Gaining instead of losing?

Options
I was doing great, lost almost 20 lbs doing 1200 calories while working out daily! Now, instead of hitting a plateau, I am slowly gaining a little weight back (1.5 lbs so far). Granted, I am doing cardio with Dumbbells but like 5 & 8 lbs. I still have fat to lose around my mid section and thighs. Could I potentially be creating muscle and that is where my weight gain is? I am eating healthier than I ever have before and I'm not going hungry. But I have had a few late night snacks (but only when under my 1200 calories in total daily though!). I know that's bad... But when I stay up late and I'm at 1.050 or 1.100 and hungry - I tend to eat to fill up to 1,200. I just want to know if I'm screwing up my work or if maybe it's muscle.

Thanks!

Replies

• smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Sometimes that will happen to me then all of a sudden the next week I will lose that plus an extra pound or two, maybe water retention or you very well could be gaining muscle. Take measurements that is better to keep track of than pounds. Also if aunt flow is about to visit that could be it. I always gain a pound or two right before my period keep it through my period then about 2 days after I lose it...
  • IceBaroque
    IceBaroque Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My hips have consistently gotten smaller (over the course of a few months though) as well as my waist. But I would imagine it would take the same amount of time, and added weight back, to increase the inches in both - so I haven't seen a change in either of those measurements. I don't measure elsewhere, although I probably should. No AF coming anytime soon, perhaps water retention as I increased it lately. Thanks :)
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    For me the best way to tell is to use my tape measure when the scale isn't moving or going in the wrong direction. At a minimum tape yourself at your chest/waist/hips, and compare the measurements from week to week (or every couple of weeks). If the measurements are decreasing, but the scale is increasing a bit, you are probably seeing some muscle. You can also tape in areas such as neck, shoulders, biceps, triceps, thighs, calves, if you are looking for a specific area of improvement. Alternate to the tape test is the much less precise "clothing test"...are your pants and shirts less tight than previously?

Also a pound or so could just be water weight. Is it that time of the month? I can easily gain 1-2 pounds (or more), and then it drops later in the week.

Since you've lost 20 pounds have you readjusted your macros for the new weight lost? It is my understanding you may need to change up your macros as you start to lose ~5-10 pounds. Though 1200 is supposed to be the minimum a woman eats daily.

It could also be possible that 1200 is too little for you to be eating for your activity level, so your body may be reacting by putting on weight. (I was having this problem where I wasn't eating enough so I was gaining instead of losing.) Can't tell since you don't provide much information about yourself.

Time of day when you eat, shouldn't be negatively affecting you. But if eating later is leading to you getting less or restless sleep, then maybe you want to avoid the late night snacks and try to work in the calories earlier. Sleep is key for your body to rebuild and rejuvenate.

It could be any number of things, and we're all different. Good luck figuring it out.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Probably water retention not muscle. Doesn't sound like you are doing anything to promote muscle growth
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    3birdz wrote: »
    I was doing great, lost almost 20 lbs doing 1200 calories while working out daily! Now, instead of hitting a plateau, I am slowly gaining a little weight back (1.5 lbs so far). Granted, I am doing cardio with Dumbbells but like 5 & 8 lbs. I still have fat to lose around my mid section and thighs. Could I potentially be creating muscle and that is where my weight gain is? I am eating healthier than I ever have before and I'm not going hungry. But I have had a few late night snacks (but only when under my 1200 calories in total daily though!). I know that's bad... But when I stay up late and I'm at 1.050 or 1.100 and hungry - I tend to eat to fill up to 1,200. I just want to know if I'm screwing up my work or if maybe it's muscle.

Thanks!

You could be gaining a little muscle, but keep in mind that an average woman doing everything right to build muscle will gain somewhere around half a pound of muscle per month. So it's much more likely to be water retention or other fluctuations.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1

Also I just want to point out that unless eating late causes you reflux issues or sleeping problems, it's absolutely fine to grab a late night snack as long as you're still within your calorie limits.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You may need to look at your routine and change some things. Weight gain can happen for a variety of reasons.

You will not be experiencing muscle gains... you need much more calories than you are currently consuming. I would bet you are experiencing water weight gain
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    To echo what people have already said. It is highly unlikely that you have gained any noticeable muscle whilst in a caloric deficit. It is either water retention or you are not in a deficit?!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    If you are eating in a deficit (or even maintenance) you will not build muscle faster than you will burn fat (if you are building any at all, which isn't likely lifting 8lb dumbbells). It most likely is water retention either due to eating more carbs, your period, replenishing glycogen stores, eating more sodium, etc.... Heck, you could have had an artificially low weight and your body is restoring the water balance back to "normal" (whatever that is). There are tons of reasons and we pretty much can't pinpoint it.

If your weight has been stuck for more than 2 weeks then take a serious look at your logging as you are either making mistakes or letting things slide. If it is 2 weeks or less than just keep on going as this is normal and happens to most people.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Probably already said, but it's unlikely that you are gaining muscle on 1200 calories. It's probably just water weight that'll slide off in a few days or a week or so. Also, if that 20 pounds bought you into a normal BMI, it's going to be much more difficult to continue losing than it was if you started out at an overweight BMI. You'll have to be very accurate. If you don't already, use a food scale for everything and I mean everything. And time of day shouldn't have an effect on your weight. If it did, I'd be big as a house lol.
    Switch up your workout routine and try something new (note that this might also cause some initial water retention in your muscles, depending on what you do). And take a rest day if you don't already. Rest days are when your body does its best work, not workout days.

Best of luck!!! :)