PCOS: Plateau!

Options
GMAllison
GMAllison Posts: 9 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I have PCOS. I am 37, have lost 92 lbs so far eating low carb and low sugar, have about 20-30 more to go, and i have hit a neverending plateau. A two-month plateau. I have tried changing my eating and exercise, and nothing has really helped. That is why I have finally ended up tracking calories on MyFitnessPal. I take metformin, Victoza, and supplements prescribed by my doctor including fish oil, NAC, baby aspirin, prenatal vitamins, CoQ10.

I am sort of at a loss for what to do. MFP has recommended 1300 calories a day, which is a challenge most days. I do better if I exercise and earn extra calories that way, but I cannot make it to the gym every single day. When I go to the gym, about 3 times a week, I do about 20 minutes of intense cardio, followed by about an hour of strength training, as recommended by my doctor for my PCOS and insulin resistance.

I'm starting to get very discouraged. I just want to hit my goal, which is at least another 25 pounds gone. Any advice?

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    How many pounds per week is the 1300 for? If you need more food, you may need to reduce your weekly loss to .5lbs. It might be frustratingly slow, but it will be a sustainable loss and you will feel like you are eating enough.

Make sure you have a food scale and weigh your food. On days you can't go to the gym, try to take a walk--as long or short as you can.
  • GMAllison
    Options
    It's for. 1.5 lbs a week. I have actually been managing to keep to it pretty well the last few days, and get to the gym, but my weight is going up. This is making me crazy. :(
  • GMAllison
    Options
    I definitely weigh everything on my food scale.
  • catsdogsh
    catsdogsh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    PCOS is really the biggest pain in the butt!! I'm PCOS, diabetic, hypothyroid. I'm on the Metformin and a bunch of supplements. Originally MFP seriously over estimated my calories. They set my at 1700. I actually have to be at 1200 or less to lose.
  • catsdogsh
    catsdogsh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Oh another thing that helps even though it makes no sense calorie wise to others. People like us need to get more of our calories from protein and not no carbs, but lower. We hold on to the carbs more because they raise the blood sugar
  • GMAllison
    Options
    I have my macros set to 15% carbs, 20 protein, the rest fat. Most days I am around 25% carbs and the rest protein and fat. Higher than a ketogenic diet, but still pretty low carb, I think. I just don't understand what is happening. I lost 55 pounds with almost no problem, and then it came to a dead stop. I'm going to see my doctor in about 2 weeks. They did recently change my thyroid medication dose, but my thyroid levels are normal. I am so frustrated.
  • Ket0Mermaid
    Ket0Mermaid Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    may need to change carb to 5% and up the fat and protein
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Wow, how tall are you and what is your current weight? 1300 per day and you aren't losing at all? Itsimpossible!
  • Jenwhitton1
    Jenwhitton1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You may want to try to lower carbs to around 5%, and do moderate fat and moderate protein. You may want to check this website out that has a macro calculator http://mindyourmacros.squarespace.com/#macro-calculator
    A lot of people eat low carb, high fat, and moderate protein, however when you have weight to lose you may want to consider lowering the amount of fat that you are eating. The website above has tons of good info. I too have PCOS and only see weight loss when I lower the carbs to around 5-10%, and eat moderate fat and moderate protein.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Don't get frustrated!

I echo the advice - change your carb intake to %5 net carbs and up your fat intake. Most of your carbs should come from veggies high in fiber and a little bit of high fiber fruit (ie blackberries or raspberries). Make sure your deficit isn't so low that it sends your body into some sort of starvation mode, and remember that us ladies have a bit more difficult time losing weight due to hormones and that TOM. I fluctuate 2-3lbs depending on my cycle.

My favorite LC veggies are: Spinach, spaghetti squash, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, romaine lettuce, kale, cucumber, red/green peppers (in small amounts) and celery. A full list can be found here: http://www.ruled.me/best-low-carb-vegetables-ketogenic-diet/
  • jacbianc5290
    jacbianc5290 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! trying grain and dairy free except for breakfast because it helps my digestive system