Calories Burned-Really?

Options
How do people burn 1000+ calories in one workout? Is it a super-long, super-intense workout? Even on my hardest and longest workout days, the MOST I burn is maybe 600 (and I use a HRM). I understand the smaller you are the less you burn and I am small...but, that seems REALLY high to me. Like, does the elliptical really burn 900+ calories in one hour or is that an exaggeration? Just wondering. Thank you!

Replies

• destined2bthin
    Options
    I use my hrm on all of my workouts and I own 2 different ones that I use for different levels of intensity (high cardio vs low cardio) I weigh (tragically) 231 lbs right now and at 60 minutes exercising at the track I burn about 1200 or more calories. today I did the elliptical at a level 4 resistance to fast upbeat music for 30 consecutive mins and burned about 600 calories
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Guys could burn 900 cals in an hour on the elliptical, but I highly doubt a woman could. I'm 5'0" (142 lbs) and 45 mins of a fairly high intensity (based on HR) gets me like 450 cals. Maybe someone who weighed a lot more could get closer?
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Depends on your weight. A heavy person burns more calories as it takes more energy for them to move their bodies. Which is often maddening to people with lighter bodies, like myself, who slog their guts out for ages for small number, lol
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to burn that many. I use an HRM and even when I run for 45-50 minutes and then do my strength ab circuit and my push ups AND practice some of my karate, the most I've burned is a little over 800 for a little over an hour. And that's not subtracting the calories I'd burn doing nothing, which drops it to around 720.

I'm 5'9" and about 157lbs, so I'm near the end of wanting to lose any weight. I am very amazed at some of the numbers I see on here. It seems like a huge difference to me. When I ran my first 5k I burned 520 calories in 36 minutes. I suppose if I ran nonstop for an hour at race pace I might hit 1,000 calories. I'm not really there yet in ability though.
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Usually depends on how long you work out. People who end up doing cardio for 60 or so minutes a day is somewhat insane to me but to each his own.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and weigh about 120kg (270lbs). On the elliptical I average around 300 for 30 mins, sometimes a few more if I try HIIT. My stamina isn't that great though - I can't sustain a heart rate of more than 145-150 for very long.

The only time I've ever gone over 1000 in 1 workout was when I went on a 45km, 3hr bike ride around my town. It wasn't that high intensity, but it was for a long stretch.

Silly thing is... those people on my friends list who post massive burns have closed diaries, so I can't see what they're doing to achieve that burn. It's so frustrating! It also makes me wonder (seeing as their weight loss isn't ridiculously massive compared to mine) if it's even worth it... although I can't see how many calories they eat back, or what kinds of foods they're eating to need to burn those kind of calories each day.
  • suvernscorpio
    suvernscorpio Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was wondering something similar yesterday after I had done 30 mins of Elliptical training. My machine said I had only burned 150 yet on MFP it said it just under 300. Then I saw someone else had been on theirs for 30 mins and was quoting they had burned 300 cals.

So I checked my cross trainer and I had put my weight in wrong and made myself out to be much lighter than I was (duh me). So when I used it today at the correct heavier weight it made quite a difference.

So in short it seems the heavier you are the more calories you will burn.
    Debs x
  • tbrown1025
    tbrown1025 Posts: 165
    Options
    Usually depends on how long you work out. People who end up doing cardio for 60 or so minutes a day is somewhat insane to me but to each his own.

Haha, call me insane. :P Although, in my defense, I often break up my cardio into multiple workouts and I workout with friends, so....if any of them calls me and up says "let's go," I might just be so inclined to go grab my 2 (or 3rd!) hour of cardio, hehehe!!

I have not burned 1000cal in one wokrout, but have pulled over 800cals in multiple workouts in one 24 hour period. At this point, I couldn't eat back even most of those calories, so I have no desire to burn over 1000cals.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's just a matter of weight and intensity. A larger person who is more fit can do it.

I am not anything special, but I weigh 90 or so kg and can exercise at an 11MET intensity (running approx 7 mph) for an hour. That's 1000+ calories.

Someone who weighs 60kg could work just as hard and burn 660.

Often, when people claim high numbers (e.g. 18-20 cal/min) via HRM readings, the numbers are significantly inflated. This is due to the fact that they have a higher than average HRmax, but have never adjusted the settings on the HRM. So the HRM assumes they are working harder than they are.

Burning 1000 calories in an hour is not that extraordinary. But it doesn't occur as frequently as the comments would make you think.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I have wondered this, too. They only way I could burn 1000+ calories was to mow my lawn, which takes about 2 1/2 hours. Initially, I was recording this through MFP which gave me just over 1000 calories. Then I bought the Body Bugg, and it cut my calorie burn WAY down. (The Bugg might be underestimating calories based on the way that it works -- it misses my steps since I don't move my arms -- it cant sense that I am moving. But I think it's a better estimate than MFP -- although depressing!)

Other than the lawn mowing, I "only" burn about 200 - 300 calories in an HOUR. I'm 180 pounds, so I'm not that small. But I feel like I'm working out as hard as I can -- yet I just don't see the numbers. I haven't been working out as much as I should -- I am a little discouraged by this.
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you all for responding. I have noticed that I burn less calories now than I used to before I lost weight so I suppose it is possible for some. I am only 5'3 and 105 lbs and I do some really intense workouts but I don't think I could ever burn that many calories in an hour ! But I just had to ask about this and I appreciate your responses! :smile:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I burn 1,000 or so when I do my steady state runs (8 miles in an hour = 7:30 pace). I weight 175. You have to pretty heavy and fairly fast to do it by running.

As far as the elliptical, no way in hell I could put in that kind of effort for an hour.