Options
nicolenykaza
nicolenykaza Posts: 3 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
SW- 153
CW- 140
GW- 130
5'4"
Ok, I started MFP back in December. I've logged my food everyday, with the exception of 3 days since, adhering to a 1,200 calories intake and have completely plateaued since February. I lost the first 13lbs and have not been able to lose anything since. It drives me nuts because 1,200 calories is low, and I go to the gym 4 days a week for strength training, on top of doing my cardio via excersise bike 60min/day - 3 days/week at home. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? I'm not big boned or anything - I was 120 lbs for most of my 20's ( I'm currently 30).
I have toned up a lot in my arms and legs, but for the effort I put in I'm not seeing much difference in my belly.
Has anyone else had this issue?
Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Whenever I finish my daily log it always says "if everyday was like today in 5 weeks* you'll weigh ...[124-131]". But it's been 4 months since I've seen a pound lost on the scale.

Replies

• Lojo124
    Lojo124 Posts: 75 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I feel ya . Sorta dealing with the same thing !! It's a pretty crappie feeling ... so I took a few weeks off ..wasn't eating horrible but obviously my carb intake and cal. Intake went up quite.a bit And to my surprise I didnt gain weight .. so now after those couple weeks of not being regimented I'm trying get again ... back to 1500 cals and watching my macros again .. I'm hoping that works ..sorta like a shock to the system again ...do you think this might help me ??
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    How are you counting your calories? Digital scale or measuring cups/spoons or estimating portions? 4 months of no loss on such a low calorie goal normally indicates inaccurate logging i.e. you're eating more than you think you are.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How are you counting your calories? Digital scale or measuring cups/spoons or estimating portions? 4 months of no loss on such a low calorie goal normally indicates inaccurate logging i.e. you're eating more than you think you are.

This
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    As others have already said, are you accurately logging your meals? alot of the time we get slacker after a few months and start guessing portion sizes etc so we end up eating more than we think we are.

Tighten up the logging and the scale will start to move again. If you have been the same weight since February you have been eating at maintenance calories and I can guarantee that 1200 is not your maintenance amount as you are active.

I maintain my weight of 130lbs/5ft 2" eating 2100-2300 calories gross (very active).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Lojo124 wrote: »
    I feel ya . Sorta dealing with the same thing !! It's a pretty crappie feeling ... so I took a few weeks off ..wasn't eating horrible but obviously my carb intake and cal. Intake went up quite.a bit And to my surprise I didnt gain weight .. so now after those couple weeks of not being regimented I'm trying get again ... back to 1500 cals and watching my macros again .. I'm hoping that works ..sorta like a shock to the system again ...do you think this might help me ??

1500 is actually low for a guy, have you set your loss to 2lbs per week? it seems that you would have too large a deficit (guys normally burn 3000+ cals a day and that's without being that active). Weight loss has nothing to do with the amount of carbs etc, its about eating at deficit. If you log your meals accurately and you are eating less than you burn, you will lose.
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    SW- 153
    CW- 140
    GW- 130
    5'4"
    Ok, I started MFP back in December. I've logged my food everyday, with the exception of 3 days since, adhering to a 1,200 calories intake and have completely plateaued since February. I lost the first 13lbs and have not been able to lose anything since. It drives me nuts because 1,200 calories is low, and I go to the gym 4 days a week for strength training, on top of doing my cardio via excersise bike 60min/day - 3 days/week at home. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? I'm not big boned or anything - I was 120 lbs for most of my 20's ( I'm currently 30).
    I have toned up a lot in my arms and legs, but for the effort I put in I'm not seeing much difference in my belly.
    Has anyone else had this issue?
    Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Whenever I finish my daily log it always says "if everyday was like today in 5 weeks* you'll weigh ...[124-131]". But it's been 4 months since I've seen a pound lost on the scale.

Are you eating less than 1500 calories NET? If it's saying that you could lose up to 16 pounds in five weeks then that looks like you're only eating 1500 no matter how much exercise you're doing. If that's the case then try eating back what you burn off in cardio as well as your 1500 GDA. It might be worth investing in a heart rate monitor if you can as well since it'll give you more accurate readings than the estimates that MFP gives.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    d2aj0cyxbnzh.jpg

Will leave this here
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Lojo124 wrote: »

1500 is actually low for a guy, have you set your loss to 2lbs per week? it seems that you would have too large a deficit (guys normally burn 3000+ cals a day and that's without being that active). Weight loss has nothing to do with the amount of carbs etc, its about eating at deficit. If you log your meals accurately and you are eating less than you burn, you will lose.

Ya, it's especially low for a young military male, especially if they're on active duty.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    How much did you eat on those 3 days you didn't log?

And do you weigh your food?
  • lisalewis7588
    lisalewis7588 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I, personally, got lazy after about 3 months of weighing EVERYTHING and started guessing some things because "I've been doing this long enough to know what 4oz of chicken looks like"--and same thing as you, plateaued. I started weighing again and found that I'd been having an extra 200-300 calories per day just from slacking on the weighing. I'm set to lose 1/2 pound per week (250 calorie deficit per day), so that was my entire problem. I'm back to semi-obsessive weighing and scale is moving again.

I don't know if you weigh your food or "guesstimate"--but it DOES matter. good luck!!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I, personally, got lazy after about 3 months of weighing EVERYTHING and started guessing some things because "I've been doing this long enough to know what 4oz of chicken looks like"--and same thing as you, plateaued. I started weighing again and found that I'd been having an extra 200-300 calories per day just from slacking on the weighing. I'm set to lose 1/2 pound per week (250 calorie deficit per day), so that was my entire problem. I'm back to semi-obsessive weighing and scale is moving again.

I don't know if you weigh your food or "guesstimate"--but it DOES matter. good luck!!

I definitely did this as well.

Weigh and log EVERYTHING. It makes a huge difference.
  • MudderGrad
    MudderGrad Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    HHHmmm... 1200 is definitely low. From my experience, it sounds like you'll want to increase the number of calories. You definitely don't want to go lower. Try adding 100-300 calories for a week and then seeing if that gets you losing weight again. More than likely your body needs more nutrients based on your workout routine you described.
  • lorenlesley
    lorenlesley Posts: 24 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Weighing your food gives you an accurate log. I hate weighing my food because Im lazy, but it does make a difference. You never know, you could be eating more than you think!

Also, my input would be to see a doctor. Have you had your thyroid checked? Or it could be hormonal imbalances etc. It wouldn't hurt to see a nutritionist as well. They have so much valuable information that you might not otherwise know about.

Start measuring yourself as well and step away from the scale a bit. It might give you a confidence boost to keep going if inches are coming off.

I hope the scale budges for you. I know how frustrating it can be. Hang in there!