Odd gain

Options
Am wondering if My Fitness Pal or Apple Health is off or what am I doing wrong.

Yesterday I weighed five pounds lower than I did this morning. I've been entering calories and exercise as carefully as possible and was surprised to find I've gain so much. I constant my tried to remain well under my daily allowance of calories, usually by 1000 or more. Yesterday, I only had about 450 calories left has I had a martini, some peanuts and an ice cream sandwich. But I entered them all and was still under.

Any ideas as to why this happened?

Replies

• DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It's probably just bloat from eating the not so good food. I get the same if I eat some "junk" food the night before. Just keep at it and may only weigh yourself once a week or once a month. That's what I have to do because so many things will make me bloat.
  • rxs318
    rxs318 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just had something very similar happen last week, although only 2 lbs...i attribute it to late night salt consumption. My guess is that the alcohol and salty peanuts is what causing this blip. The important thing to remember it is a blip, so don't stress about it and move on.
  • joe_wojniak
    joe_wojniak Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree, same thing happens to me. A day or two later I'll be back to my average weight. Adding exercise has also helped, but I've been taking advantage of the "extra" calories-- so I'm basically maintaining instead of losing weight.
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The name of the game is consistency. If you are gaining weight for weeks, worry.

If you are only up this week, dont. Water weight, poo buildup (not joking), and swelling in muscles from exercise all effect your weight in the short term, but not in the long term.

Just remember that the long term is your goal.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    Am wondering if My Fitness Pal or Apple Health is off or what am I doing wrong.

Yesterday I weighed five pounds lower than I did this morning. I've been entering calories and exercise as carefully as possible and was surprised to find I've gain so much. I constant my tried to remain well under my daily allowance of calories, usually by 1000 or more. Yesterday, I only had about 450 calories left has I had a martini, some peanuts and an ice cream sandwich. But I entered them all and was still under.

Any ideas as to why this happened?

You are not meant to regularly be 1000 calories under your goal.
    How fast are you losing weight?
  • thomasrowland
    thomasrowland Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Has been about a half a pound a day. Probably too much, right?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options

I would say so. The calorie goal is just that: a goal. Aim to eat roughly that much every day, or to average that much over the course of the week if you prefer to eat more on weekends or on workout days (or recovery days -- I'm more likely to be really hungry the day after my heavy workouts than on the workout days itself).
  • JohnRybock
    JohnRybock Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    As said, salt, sugar and alcohol will in the short term cause water-retention, which could account for it (5# is a fairly large swing, but if you were a little under-hydrated the first weighing, that could contribute, too). As long as you're honestly recording and tracking and staying on track, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I used to weigh myself each morning, and would get the same sort of swings... I've taken to only doing it twice a week - enough I can keep a pretty close eye on my progress, but not enough for the small variances to make me worry.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Slow and steady is the best for weightloss.