order fried eggs when I am out for breakfast.
  • randomtai
    Options

It also says it on the menu.
  • Francl27
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

A cook friend told me about that.
    That is why I order fried eggs when I am out for breakfast.

I had fried eggs at Ihop last time but the yolk was cooked too. I was bummed. I guess I have to ask for poached next time...
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Isn't the pancake batter addition reflected in the calorie count? I haven't checked it in a while.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    Isn't the pancake batter addition reflected in the calorie count? I haven't checked it in a while.

It is, but if you're not looking at the calories and just thinking oh an omelet is always a healthy choice, you'd be wrong in this case.
  • JanetMMcC
    Options

But if you ask, they'll leave out the batter.