Runners

Options
Joanna2012B
Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
I am struggling to run in the heat. Does it get easier?

Replies

• mccokat
    mccokat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I haven't found that it does for me, but I've always sucked with heat. (I live in Canada for a reason) but I did start to go running in the morning or at night, since it's cooler then. The morning is the best, in my opinion.
  • Joanna2012B
    Options
    I am in Canada too!! I run at 5 or 6 am, still over heat
  • mccokat
    mccokat Posts: 130 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Well, hats, loads of water, tree lined paths, throw yourself into a pool or cold shower after, all help me, but I haven't found the run itself to get any easier. I'm no expert though.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I definitely suffer in the heat too. I feel slower and it feels harder!

I live in Virginia and it can get quite unbearable in the summer. I miss NY weather!

I end up running indoors on the treadmill more often. Even running early morning it can be 85 degrees with high humidity! It's miserable running weather.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've always struggled running in the summer, I just don't run so well in the heat. I always run best in the winter, yet I hate winter!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You adjust to it and it gets easier, but your pace will be slower and it still sucks.
  • Joanna2012B
    Options
    Thanks all its nice to know that I am not alone in my struggle!!!
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Texas here. Ran today in 90 degrees and humidity. No decrease in suckage for me. I'm slower and my heart rate goes higher. Plus it's just not as enjoyable. You are not alone!
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Florida here - born and raised and I still loathe the summer months for this reason! I've noticed the hour before it is dark outside is the best time. But I'm only at the beginning of the summer.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. Just be smart. When the weather cools off you'll notice your gains. I go from a 9-10min/mile pace in the cool weather to 13-15m/m in the heat.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Another Canadian here.....I'd rather run at -40 than in the oppressive heat and humidity we get here in Ottawa. My solution is to get out at 5AM too, you'll acclimate to it but the general rule of thumb is to slow down a bit, make sure you're well hydrated and pay attention to what you're body is telling you.

I missed out on Race Weekend here in Ottawa due to an injury but I've hear that the medical tent was very busy this past weekend with the heat.
  • Rowood101
    Rowood101 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Interesting post. I've just started running and have my second 5K race coming up in less than 2 weeks. I'm hoping that it's not too hot (I also live in Canada). Encouraged by Elise4270 post that my pace time will improve.
  • crazydogladyjess
    crazydogladyjess Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Nice to see so many fellow Canadians. I am in the Ottawa area and have also been struggling with this heat. I may have to give the 5am run times a try
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i've heard people say it takes 2 weeks to adjust.
    just bring more water, slow down and if need be, take a shorter route
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I am in the south and the only way I can run is in the morning before the sun comes up and its still hot & humid. I did buy a bicycle for exercise after the sun comes up. I found that the breeze helps when riding but still need to go before mid morning.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For everyone talking about how hard it is to run in the heat, are we talking about something subjective, i.e. how you feel, or something measurable like times/pace?

Does it feel awful to run in the heat because you feel too hot, or does your body actually not respond well in the heat?
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    For everyone talking about how hard it is to run in the heat, are we talking about something subjective, i.e. how you feel, or something measurable like times/pace?

Does it feel awful to run in the heat because you feel too hot, or does your body actually not respond well in the heat?

Both. It feels awful, and when it gets too hot (for me that's right about 90 degrees) my pace suffers.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Performance actually does decrease in the heat as your body is using energy to try to cool itself as well as to run or whatever activity you're doing. Over time training in the heat will increase your plasma volume which helps cool you and your performance increases. There are other conditioning changes that occur from training in the heat as long as you don't push it so hard that you're actually harming yourself. I run in the heat on purpose for this reason. I keep my pace a little slower and drink more water when it gets hot but I feel that it makes a difference in my performance when the weather cools off again in the fall.
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Alabama here. I ran this morning at 4:30 and i felt like I needed gills.

12490823094727% humidity with already 75 degrees is brutal. I'm used to the heat because it doesn't ever really cool off here, but it's miserable.
  • hokiemom14
    hokiemom14 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I HATE the heat lol!!! I try to go early in the morning or evening. I live in NC so I feel like I run in the heat for about 6 months out of the year. I much prefer to layer on the winter running clothes. I struggle through as much as I can, but I'm already starting to countdown the days until October when it cools off lol.