Alcohol

Options
So does anyone have an alcohol problem ? I hate craving drinks when I'm dieting.

Replies

• nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    When I do go out for drinks, I stick to vodka and diet soda. Or vodka, and crystal light with water.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm a lightweight now, if that's what you mean. I'm a cheap drunk! Yay me!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by alcohol problem? I don't drink so much anymore since I like drinking my calories in coffee. :lol: I don't think I've really ever craved a drink, but I usually have mixed drinks.
  • jamacianredhair
    jamacianredhair Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it a problem. As long as it fit in with your calorie goals it's fine.

It's just empty calories like soda, so you have to decide how much you want it. We drink liquor and cut out the beer and wine.

Now I still drink beer but not as often as I used. Just like the foods I used to endulge on. Make the right choices that will still slow you to lose!
  • crystalroselynn
    crystalroselynn Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I just deal with a lot of stress and I go out a lot with friends and family so it's hard to put drinks down
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I just deal with a lot of stress and I go out a lot with friends and family so it's hard to put drinks down

This is my life exactly. I had to start thinking about alcohol differently:
    1) 3 or 4 drinks means sacrificing real nutrition, and then I'm hungry, and then I have no inhibitions so I eat everything and I've blown my goal.
    2) I'm trying to be a healthier person, and stress/binge drinking isn't healthy. I don't allow myself to drink when I'm stressed or sad now; there's better ways to cope with those emotions.
    3) Research suggests frequently having more than 1 drink a day leads to an increased risk of breast cancer for women, and since there's already a history of breast cancer in my family I really need to look after my health.

Once I started aligning my mindset to drinking less alcohol for health reasons than to meet a calorie goal, it really helped me scale back. Out with friends? I order a big red wine that I'll sip on instead of something lighter that I'll drink quickly. Drink water with alcohol, always. Give yourself a limit on drinks, and switch to club soda after that. You can pass it off as a vodka soda if people tend to pressure you to keep drinking. Try to do activities that don't revolve around drinking.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Are you going over your calories? If not, have your drinks.
  • escotech2883
    escotech2883 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Remember each oz of any type of hard liquor is 100 calories. Even if you are drinking it with diet soda or tonic. Soda is not as much of the problem as alcohol is itself
  • Adiemus200
    Adiemus200 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love craft beer. I exercise a fair bit to accommodate my beer drinking. I also have a stressful job which doesn't help. What works for me is exersise before I drink my beer in the evening. For some odd reason I find I feel the effects of alcahol more after exercise than if I was to drink without exersise.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Remember each oz of any type of hard liquor is 100 calories. Even if you are drinking it with diet soda or tonic. Soda is not as much of the problem as alcohol is itself

Down here they only serve shots (1 oz) not jiggers (1.5 oz) so my drinks re only 64 calories!

They also charge in the $7 a shot range, so a bloody mary in a pint glass is $15 (and you KNOW they still only put one shot in ;) )
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I had to stop with the beer for the weight loss, brutal but necessary in my case. C'est la vie.
  • Shh_niqua
    Shh_niqua Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I cut alcohol out completely when I decided to get serious about losing the last 20 lbs. I had to mentally become strong enough to stick to this and with Patron that just doesn't happen! I have a high tolerance for alcohol and can close down the bar all weekend long (which makes for a b**ch to be up at 6am for a 2 mile run). I'll easily drink 1000+calories in booze a night at the bar (Patron neat is at the least 100 cals each) and that's not including if I have mixed drinks with added calories. It's hard as hell because I'm a bartender but I've got goals to squash so I'll give up booze if that's what it's gonna take!
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I have an alcohol problem! I had to stop completely because it became too big of a problem. The good news is not drinking is a lot cheaper and water is a lot fewer calories. :)
  • LOOKlove
    LOOKlove Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey crystal.
    Have you ever tired drinking apple cider vinager? It help kick cravings butt! Plus it also promotes balance and a healthy digestive tract.

I have suffered from drinking for many months, which resulted me having horrible skin, like acne, since I stop drinking my face is now clear and I have lost weight
    Hopefully you can find peace and meditate off alcohol
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Raising my hand. I need to get serious and cut it to weekends only.... I can't help it, i crave it too. But i need to figure out how to cut back alot !
  • rhsdancer5
    rhsdancer5 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have resorted to lite beers for the most part. I will have a mixed drink very rarely because I believe you should enjoy your life and not be miserable. Keep doing the best and don't beat yourself up if you have an extra drink or two sometimes:p
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Adiemus200 wrote: »
    I love craft beer. I exercise a fair bit to accommodate my beer drinking. I also have a stressful job which doesn't help. What works for me is exersise before I drink my beer in the evening. For some odd reason I find I feel the effects of alcahol more after exercise than if I was to drink without exersise.

Me too. I go out of my way to have calories left for good beer almost every day. Luckily not all craft beer is high in calories - there's a great variety. I can have a Russian Imperial Stout for 300 kcal, an IPA for 210 kcal, or a Helles for 120 kcal.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I very rarely drank to begin with, but when I did I drank alot and know if I had a drink now I'd want more than just 1 or 2 glasses, so have just completely cut it out until I'm maintaining and maybe not even then as I don't miss it at all (didn't even have a drink a my Brother's wedding except a sip of champagne for the toast)