Food choices

Options
Hi there all
I have downloaded this ap for a week now, I've tried a couple of really strict diets but found the list of not allowed foods was so endless I gave up. I've been doing under 1200 calories most days but am I right in thinking as long as a keep under my target intake it dosnt matter what I eat? Within reason, even wouldn't only eat 1200 calories of chocy in a day and nothing else

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What you eat matters for your health, but for weight loss it comes down to the number of calories you consume. You don't have to have a list of forbidden foods.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It's very difficult to go from eating anything and everything you want to relying solely on healthy foods. But part of dieting is changing habits.
    I'd choose something you can't live without - say chocolate - and eat a tiny bit at the end of the day if you have the calories left. (And you must log it).
    There is nothing forbidden on the chart, so if it's within your calorie range I'd say go ahead.
    But there's no getting away from it, if you don't eat a balanced diet and cut right down on highly sugary or fatty foods, you'll feel awful and you won't lose weight.
    Stick to the healthy options and I guarantee you you'll feel amazing quite soon.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For weight loss it doesn't matter.

But 1200 calories is typically not enough to meet all your nutrient needs, so if you really insist on eating 1200 calories, you should probably make them as nutritious as possible.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What you eat matters for your health, but for weight loss it comes down to the number of calories you consume. You don't have to have a list of forbidden foods.

This, but you also should be reaching 1200 calories (if not more), not staying under, to make sure you're getting proper nutrition and fueling your body.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The only reason I eat less 'junk' food than I used to isn't because I banned myself from it (I do eat chocolate every day still, just less of it), it's because it isn't as filling or satisfying as something else that I could be eating for the same amount of calories. There's no such thing as "bad" and "good" food for me anymore, it's "not filling enough to be worth the calories, so eat small amounts" or "filling enough to be worth it, eat normal portions of it."
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    You can eat what you like as long as you don't eat more than your maintenance number. I have had really horrible days food wise with nothing all that healthy and then days where I was super conscious of my food choices. They even out. I will say with lower cal allowance it helps you stay on plan to eat plenty of protein and fat to keep you feeling full. You will figure out the right balance for yourself. Everyone is different.