Kcal's?

Options
I got a new pedometer (no instructions). I walked 3800 steps today, approx 1.44 miles. and it says 204 kcals. So does that mean I burned 204 calories?

Replies

• destined2bthin
    Options
    yep that is what that would mean. I have a pedometer that gives me that info too,
  • br0seidon
    br0seidon Posts: 19
    Options
    Yes. kCal can mean Kilocalories (as in 1,000 calories to 1 kCal), or it can simply be an abbreviation for calories. Walking does not burn a huge amount of calories, so i'd assume it's probably 204 calories.
  • sarahpittaway
    Options
    I use one and log my calories that it gives me so I know roughly what I have done for the day. I walk and run as I am training for a marathon and it helps me to know how long and how far I am doing on a daily basis . Plus with the car broken I am really walking everywhere not just for training !
  • w2fmd
    w2fmd Posts: 5
    Options
    Yep :)

The first part of the wikipedia article explains it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie
  • jlschaef
    jlschaef Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yep! Kcals are technically what we count, but everyone calls them Calories. :] It would sound crazy if we ate 140,000 calories a day! (which is what they "technically" are). SO it just is easier to call them calories, counting only 1,400 a day.
  • Mesomorphosis
    Mesomorphosis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    lol yes, kcal means kilo calorie, kcal and calories is same thing, people just shorten it and say calories.
  • dpartridge27
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Colectable93
    Colectable93 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just bought a new Polaris a 360 and used it for water aerobics, and it stated after 1.35 hours, that I burned 393 kcals and 57 min at the 60 % range and 25 min at the 70% range. So I basically burned 393 calories during that time. I am new to this, so If I get my heart rate up it should burn more.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    kcal = calories