Does my Suggested Carb and Protein intake seem Normal?

Options
mmonjaraz
mmonjaraz Posts: 2 Member
edited May 2016 in Getting Started
Hi I am New to Fitness Pal and I was told by a trainer how to figure out my carbs and protein intake per day and it is no where near what MFP is telling me. It is more like 107 carbs per day for the calculation I was doing and MFP is stating 271 grams per day. Also I was told you should eat your total weight in Protein per day which is 160. That all seems super high not sure which one is correct. Can someone help!! See my stats attached and suggestions for protein, carbs and fats from MFP.
7j3rzr3r8ds9.png
Palc4581vrzhqi6.png

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I calculated your calorie goal to 2164 - to lose 1 pound per week, your TDEE would be 2664. It may or may not be right. Double check that you have entered correct values in the setup. "Total weight in gram" - this means your weight in kilos, not pounds. So 160 grams of protein is excessive - set it to 100, tops; what isn't used for muscles and whatever processes protein is used for - is used as energy or stored as fat (and you don't want more calories if you want to lose weight).
  • etoledo18
    etoledo18 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good post I think 1 gram per lb is bodybuilder myth. 1.2-1.8 is the max one will ever need
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    1gm protein per lean body weight.

Add more good fat... Coconut oil, avocado, olive, walnut oils. Remove more carbs
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    OP you have set your activity level to active.. is this correct? The reason I ask is are you planning eat back exercise calories as MFP would usually be set to sedentary and eat back exercise (a portion). Setting active would eliminate the exercise calories from your daily intake, I just wanted to double check that you wanted it set this way.

I am not sure the plan your trainer has for you but to loose weight the normal rule to keep maintaining muscle mass is to set protein at a range between .8 and 1 gr/lb body weight, then set your fats up, and remaining for carbs.

I see that there are conflicting info on what folks say you should do. I lift weights and when eating at a deficit I strive for .8 (this works fine) and if I get to the 1gr per body in a given day that is ok for me, but I usually do not get to 1 gr without protein supplements in my diet. I loose weight and maintain muscle mas fine on .8
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I calculated your calorie goal to 2164 - to lose 1 pound per week, your TDEE would be 2664. It may or may not be right. Double check that you have entered correct values in the setup. "Total weight in gram" - this means your weight in kilos, not pounds. So 160 grams of protein is excessive - set it to 100, tops; what isn't used for muscles and whatever processes protein is used for - is used as energy or stored as fat (and you don't want more calories if you want to lose weight).

I am not sure how your goal (by this user) was calculated without having your height included in the stats.

OP I would run your stats for you but I do need your height and confirm the age. A person does not need be steared in the wrong direction when seeking assistance to assure that they start out with the right goal.

The 100 grams tops can be complete mis information without knowing exact stats to run your numbers.

The statement in bold above, tells me this person is unclear of the information they are giving in their response to your precise question. I will be happy to run your numbers for you.. just need your height. Or try this calulator, it is usually what I use to run someone's numbers and you can tweak according to what you and your trainer are working on and then setup or confirm MFP setups accordingly.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I'm not sure how you are able to claim that 100g is the top value in protein that this person can utilize for skeletal muscle.

You also can't neglect the potential satiating effects of protein which, for some people, can lend merit to the idea of eating more protein above what may be utilized for anabolic purposes.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    OP:

Myfitnesspal tends to set protein lower than what I'd consider, for what it's worth.

For MOST people, I tend to recommend protein intakes ranging between about 1g/lb goal bodyweight and 1g/lb total bodyweight.

Note that the leaner someone is, these values approach each other, and the heavier someone is the more I'd tend towards goal weight as a reasonable target.

But in either case, going over in protein is only detrimental if those calories would be better served in other macronutrients (ie would you benefit by moving some of that to fat or carbs? That's individual) and that's not always going to be the case.

In fact given how much individual variability can exist I think it's perfectly reasonable for some people, in some situations, to go a bit over on protein for insurance.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

I'm not sure how you are able to claim that 100g is the top value in protein that this person can utilize for skeletal muscle.
    Thank you for understanding what I meant! But she's losing weight. That will limit the amount of protein her body can utilize, won't it? I've always heard you can't build muscle in a calorie deficit. Now I'm getting confused. But I want to learn.

You also can't neglect the potential satiating effects of protein which, for some people, can lend merit to the idea of eating more protein above what may be utilized for anabolic purposes.
    I can't and I won't neglect this. If a diet high in protein is satiating and satisfying, it has a purpose.

But in either case, going over in protein is only detrimental if those calories would be better served in other macronutrients (ie would you benefit by moving some of that to fat or carbs? That's individual) and that's not always going to be the case.
    This was my main focus even though it obviously came out all wrong. I personally prefer a more moderate split, but I don't hate protein.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Thank you for understanding what I meant! But she's losing weight. That will limit the amount of protein her body can utilize, won't it? I've always heard you can't build muscle in a calorie deficit. Now I'm getting confused. But I want to learn.

I can't and I won't neglect this. If a diet high in protein is satiating and satisfying, it has a purpose.

This was my main focus even though it obviously came out all wrong. I personally prefer a more moderate split, but I don't hate protein.

I was just questioning how you came up with 100g as being a ceiling for protein utilization.

It's quite likely that values much higher than this can contribute to skeletal muscle maintenance.

Sorry if I came off a bit blunt =)

Consider, this is an extreme example and I'm not claiming that the protein values used in this study are representative of what a non bodybuilder would use -- this is just an example of how context can change dietary recommendations:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4033492/
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    If your trainer told you to eat 160g of protein when your goal weight is 140, then you need to tell him/her to go to a nutrition class. For athletes it's 0.7-1.0g/lb of LEAN bodyweight. If your goal is 140 pounds @ maybe 12%bf, that means around 120-125g/lb at the MAX. For normal individuals it's closer to 0.5-0.8/lb of again LEAN bodyweight.

Now going back, it doesn't really matter too much so long as your carbs and fats are adjusted right. CICO(Calories IN/Calories Out). Some people eat in a keto state so they eat a lot less carbs but more protein/fats to compensate. If that is what you are going for, then maybe they were talking about eating like that.

From the picture, I would assume OP is female, and she doesn't mention any goal of competitive body building or wanting to suffer from amenorrhea, so 12% BF seems like a pretty radical number to throw out there.
  • mmonjaraz
    mmonjaraz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone Wow everyone is very helpful. I appreciate the help. I am 5'2 and 35 yrs old and no I am not competing for any competition simply trying to be in the best shape ever and create lean muscle and lower my body fat!!!I did speak to a trainer who suggested per my body fat and weight that I do a 40c/30p30f split. He also said I should stick to about 1gr/lb of total body weight!! I am adjusting MFP to meet that!
  • calipoppy80
    calipoppy80 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @mmonjaraz you're my body type doppelganger. I'm 5'2 and 35 as well. Just started keto diet a few days ago, how about you?
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Ya sorry 12% is pretty radical, though I was more just trying to relate my later statement about the fact that at 140@12% you'd be 125lbs lean and how much protein that would require...I agree for women a higher % is completely normal...even for men 12% is athlete level.