Only 4 Weeks In And Weight Loss Has Totally Stalled

Options
I only started back on the MFP journey 4 weeks ago, and had a great first fortnight, losing almost 5kg. But in the last fortnight I have lost nothing at all. The scales go up and down by about 0.2kg but I'm stuck. I am being quite strict with food, weighing and logging everything carefully, I'm eating pretty well and drinking plenty of water, and as I have a sedentary job I'm trying to either get in an evening exercise class, use the elliptical or hit my steps target on the other days. I just don't understand, last time I did this it was much easier and the weight just fell off, it's so disheartening. :(
Here's my stats:
* Age 33
* Height 175cm/5'7''
* SW 177kg
* CW 172.5kg
* Calories 1,200-1,400 per day (depending on amount/lack of exercise that day)
Any suggestions/help appreciated!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    In 4 weeks you've lost almost 5kg - thats 11lbs! and an incredible loss so well done. Don't be disheartened, weight loss slows down dramatically after first few weeks when its mostly water you are losing (normal).

Aim for up to 2lbs per week. The less you have to lose then that also changes the loss amount. i.e less than 30lbs then 1lb per week would be ideal.

Keep doing what you're doing and you'll see the weight will start coming off again.
    Your calories are pretty low saying you have quite a lot to lose, are those the calories MFP set you at to lose?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Your calories are pretty low saying you have quite a lot to lose, are those the calories MFP set you at to lose?

OP, are you sure you didn't mean 177lbs instead of 177kg?

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Actually @gebeziseva I was wondering if it was lbs too....
    if it was pounds then I'd be saying, aim for 1lb loss per week.
  • NatalieLJ
    NatalieLJ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Ah sorry, I was rushing! It should read 77kg and 72.5kg - I'm not sure where the extra '1' came from! I'd like to be back down to about 62kg, which is where I've previously felt comfortable and looked healthy.
    I'm pleased with my weight loss so far, for sure. It just seems strange to have started off so well then have come to a halt. I'd be happy with 1lb a week, losing slowly but surely.
    My calorie allowance is what MFP set, yes. Not sure if I should revise this? It seems ok for days where I barely get much exercise due to a desk job and car commute, but maybe not for exercise class days?
  • NatalieLJ
    Options
    Correct stats:
    * Age 33
    * Height 175cm/5'7''
    * SW 77kg
    * CW 72.5kg
    * GW 62kg
    * Calories 1,200-1,400 per day (depending on amount/lack of exercise that day)

• CallyBeth08
    CallyBeth08 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Give it time. Many doctors I've spoken to say that you will always reach a plateau when it comes to losing weight. Everyone does. For weeks on end you don't lose at all- but after a bit your body adjusts, and you start losing more and more. They've said a lot of people reach this point and give up because they feel like everything they're doing isn't helping, when in fact if they kept to it- the pace would pick back up.

Don't let this stop you. Keep going! Just a bump in the road!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Give it time. Weight loss is not linear. A couple of weeks without a loss is not a stall...
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Your initial weightloss was probably mostly water weight. It takes time to lose the fat. Keep at it, if you think in terms of 'this is for life' then 4 weeks is really just a quick blink.
    You don't have all that much to lose so it may be beneficial for you to adjust to only losing half a lb per week.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    A plateau is after 3-4 weeks at the same weight not a couple of days.

You naturally go up and down on a daily basis due to water weight, also as a female around your menstrual cycle your body will pack on upwards of 8lbs in water to flush out your system.
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Your initial weightloss was probably mostly water weight. It takes time to lose the fat. Keep at it, if you think in terms of 'this is for life' then 4 weeks is really just a quick blink.
    You don't have all that much to lose so it may be beneficial for you to adjust to only losing half a lb per week.

Totally agree. It's non-linear and it take longer than just 4 weeks, which in the grand scheme of things is no time at all. Weight isn't everything either. Have a friend or loved one measure you (waist, hips, arms, thighs, chest etc) And see what decreases/increases as time goes by. Sometimes you lose size but not weight because you lose fat and gain muscle.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Patience. You will not lose weight "steady". It's going to be all over the place, depending on many things. As others have mentioned, use more than scale weight to track your progress. You'll be happier for it.
  • fishaan
    fishaan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had this same problem! What I did was switch my workout routine. Your body gets used to the same style of exercise and will adapt to it. Switch up the style of exercise and add in more strength! This will up your metabolism and burn more calories all day as opposed to just while working out! Good luck!
  • NatalieLJ
    Options
    Some great advice there, thanks everyone. I know this is a common problem and I need to just stick with it for the long haul - and I will. I feel better for eating better, weight loss or not so I'm not going back. I definitely need to mix up my exercise, and take measurements rather than just weigh. Duly noted!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    You are already on the high end of a healthy weight for your height, and you are aiming for the low end. Your goal should be no more than 1 lb per week, it is very hard to lose the weight when you have little to lose. If you lose too fast, you are risking burnout and muscle loss. Eat a little more, make sure you are getting enough protein and doing strength training to protect your muscle, and be patient :) Best of luck!