Runners

Options

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I am struggling here in tx. It is 80-90% humidity and high 80s lately, and only getting hotter. I've found walk/jog intervals work well for me and doesn't slow my pace too much and can get 2-3 miles in after work. Maybe keep going and you can acclimate to the heat. At some point it does become dangerous, so be careful.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I live in Alabama. This morning at 5:15 a.m. it was 70 degrees and very high humidity.. dew point was through the roof. I have lived here all my life and it does not bother me nearly as bad as someone that lives in the North that might come here and run.

I went out and ran two fast miles out of the a.c. and then it took its toll, but only because my core temperature did not have to do too much adjusting, I was trying to over compensate for how little I actually had to adjust. I have been running for two years and still each run is as much mental preparedness for when you go out in the elements in the summer time.

If you mentally prepare before hand you can anticipate how you will feel and perform. You need to guage sleep and how well you ate the day before and hydrated up to your run (unless you eat before you run).

You may need to change times for your run if this is an issue for you.

• jesoverley
    jesoverley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the posts about staying hydrated, listening to your body, etc. It is great mental training though. I have also found training in the summer for autumn marathons helps me train my mental fortitude, and when it cools down in the autumn, I suddenly can pick up more speed (which is pretty fun!).
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    The best way to run in the heat easier is to run in the heat. :smile:

Have to slow down of course, may even have to not go as far, but not running is never an option.

I find it's much easier to do it in a group (running club) as everyone is in the same boat. Tomorrow's run projects to be in the upper 80s to low 90s (F).
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Texas here. I prefer the heat to the cold, but I can only run after dark. It is way too hot during the day and I feel like my skin is going to slough off. I definitely feel heavy and gross during a run in the heat. It also slows me wayyyy down. It sounds like there could be some benefits to running in the heat, but I don't think that it is worth it. I love the summer, though, because that means I get to cross train in the beautiful San Marcos River!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I am struggling here in tx. It is 80-90% humidity and high 80s lately, and only getting hotter. I've found walk/jog intervals work well for me and doesn't slow my pace too much and can get 2-3 miles in after work. Maybe keep going and you can acclimate to the heat. At some point it does become dangerous, so be careful.

Every day, all summer long in Texas. Generally it's 80 - 86 before sunrise and the humidity is about the same as the temperature. Just slow down and try to get as much done before sunrise as possible. I start adding in water breaks on longer runs when it's this hot too.
  • kimmcmahon28
    kimmcmahon28 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I live in Doha Qatar and have been running in the winter for a couple of years. This is the first year I have tried running outside in the summer and have surprised myself that I am able to. I do a slow jog with intervals of walking but have actually found that I feel hotter when I walk as there is a slight cooling wind when I run. It was 34 degrees Celsius during my last run which I think is 93 degrees! I do feel some health benefits from running in the heat as long as I don't overdo it and feel that it will definitely improve my time once the weather cools down.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for the great response!!! I will never give up on running, I have a race that I am doing on July 1st! I do cycle and can cycle in the hot humid weather!! I ran this morning, our humidity broke last night and it was glorious...even though I wish it would be -10C (14F) for me in the morning and then turn hot in the afternoon :) I noticed my pace was awesome this morning. It was 10C(50F) this morning and that I could get used to!! I am also asthmatic and the humid weather is just torture on my poor lungs. Although, running in general has helped condition my lungs!!

Happy running everyone!!!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I tried my first run in the heat yesterday. It was about 88 degrees and full sun. Luckily the humidity wasn't terrible but that sun just murdered me. I tried my best, but wound up having to walk for about half of my route. That's the last time I run in the middle of the day. Evening runs are much easier.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I run much slower in summer, and I try to be out the door at dawn, before that fireball comes up over the Sierras (I'm in California's central valley, aka on the sun! :tongue: ). I've just come to terms with the fact that my pace will be slower and my distance less during the hot months.

The only thing I really like about it is there's no guesswork on how to dress when it's hot, and getting to see the sunrise on each run. It's quiet, it's peaceful, usually just me and birds and the occasional rabbit.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Native Floridian here. I get hot and sweaty enough running as a noob... running outside in the high 80s/early 90s and humidity like steam just blows. Massively.

My heart rate shoots up and I'm farrrrr from fast. I just drink loads of water afterwards and avoid cotton. If possible, make sure you're wearing clothes that wick moisture away from the skin... last thing you need while running is a sweat-soaked t-shirt weighing you down.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one here that actually likes the heat? B) I like running at noon on a hot day. Of course I drink extra water and Gatorade (and NUUN).
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    For all us southerners that know the humidity and heat well I keep hearing "stay hydrated" but who wants to carry water with them? My solution for days that I think I will need water on a long run in the heat is to learn where any possible water fountain is. I will plan my route so I can get to a water fountain if needed. I have a few variations for "hot" routes.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Am I the only one here that actually likes the heat? B) I like running at noon on a hot day. Of course I drink extra water and Gatorade (and NUUN).

I do. Obviously it's relative to what you are used to, but temps are finally breaking 80 pretty regularly where I live and I'm loving it.
  • mave36
    mave36 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Canadian here too! And on the humid east coast at that! I've always preferred running in fall and winter. I prefer to run outdoors so I get outside every chance I get. I'm an evening runner so like someone else said evening runs before dark are the best for me. We have such a short time with a lot of heat I try not to complain
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

This makes even my eyeballs want to start sweating. It's topping 90 here today and I want to hibernate.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    For everyone talking about how hard it is to run in the heat, are we talking about something subjective, i.e. how you feel, or something measurable like times/pace?

Does it feel awful to run in the heat because you feel too hot, or does your body actually not respond well in the heat?
    It's been calculated to be around 3 seconds per mile for every 5 degrees Fahrenheit above 60 degrees, at least for 5K race times. So at 100 degrees, a 5K race will project to be 90 seconds slower than if run at 60 degrees.

Anything under 60 degrees is uneffected.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    For everyone talking about how hard it is to run in the heat, are we talking about something subjective, i.e. how you feel, or something measurable like times/pace?

Does it feel awful to run in the heat because you feel too hot, or does your body actually not respond well in the heat?
    It's been calculated to be around 3 seconds per mile for every 5 degrees Fahrenheit above 60 degrees, at least for 5K race times. So at 100 degrees, a 5K race will project to be 90 seconds slower than if run at 60 degrees.

Anything under 60 degrees is uneffected.

Thanks for that. It'll help me manage my expectations. I have a 5k here in Texas in July, and my first 10k in August.
  • BlueberryWatermelon
    BlueberryWatermelon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Another Canadian here! And nope, I hate running in the heat. I'll do it if I'm forced to, but I hate it. I think my favourite conditions are 10 or 15C, low humidity, light winds, and overcast sky (but no precip).

Happy running, everyone! :)
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    As others have said, slow down. Use perceived exertion, your pace will be slower but the effort is the same. Hydrate, hydrate, and hydrate some more. Pee then keep hydrating :smile: Wear a hat or visor and sun block. The good news is that once the weather gets cooler in the fall, you'll be faster than ever!