Small changes add up

Options
I have recently made 2 little changes to my breakfast that really make a difference in my calorie count. I love peanut butter for breakfast, so I have it on whole wheat bread. I also MUST have my coffee in the morning and I am slowly weaning off the added stuff and trying to get to where I can drink it black. In the past, the total calorie count was 463 calories for what I considered a pretty healthy breakfast that would get me through the morning:
1 piece Oregon Trail 100% whole wheat bread - 110 cal.
2 TBSP Adams' peanut butter - 200 cal.
4 TBSP cream - 80 cal.
1/2 grapefruit - 52 cal.
1/4 cup blueberries - 21 cal.
Grand total - 463 calories

I have switched to Franz 100 % whole wheat bread, which is smaller and is only 80 calories per slice. Because it is smaller, it only requires 1 TBSP peanut butter to cover it. I have also been using skim milk instead of half and half. My breakfast calorie count for this breakfast choice now looks like this:
1 piece Franz 100% whole wheat bread: 80 cal.
1 TBSP Adams' peanut butter - 100 cal.
1/4 cup skim milk - 23 cal.
1/2 grapefruit - 52 cal.
Grand total - 276 calories

That is a BIG difference! Heck, that's a glass of wine at night! :drinker: I am going to continue to seek out little ways like this to cut back without depriving myself. Just thought I would share. :smile:

Replies

• kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Nice work!
    I've managed to wean myself off sugar in my coffee, but drinking it black tastes like death. Bleugh! Maybe one day.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    laughing cow cheese wedges - 35 calories per wedge

Way to modify..... Good Job!!!
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    WOW! Good work on the huge calorie reduction!
    I love bread. LOVE. haha. I have recently discovered Sara Lee's reduced calorie bread. 45 calories a slice and doesn't taste like cardboard :)
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Nice work!
    I've managed to wean myself off sugar in my coffee, but drinking it black tastes like death. Bleugh! Maybe one day.

I know, I'm down to the skim milk and 1/2 a packet of Splenda. This from a girl who USED to drink a giant mocha every morning. Then I switched to the cream and Splenda. I've come a long way, but I feel like if I could drink it black it would just save wasted calories. I just have to learn to like it that way.
  • get_fit2009
    Options
    I love bread. LOVE. haha. I have recently discovered Sara Lee's reduced calorie bread. 45 calories a slice and doesn't taste like cardboard :)

Thanks for the tip - I need to remember that for days when I am saving calories for a special dinner out, that would be one more way to cut some out.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I have recently made 2 little changes to my breakfast that really make a difference in my calorie count. I love peanut butter for breakfast, so I have it on whole wheat bread. I also MUST have my coffee in the morning and I am slowly weaning off the added stuff and trying to get to where I can drink it black. In the past, the total calorie count was 463 calories for what I considered a pretty healthy breakfast that would get me through the morning:
    4 TBSP cream - 80 cal.
    1/2 grapefruit - 52 cal.

I have switched to Franz 100 % whole wheat bread, which is smaller and is only 80 calories per slice. Because it is smaller, it only requires 1 TBSP peanut butter to cover it. I have also been using skim milk instead of half and half. My breakfast calorie count for this breakfast choice now looks like this:
    1/2 grapefruit - 52 cal.

That is a BIG difference! Heck, that's a glass of wine at night! :drinker: I am going to continue to seek out little ways like this to cut back without depriving myself. Just thought I would share. :smile:

Good job! Have you looked at Sara Lee Delightful breads? 45 calories a slice, only 9 grams of carbs, and I think it's quite tasty!

Kris
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Ah, beat me to it--good job!

Kris
  • get_fit2009
    Options
    4 TBSP cream - 80 cal.
    1/2 grapefruit - 52 cal.

1/2 grapefruit - 52 cal.

Good job! Have you looked at Sara Lee Delightful breads? 45 calories a slice, only 9 grams of carbs, and I think it's quite tasty!

Kris

Great minds must think alike - see the post above. Glad to hear that more than one person likes it, sometimes the really "diet" kinds are like wasa bread....:sick:
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Options

I love the Reduced Calorie bread!
  • packersdan
    packersdan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome! Its always good to look for the small changes that you sometimes dont notice, because like you said, they definitely add up!

I am down to just one cup of coffee a day and I now only use the powdered creamer, so I really know what you mean when you say having to learn to like it.

Also, I dont know if anyone else has done this, but having a coffee cup warmer at my desk helped me reduce the number of cups I have. I think I was subconsciously drinking my coffee fast because I didnt want it to get cold (nothing worse than taking a huge swig of cold coffee HORLIT!!). So now that I have a warmer, and I know my coffee will always be hot, I was able to slow down on my intake. Just a thought!
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    Love the Sara Lee 45 calorie multigrain bread!
  • get_fit2009
    Options
    Love the Sara Lee 45 calorie multigrain bread!

Wow, I am going to have to go to the store and get some tomorrow, everyone is raving! Thanks!
  • jenjam27
    jenjam27 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ok I have a question at 35 yrs old I just started drinking coffee lol I bought my hubby a kuerig machine and I'm hooked, my coffee is only 2 calories, I put ff creamer in which is like 25cal for 1tbls which I never use the whole amt and I use 2 splendas I drink about 2 cups a day, am I missing something what is wrong with coffee ? Why is everyone trying to get off it, I just want to know since I just started drinking it and get hooked, it doesn't do much for me other than curb my appetite which can be good lol
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    If you aren't tracking Calcium, start to track it before you wean yourself off skim milk, Kath. It is packed with Calcium that is difficult to obtain any other way (not to mention the Vit D....the sun won't last forever). I really think skim milk is a bargain nutritionally. Cream? Notsomuch.

I started making my own chocolate for the special treats. Hersheys Cocoa powder, water and not very much sugar, boiled, works great if you use it in milk, (or coffee with milk) which is naturally sweet. Low cal, good to bust that chocolate urge.
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Good job girl! I love the way you think !!!! Keeping the things we enjoy in our lives is very important. Finding ways to alter them into our new healthy life style can be challenging . If we are going to be realisitc, we can't give up everything we enjoy or we are setting ourselves up for failure. I will be thinking about this when I make my meal/snack choices. OH! and in all honesty... I have been known to work out harder just so I can enjoy some wine with my friends!
    Wishing you all the best in your journey!
  • get_fit2009
    Options
    If you aren't tracking Calcium, start to track it before you wean yourself off skim milk, Kath. It is packed with Calcium that is difficult to obtain any other way (not to mention the Vit D....the sun won't last forever). I really think skim milk is a bargain nutritionally. Cream? Notsomuch.

I started making my own chocolate for the special treats. Hersheys Cocoa powder, water and not very much sugar, boiled, works great if you use it in milk, (or coffee with milk) which is naturally sweet. Low cal, good to bust that chocolate urge.

I shall need to remember this little chocolate tidbit when PMS strikes. :grumble:

About the calcium, I do take a supplement and don't mind having milk as an actual drink with my lunch. I just feel like if I could learn to like it black, it might be a good pick me up every once in a while without adding calories. It is WAY less calories now that I've changed to skim milk, though.
  • get_fit2009
    Options
    Ok I have a question at 35 yrs old I just started drinking coffee lol I bought my hubby a kuerig machine and I'm hooked, my coffee is only 2 calories, I put ff creamer in which is like 25cal for 1tbls which I never use the whole amt and I use 2 splendas I drink about 2 cups a day, am I missing something what is wrong with coffee ? Why is everyone trying to get off it, I just want to know since I just started drinking it and get hooked, it doesn't do much for me other than curb my appetite which can be good lol

I don't think that coffee itself is inherently bad in moderation. I just tend to doctor it up too much. I do think if you drink TOO much it can't be good for you because of all the caffeine.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    4 TBSP cream - 80 cal.
    1/2 grapefruit - 52 cal.

1/2 grapefruit - 52 cal.

You are on the right track. This is how I lost weight. Figure out the things you will not do without and the things you can and make it all work for you. congrats and kudos to you for sharing with others!