I'm addicted to my scale!!!

Options
I weigh my self every time I go in the bathroom! and I feel like it will eventually be a problem for me.. Am I the only one going through this?!

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    this seems like a waste of time, TO ME. My advice: weigh yourself (mostly naked) as often as once in the morning (after you do bathroom business). Once per day. Or once per week. Or once per month. Track it in an app like Trendweight if you're weighing once a day.

Edit to add: SOMETIMES just for fun, I weigh myself before bed after I've eaten in particular salty meals. JUST SO I CAN REMEMBER that I weight something like 5# more just before bed and that it's all just numbers on a scale that doesn't really mean anything if I ever see a plateau for a while.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I used to be that way. And it would affect my mood, noticeably.
    Suggestions: Toss the scale or hide it for awhile. Break the habit. Eat well. Track your intake. Once you have those POSITIVE habits created, pull out the scale. Weigh once a week at first.

I use the trendweight app as mentioned above and I like it now, it helps me have an overall picture and not focus so much on the negative days.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,986 Member
    Options
    ha. I was heading down that path myself and then I accidentally spilled a pitcher of water on it and it broke the cycle. From then on I only weighed once a week at the gym.

If you aren't negatively affected emotionally then I don't see the harm, but if you are judging yourself harshly then it's a problem.

I weigh once a day in the morning and enter it into my spreadsheet and into MFP. I track my food with a digital food scale. That seems obsessive to some people, I'm sure. To me it's just good health hygiene.
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Great advice in this thread. I recommend taking pictures every week at the same time, Sunday mornings seem to work best for a lot of people. If you must, weigh yourself again the last Sunday of every quarter. You'll see a lot more progress this way and avoid that terrible scale weighing cycle.
  • whitneyb0421
    whitneyb0421 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys ! Great advice :) I'm going to put the scale in the trunk of my car and only use it once a week until!! And I'll be downloading that app
  • DangerouslyEli
    DangerouslyEli Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I did that *a lot* when I was younger, and I was completely obsessed with the number on the scale. It's addictive and unhealthy, because then you start basing your self worth off the size of that number. It later developed into starving myself when said number wasn't what I wanted it to be, so the best advice I can give you:
    Screw the scale.
    You'll know your losing weight by how you feel, the fitting of your clothes, and your general state of mind.

If you really feel you need to know how much weight in pounds you're losing, like myself, only go near that godforsaken invention (I'm very bitter) once a week or once every two weeks.