C25K tips and pals

Options
I really want to get into running on a regular basis but keep struggling with either aggravating my knee or struggling with how to best increase it. I'm going to do a 5 k training program to help keep me accountible as it will force me to commit to x runs a week, and take the guess work out of how to increase. I think the beginning will be less than what I do currently so I may skip ahead a week or 2. I think I'll use the C25K app as it pairs with mfp.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips, about that app or running in general, and if anyone else is doing the same/similar? Would love more motivated mfpals to help keep motivated and accountable.

Replies

• Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I used to have knee issues when running back in college. Chondromalacia patella apparently, according to the campus doctor. I used a similar 5k app last summer (5k runner). My only advice is to not skip ahead, but don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you're not able to keep up with the progression yet. I repeated 2-3 weeks I think, and was able to work up to a good 5k time by the end without any pain. I'm doing the 10k runner app now (starting at week 3). The first 8 weeks is a repeat of the 5k one, and the last 6 weeks get you to a 10k.
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have done the C25K and C210K. It is an amazing program. My schedule is hectic and inconsistent so I just got out there as often as I could and did the next day. I was usually able to get 3-4 days in. I definitely recommend skipping a week or 2 if you already have some endurance built up. But don't skip too much and push yourself too hard. The program is built to help you build endurance.
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Best tip for any beginner is go slow. Think slow jog, not run. Once you work up to jogging 45-60 minutes slowly, then think about increasing the pace if you want. Endurance is what you need right now, not speed.

C25K is a great program. Just trust it and don't try to increase faster than it says, even if it seems easy. There's no rush :)
  • Tricia2013
    Tricia2013 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would like to get into running myself. I have knee issues also. Any advice on how to get started? My 8 year old wants to get into a program Girls on the Run and there is a 5k at the end of the program she wants me to run with her. I have not ran in years.

My other issue is I am overweight and 50 yrs old. I did get the clear from my doctor to start training but do not know where to begin.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Start with walking only until you can walk 3-5 miles at a good pace. Then start C25K. Age doesn't matter, but weight might, depending on how overweight you are and what your current fitness level is. I just completed C25K a few days before my 61st birthday. 2 years ago I was 140 pounds heavier than now and could barely walk!
  • Tricia2013
    Tricia2013 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I was 100 lbs over weight. Already lost 20lbs. I have been very active. Walking 3-5 miles should not be a problem. So I will start with that until I do not get tired.
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing the C25k, tomorrow I'll be doing wk6 day2, I'd say take it easy, don't give up if you have a bad day, if you need to repeat a day/week and just keep going. As the weeks go on it does get harder, but it gives you such a buzz when you finish and especially when I look back to see just how far I've come.
    Good luck.
  • dk6boys
    dk6boys Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've been doing c25k on and off for years. Sadly never have finished it. I just started back up last week, and was able to start at week 3 with no issues. I'm so determined this time to stick with it. Become that runner I've always wanted to be.
    How do you connect mfp and c25k?
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    My main tips:

1. Do the whole program from the beginning. If you have knee issues, this is particularly important, because running puts a lot of stress on bones and connective tissue. I did C25K from start to finish even though I had been a serious distance cyclist for 6 years when I got back into running.

2. Run slowly. If you can't speak in complete sentences, slow down until you can. This will put less stress on your knees while still developing your bones, connective tissue, muscles, and cardiovascular system. A lot of beginners think that "run" means "sprint"; they end up pushing too hard, feeling awful, and giving up. Or they tough it out the first 2-3 weeks but can't sustain it in the later weeks with longer running intervals. Ideally, you should finish each workout feeling like you could run several more minutes if you had to.

Have fun, and good luck!
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    dk6boys wrote: »
    I use the c25k program in the rundouble app-it automatically syncs with MFP after an initial setup. I track my run and it crosses over to mfp with nothing extra on my part.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the app and plan to start C25k this week. I've always been a swimmer, so this should be interesting.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    dk6boys wrote: »
    I use the c25k program in the rundouble app-it automatically syncs with MFP after an initial setup. I track my run and it crosses over to mfp with nothing extra on my part.

I could never get it to sync.