Giving up ecig

Options
kate141987
kate141987 Posts: 513 Member
Anyone else thinking about giving up smoking ecigs??

I used to be a chain smoker for many years until I gave up successfully about 4 months ago. Tried every NRT available and some worked some didn't. But since going on the ecig iv had incredible results, managed to stay smoke free (tripped up on holiday ended up back on the cigs for about a fortnight) but the ecig had been a great help staying smoke free. But I now seem to chain smoke that and would really love to give it up.

Any help or advice or what's your experience with ecigs

Replies

• kelseyframe91
    kelseyframe91 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi. Well done on giving up the cigs! I've been vaping now for a year and a half. I have no plans to give up but I have reduced the amount of nicotine from 10mg to 6mg. If your looking to give it up completely I'd try reducing the nicotine. Then gradually limit yourself to the amount of puffs/draws your taking throughout the day. Set a target of say 150 puffs, that's like 10/15 cigs worth. At the end of the day vaping is not as detrimental to our health as smoking, so you've done an amazing and very difficult thing in giving up the cigs. Good Luck and Stay Strong!
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, ejuice comes in different strengths, you can even get some with zero nicotine. Try weaning yourself off with the lower amounts. Good luck!
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I used vaping to help me stop smoking, and it actually worked! Ecig juice is so tasty, it just made me realize how foul cigarettes really are. And stopping the ecig was easy for me because it was SO MESSY. I was tired of having sticky juice all over everything, tanks leaking, dealing with charging devices/coils, etc.
  • kate141987
    Options
    Thanks a lot :smiley: I guess I have done the main thing and packed in the real cigarettes God knows they were slowly killing me and my bank balance. You gave a lot of good advice there and I didn't know the ratio of ecig puffs to real cigarettes so that's worth thinking about.

I will have to slowly reduce the dose of nicotine I think, trouble is I think I just really enjoy vaping lol but it's probably more linked to the nicotine more than the actual habit of using the ecig
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    My problem was that I simply enjoyed smoking, didn't get cravings for it until I quit. My husband tried the vape, only to go back to the smokes. Like you said, you've done a big part by giving up cigarettes, now you have another challenge to crush!
  • Madame_Goldbrick
    Madame_Goldbrick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 18.08.14 - Still vaping away! I decreased from high to mid strength. Then reverted to high. Can't really see a fixed point I'll stop? Maybe around the 2yr mark. I'm a complete nicotine addict still!.... And I quite enjoy it ;)
  • kate141987
    Options
    It's just like having to quit smoking all over again only not AS difficult I suppose. I think once I start going back to the gym il tackle the vaping, lowering the nicotine....just saying it makes me weep a little lol
  • Madame_Goldbrick
    Madame_Goldbrick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I will say I've had to cut down due to vapes being banned indoors in the UK now. Found that I'm sitting with a pen in my hand a lot whilst I'm typing at work instead! Definitely the mental connection of just having 'something'. Good luck OP :)
  • everythingisfat
    everythingisfat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started smoking at 13 and stopped at 18 to start camping and stopped camping this year (I'm 20)! I realized that putting /anything/ other than normal, good, clean, oxygen ain't too good for you after a couple cloud competitions with friends, ha.

Nonetheless, good for you for using ecigs/vaping! It's a good way to choose nicotine value and flavors to wean you off of strong nc content. If you have a good cape setup you should be able to change the temperature when you get less nicotine and taste full flavor (I know, I know, Nicotine and the other shot adds flavor but this helps) it'll blow your mind.

Also don't forget to try exotic blends! My favorite tastes like dark chocolate and coffee! I can't remember the brand because I picked at the label but it is so much nicer than bubblegum in your lungs I think.
  • kate141987
    Options
    I have always bought tobacco flavour oils but just the other day I tried cherry, was actually quite nice think I'm gona try switching to different flavours :smile: switch it up a bit lol
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm slowly getting lower and lower nicotine strengths.

I probably won't quit altogether though because I like the process of smoking/vaping

Throat hit and all that
  • kate141987
    Options
    Yeah the cherry 1 I tried was really low nicotine & even while drinking at the time I didn't miss the high nicotine, it must be the throat hit
  • winnie1128
    winnie1128 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have smoked e-cigarette for two years, now, i decide to give it up too, because of bad effect for my life and people around.
    At the beginning, I think there is no harm to the body to smoke ecigs, maybe not really affect. However, I am gradually addicted to the e-cigarette, almost spend a lot of time on it everyday, and feel body in a unhealthy state. I do not know why either。
    Now, I realise it. I want to give up smoking, I search how to give up smoking ecig on EcigUnit. I read more about giving up smoking tips.
    Here, I also want to learn more tips and work together to give up smoking.
  • kate141987
    Options
    I got a shock I was talking to a guy the other day, his friend got something called popcorn lung from using ecig :neutral:

I think the cheaper ecig & oil might not be the best for you. Iv been using pretty cheap oil, ecig etc.

I'm definitely working towards quitting it at least reducing the amount I use it anyway
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi guys. I smoked 20 a day for 8 years. I gave up smoking overnight using a Stop Smoking app made by Jason Vale (the juicing guy) who used to work at an Alan Carr stop smoking clinic. It was honestly very easy and not painful at all. He makes you understand the psychology behind smoking and that the "pain" of withdrawal is all in your mind. Now I know when I was smoking I would have read a comment like mine and thought pfffft she's not a real smoker I couldn't just give up I'd go nuts! And believe me all my attempts before that app had me ripping my hair out and being a real arsehole to everyone, sometimes I was even in tears. But here I am 2 and a half years later and I've never looked back.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    kate141987 wrote: »
    Anyone else thinking about giving up smoking ecigs??

I used to be a chain smoker for many years until I gave up successfully about 4 months ago. Tried every NRT available and some worked some didn't. But since going on the ecig iv had incredible results, managed to stay smoke free (tripped up on holiday ended up back on the cigs for about a fortnight) but the ecig had been a great help staying smoke free. But I now seem to chain smoke that and would really love to give it up.

Any help or advice or what's your experience with ecigs

I gave up cigarettes back in Sept 2012 and used an ecig. With the ecig I just slowly reduced the nicotine until it was zero. Once I was to zero I found myself picking it up less and less and then one day my battery just died and I didn't replace it.

I was off the ecig for about two years, but unfortunately I had a regression last September when I went through a big time bout with anxiety...I almost started smoking again, but I grabbed an ecig instead. I'm weening myself down currently and I'm at 2 mg nicotine...so pretty minimal...should be done soon.
  • JUiCY_KiSS
    JUiCY_KiSS Posts: 8,512 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've quit many times using different methods but always went back. When I quit smoking cigs for good,I quit cold turkey because I didn't want to trade one addiction for another. I just started eating healthy,threw myself into working out and being outside as much as possible getting lots of fresh air. The first week was the hardest and then I was home free but I am very strong willed too. It's been almost 5 years and let me tell you I have been through a lot of *kitten* during that time and never even thought about smoking. I've never actually vaped or done e cigs though.
  • kate141987
    Options
    My trick for giving up the ecig is I'm going to buy eliquid that I don't like. I hate the menthol flavour so il be buying that, and I know for a fact il puff on it a lot less also going to get it in lowest nicotine and then go down to zero nicotine, and just keep it handy for when I'm having a drink and get the urge to smoke something
  • 60impala60
    60impala60 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to smoke myself almost 40 yrs I'm allergic to e-cigs. I'm now 161 days smoke free,I used Chantix it doesn't work for everyone.
    Just so you know ecig liquids are the equivalent of fog machine vapor also ypu ate inhaling heavy metals from the heating element. Btw I used to sell them
  • kate141987
    Options

^
    Thanks for this info