How can I protect my hair while exercising?

Options
I'm wondering are there any ladies out there who wear hair weaves and if so, what is a good way to protect the hair from becoming so sweaty during workouts? My head sweats and my hair gets sweaty. I work out and sweat a lot, but I can't wash my hair every single day. How can I keep my 'do fresh?
Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Ever heard of dry shampoo? I've never used it... but I've heard good things. Try it! If it doesn't work, at least you gave it a try.
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Hi! Great question!!! And while I'm sure Rose's shampoo idea might work for someone not wearing a weave - not so great if you are, huh?

Right now I'm going natural, so it's MUCH easier to care for my hair, but when I'm sportin' a weave or braids, here are things I do:
    - Wear an old school headband, around the perimeter of your hair. So, on your skin, bumper right up against your hairline. Over or under the ears, doesn't matter. This helps collect some of the sweat.
    - Pull it up in a pony or bun so strands aren't on your neck, getting wet
    - IMMEDIATELY post work out, use a clean towel to blot your scalp. It's also the perfect time oil your scalp
    - Try the coolest style your hair will allow: I actually like to do a messy part and pull up in pigtails. This helps keep me as cool as possible.
    - Invest in a good no-water shampoo. After exercising, you can dot on, as needed.
    - Use a spray bottle with just plain water after a really heavy sweat session. Spot clean and blot
    - Swab your scalp with antiseptic and/or oil. I love tea tree (if you can get past the smell and learn to love it). This helps keep that white, sweaty buildup from happening

Honestly, the big old terry cloth headband works the best. In the summer, I also try to opt for different styles. I typically skip the weave in the heat, and go natural. Or I do braids without extensions, keeping it short so I can rinse my hair.

Best of luck!
  • Monica_1913
    Monica_1913 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My stylist told me to wear my hair in a high ponytail. I'd wear a headband/wrap if you don't want your edges exposed. I've opted for curly styles since I'm exercising more often. Right now I have virgin indian hair installed. I braid the hair in 4 or 5 braids and pin them down or pull them back into one ponytail while I work out (and while I sleep). I found a weave refresher spray called Organic Root Stimulator Weave RX Oil Free Hair Freshener at my local beauty supply. Hope this helps! :)
  • ACLAIBORNE1982
    Options
    I also have a weave and i have to wash my hair a lot, so since I started to work out I had to change my hairstyle. like for example i could not wear the fancy lol hair that I use to, I started to buy really cute pony tails, or a lace front weave with the combs that way I didnt have to worry about regluing the hair down and it comes right off for when I need to wash my hair, its not a lot of fuss and I still look good lol, I knew that I could not wear the other hair so I had to just change it and deal.. :drinker:
  • blacrasberri
    blacrasberri Posts: 102
    Options
    Presently, I wear my hear back in a pony tail or wrap it in a bun to keep my hair away from my face when sweating. Like someone mentioned earlier, I recommend using Tea Tree Oil. It's light and works great on my hair. Prior, to going natural I wore wigs, lace fronts, and or quick weaves. My solution was having my hair corn rolled underneath. While working out I simply wore a stylish head scarf to match my outfit..Problem solved. Hope this helps :bigsmile:
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Great thread.....

My hair is short and I've been having major drama dealing with it...cause after exercise it drenched and all the curls are out....I have to either slick it down or go to work looking like a drown rat......to make things worst its breaking alot not sure why...I'm giving it a rest and wearing instant weaves for now... thinking of going natural for a while
  • blacrasberri
    Options
    Great thread.....

My hair is short and I've been having major drama dealing with it...cause after exercise it drenched and all the curls are out....I have to either slick it down or go to work looking like a drown rat......to make things worst its breaking alot not sure why...I'm giving it a rest and wearing instant weaves for now... thinking of going natural for a while

Be sure to Moisturize your hair daily! from roots to ends. ....Not sure if your doing this but if could be the reason for hair breakage
  • Toots2012
    Toots2012 Posts: 25
    Options
    A pony tail is easiest I think....And yes us AA Women have to take the hair thing into consideration wheather it's a weave or natural. We cant just wash and go. It does make working out a little more difficult. I have decided to get microbraids.....
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I've got micro twists.... but my own hair is natural
    Because of all the exercising I'm doing, I've sweated my hair out and now down half the length of each twist looks like an afro...!

This is only after 2 weeks of getting it done.

So, I'm thinking about relaxing my hair, before I put it back into micro braids....
    I haven't had my hair relaxed in over 6 years, but I just need an easy hair style............
  • blacrasberri
    Options
    I've got micro twists.... but my own hair is natural
    Because of all the exercising I'm doing, I've sweated my hair out and now down half the length of each twist looks like an afro...!

This is only after 2 weeks of getting it done.

So, I'm thinking about relaxing my hair, before I put it back into micro braids....
    I haven't had my hair relaxed in over 6 years, but I just need an easy hair style............

I relax my hair as well...In my opinion, it's much easier to manage. I exercise and go swimming with no swimming cap. My trick is that I apply conditioner to my hair before getting in the pool from root to ends. Conditioner protects your hair from the chemicals in the water. In addition, you hair doesn't have that hard feeling to it. :bigsmile:
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Great thread.....

Be sure to Moisturize your hair daily! from roots to ends. ....Not sure if your doing this but if could be the reason for hair breakage

You're right I've been doing this from last week after going to the hairdresser and it seems to be getting better....but the head sweat and keeping curls will continue to be a challenge
  • MzChynah
    MzChynah Posts: 5
    Options
    I have been having this dilemna as well...I'm trying to decide between cutting my hair short, getting micros or a weave?? The sweat and hair for BW does not mix well especially if it's course...hair that needs relaxed in it to be manageable!! What to do??? I need to make a decision by next week...my stylist doesn't braid anymore so I will have to go to the Africans to get braids and I'm really not up for sitting all day...that is not something i enjoy...even though it last a few months..it's still not a good feeling sitting through the process!!!