Type 1 Diabetes help!

Options
Hi, I am a type 1 diabetic and have used MfP for about 3years and it has helped me to lose around 3stone. I am a type 1 diabetic and have been for a long time and was wondering if anyone else has trouble sticking to their calorie limits due to low blood sugar? I seem to go way way over nearly every day just to maintain blood sugar. It seems to be later during the day. All exercise I do shoots my sugars straight down sometimes without taking any insulin at all. needs to be fuelled with food taking me over budget

Replies

• noddy230983
    noddy230983 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss.
    My advice would be to speak to your nurse/consultant about this. They will be better qualified to advise you rather than us on here who know nothing of your medical history. It might be that they advise reducing the amount of insulin you take at meal times to prevent your hypos after exercise.
  • daligrrrl
    daligrrrl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat that you are in! Exactly. Any advice is much appreciated !
  • sterojid
    sterojid Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You need to be more specific. On what therapy are you? Pen or insulin pump? Do you train always in the same time of the day, do you have hipoglichemy during training or after?... Sorry for my bad english
  • t1der
    t1der Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I just started a very low cal/low sodium/low carb/clean eating food plan a couple of weeks and have had to adjust my basal rate almost daily! I am a pumper, though, so that it makes it easier. Do you pump or are you MDI?
  • schwhatup
    schwhatup Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I won't put my low snacks into the tracker. I would find that I'd go low every day and would go over on my calories. Then I tried leaving myself 300 extra calories for low snacks, and I was starving! So I stopped including them. I know the calories still count, but Id get so demotivated that I would completely quit tracking. So I think it's better in the long run to be able to stay consistent with tracking. Maybe decrease your insulin to try to reduce the low blood sugars?
  • GuessIgottalog
    GuessIgottalog Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Track sugars for 1 week and bring in to your endo office and the nurse can calculate new carb to insulin ratios for you. Cutting back on basal could help too.