Hiit cardio While bulking?

Options
Ok so im currently about 165 pounds i just finish my 4th week of bulking today i was 160 im going to start gaining about half a pound a week i know atleast 2-3 pounds some the 4 weeks is just water weight but anyways im going to be playing football this summer while bulking it 4x a week but im only going to go 1x a week and i was wondering if 1 session of hiit cardio will affect my gains in a negative way maybe burning them up or something?

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    No
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Eat more...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It's fine as long as you account for it in your cal intake. If you stop gaining you will have to eat more. I was doing HIIT 2x per week during my bulk but eventually had to cut it out because it was just way too many calories for me.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    As @sardelsa says, you should account for those extra cals. But I ask - why? if you are playing football you probably have the cardio covered. I would worry that with strength work outs (you are doing strength work outs aren't you?) and a football game a week, adding in 2 sessions of HiiT is going to impinge on your rest for little to no benefit.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    HIIT is a low calorie burner so that's not a huge problem to compensate for the few calories burned.
    More of an issue is that (if done properly) it needs recovery time - that may impact your other exercise performance or recovery from strength/hypertrophy training.

Once a week shouldn't be an issue though dependant on your entire weekly exercise routine.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Program your HIIT intelligently and it will only benefit your lifting! i.e. do it after lifting when you have a rest day next, or on a rest day but next day isn't a heavy lifting day.

Because I lift high weight low rep with 3-5 minutes in between my work sets, I like to design the HIIT to compliment that style. I.e. 5 minute warm up, [20-30 second high intensity, 2 minutes regular intensity]x Repeat 5-7 times. This gets some good training in without negatively impacting your recovery from lifting. I like low-impact style, such as sled/prowler pushes, rowing, or jump rope... Hill Sprints are good but I find they hurt my squatting/deadlifting.
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    HIIT is great for fat burning so it's no issue to do it when you're bulking - but like others have said above, just eat more, track the changes in your body, and adjust accordingly