Calories in/ Calories out

Options
So you are telling me that If I consume 4500 calories per day and my body only needs 2000 to start losing weight and perform the basic functions that I can just burn the other 2500 calories from exercise and I will lose weight????? I guess i am thinking about carbs, fat.. don't they play a role in weight loss? (I know my numbers are high I was just using an example, I hope I would not have to burn that much in one day)

Replies

• br0seidon
    br0seidon Posts: 19
    Options
    It would be virtually impossible to burn 2500 excess calories in one day, if that's what you mean. Burning 3500 calories per week (cumulative, from all 7 days) will equate to about 1 pound of weight loss.
  • loosecannonzs
    Options
    You are correct about the high calorie intake still losing weight if you burn that much of it per day.

Manny Pacquiao eats 7000 calories a day to maintain his lean muscle. He runs 10 miles a day and does 1000 sit-ups. Then he strength trains and don't forget to add on his regular fight training.

This example is not a normal everyday thing for 99.999% of people, but the same goes for your example.
  • destined2bthin
    Options
    You are correct about the high calorie intake still losing weight if you burn that much of it per day.

Manny Pacquiao eats 7000 calories a day to maintain his lean muscle. He runs 10 miles a day and does 1000 sit-ups. Then he strength trains and don't forget to add on his regular fight training.

This example is not a normal everyday thing for 99.999% of people, but the same goes for your example.

very helpful, thank you!
  • destined2bthin
    Options
    It would be virtually impossible to burn 2500 excess calories in one day, if that's what you mean. Burning 3500 calories per week (cumulative, from all 7 days) will equate to about 1 pound of weight loss.

Im sure it's not impossible to burn 2500 calories excess in one day if one decides to work out for several hours, either way my numbers given were an example for the bigger picture of is calories in/calories out really correct
  • br0seidon
    br0seidon Posts: 19
    Options

Im sure it's not impossible to burn 2500 calories excess in one day if one decides to work out for several hours, either way my numbers given were an example for the bigger picture of is calories in/calories out really correct

I wasn't implying it was completely impossible, just that you'd have to devote hours and hours to working out each day which would be incredibly tiresome after a while.
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Just as an example, if you did MFP "Aerobics - general" for nearly 6 hours you could burn 2500 calories, but you would have to be mega fit to sustain that level of activity for that long and have nothing better to do with your day! I would say even trying to burn 500 calories a day extra can be tough (I know because that's what I am trying to do!)
  • destined2bthin
    Options
    I know what u mean. I'm a stay at home mom and I weigh 231 lbs and I work out an hour at least per day so for me I can easily burn 1500 calories in that time frame using my hrm doing high impact excercise like jogging or elliptical etc so eating all of those back I want to make sure I don't gain weight. I guess it's easier to burn calories when u are bigger