Need help

Hi everyone I'm new to this program to weight loss and exercising. I'm in dire need of some help, tips and support. I have been having health issues and need to lose 140 lbs. anyone's input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Replies

• HannaJJ1
    HannaJJ1 Posts: 13 Member
    Hi, I am not an expert, but I am here for support and help. What do you struggle with most, exercise, or nutrition? What are you currently doing?
  • jlp419
    jlp419 Posts: 14 Member
    Hi there! The hardest part is to get started. I would suggest doing some yoga to gain some strength and flexibility. Then gradually add 30 minutes of cardio 3 to 4 times a week. I have health issues myself, and I found just walking was very hard at first.

Good luck, and know that you have support here.
  • Maria_Fatima
    Maria_Fatima Posts: 238 Member
    Hey there! There are lots of areas for support- motivation, getting started, calorie counting, workout.
    Just give me a message, I'll be super glad to help.
    I've always been heavy because of medical reasons but since I've also tried losing weight many times and often did it successfully and recently have been reading useful articles and googling a lot, I also have learned to make objective estimates about calories and calorie burning.
    Going to wait to talk to you!
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Welcome, Lana!

A tip that helped get me losing weight was a doctor's suggestion to cut out all white carbs. That means only whole-grain breads & pastas & such (and unless the front says "100 percent whole-grain" you have to check the ingredients list to make sure it's *only* whole-grain -- lots of breads have "whole wheat" on their label when it makes up only part of the wheat. It also means going cold turkey on candy, cakes and chips. I was snacking on a lot of those. But the funny thing was, for me, looking at it as sticking to whole grains made it easy to stop it and snack on "legal" foods.

Another doctor pointed out that I had to check dried fruit, because a lot of those have added sugar. Which doesn't make a lot of sense -- I mean, mangos and pineapple are super sweet. Why do so many dried varieties add more sugar?

But I've found that freeze-dried fruits generally don't have any added sugar. Dried figs, too.

Feel free to add me as a friend.

• JanetMMcC
    Oh - a tip for using these boards. If you run across a discussion that you'd like to check back on, right across from the subject line on the right edge of the page you'll find an outlined star. Click on that and it'll turn yellow. That means you've bookmarked the page. If you click on the gray star at the top of the page, it'll give you a list of your top 5 or 6 bookmarks. there's a link at the bottom of that list to get you to a list of all your bookmarked pages. I've bookmarked this discussion. :)
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Hi Lana :).

Plug in all your stats into MFP, and then try to stick to the calorie goal the site generated for you for 6 weeks or so. Losing too fast or slow? Adjust the calorie intake up or down accordingly

With 140 lbs to lose, you can safely lose 2 lbs per week. BUT if you find that you're too hungry, losing at a slower pace (i.e 1 lb per week) would be more sustainable and make it easier for you to take this journey.

#1 most important tip: YOU NEED A FOOD SCALE. Non negotiable. Cups/spoons are not an accurate way to count calories. Oils, nut butters, continents, dressings, butter, and all solids need to be weighed in grams.

Log every single thing that goes into your mouth, as accurately as possible, stick to your calorie goal, and just keep plugging away. The weight will come off, sure and steady.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Oh also! With the MFP approach, you can eat whatever foods you like. fast food, pizza, treats... as long as they fit into your calorie allotment and don't cause medical issues.
  • melblades
    melblades Posts: 8 Member
    Hey!
    I been helping people loose weight for over a year and trust me you can do it!!
    You can't just stop eati your favourite foods, it makes you crave them more, spent two weeks progressively cutting down. For example if you eat three packets of crisp a days, start eating two packets, then spend one day not having any and the next have one packet. On days when you would usually have three packets swap it for fruit or a healthy snack bar, whilst eating healthy and fullfilling meals and participation in light excerise, you will find yourself not wanting the crisp at all as it makes you feel sluggish and rubbish after all the hard work you've been doing.
    I believe loosing weight is a state of mind as well as diet and excerise.
    Feel free to contact me with any other tips :-)
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Here are a few tips.
    1. Use up your calories wisely - it's much easier if you buy healthy foods and cook your own.
    2. Soups and milkshakes are very satisfying.
    3. Go for a short walk after every meal. (Though do allow for about fiveteen minutes for digestion before you get up.)
    4. Good luck
  • JanetMMcC
    How's it going, Lana?
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 2016
    Buy a food scale, weigh all your food and log it. Eat fewer calories than you're burning. And keep at it. Good luck!

lol I botched that. But yeah, calorie deficit yadda yadda.