Opinions on larger than avg gain in short time

Options
LAC73167
LAC73167 Posts: 114 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Is it possible for someone to gain 6 pounds in four days???

I don't think it is.

Ineed a new scale. I may have reached my goal and not even know it

Replies

• kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Around my time of the month I can gain 5 lbs. A large gain is sometimes due to eating a meal with sodium if you have been restricting it. Also if you have just started working out you can gain water weight due to retention from exercise. I weigh more after a heavy leg day workout.
  • LAC73167
    Options
    Thanks for your reply! I'm 48 years old and I haven't had my TOM in three months so maybe it's a build up ha ha Ha! it's just so crazy and startling. I really haven't upped my workout routine so I wish I could blame it on that but I don't think it is. It may be sodium although I do try to keep that under 2100 g a day in my macros and I'm doing pretty good with that. I guess at this point my life I'm experiencing a lot of changes and things like this just absolutely shock but don't deter me!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If the gain has happened practically overnight then it will be mostly water....

to gain 6lbs that is (3500 x 6) 21000 extra calories you would have had to have eaten. Our weight fluctuates all the time for various reasons, try not to fret about the ups and downs of the scale.

If you know you've been tracking your meals/calories accurately you know all will be well :smile:
  • LAC73167
    Options
    Thank you! That's what's so frustrating! Im very honest with myself and my calorie/macro intake, so I stay pretty true. That's why this is so startling
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    I take it you are new to all this :smiley: honestly you are going to see loads of fluctuations, take them in your stride if you KNOW you're doing everything right then you'll be fine :smile:
  • LAC73167
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I just realize that my original post was cut off, and I provided a lot more info originally. I currently stay under 1200 cal a day and keep my sugar under 20 g and my sodium under 2100. Since Friday Ive eaten fresh tortellini capris salad for 4 meals which is unusual for me because I usually don't eat flour, for no other reason then it makes me feel horrible and bloated when I do. But it was kinda worth it!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Well there you go, there's your answer, your meals the past few days were carb heavy and the body holds onto water weight/adds to the glycogen stores when we eat extra carbs. Not that there is anything wrong with carbs btw :smile: it just takes a few days for the water weight to disappear, the same would apply to a high sodium day. Nothing to worry about :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    6 ounces. ? I thought you said 6lbs ...6 ounces isn't even half a pound. Nope perfectly normal. Sometimes if I go really heavy on carbs/sodium it can affect the scale reading by up to 3lbs. Not real though and is gone within a few days.
  • LAC73167
    Options
    Thanks! I'll hold off on buying the new scale lol! I've just never had such a leap and I've lost almost 40 pounds so far - so thought I had this figured out but apparently not
  • LAC73167
    Options
    Ughh it's too early apparently for me to be in front of the keyboard. Yes I meant 6 Pounds!! Lolol. If I gained 6 ounces after this weekend I call it a win! Got to go figure out how to edit that
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    You can only edit a post within an hour of posting it, after that it stuck in time.... :/
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    and it looks like you are doing fabulous anyway, 40lbs loss already is fantastic, keep up the great work :smiley:
  • LAC73167
    Options
    I think I fixed it but now I can't find it. Whatever you give me the answers I needed! thanks! have a great day!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    no problem, and have a lovely day yourself :smiley: