Slim fast

Options
Anyone tried slim fast meal replacement shakes? How was it for you

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I tried. and tried. and tried. Basically they were sickly sweet, so I started my day off craving more sweet. They're not the greatest quality, so they didn't stick with me long (seriously, I'm not in favour of meal replacements of any type, but Slim Fast are like the McDonalds of meal replacements). I'm pretty sure I didn't lose a lb, despite torturing myself with them for weeks.

For the same calories, and a much better nutritional return, I can make myself a fast tasty breakfast and a portable lunch which suits me way better.
  • kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have tried it and it was awful. They tasted gross and didn't have enough protein to keep me full. I didn't lose any weight (only my wallet got lighter)

I prefer to eat my calories but, sometimes I just need something on the go when I don't have a ton of time to stop and make/eat a full meal. For me I will have my protein powder (chocolate) with a tsp of peanut butter or half of a banana. I blend it in milk usually. I find that very filling and it tastes great. I will still eat my regular meals otherwise but i will use this as a breakfast when I am really jammed for time

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I did slim fast back in college. The shakes were chalky and sat in my stomach weirdly. Any weight that I did lose I gained back when I quit the program. I honestly don't know why I stuck with those shakes so long except that I had no clue how weight loss worked at the time.

While I do think it's possible to have success with slim fast, it's not something I'd personally recommend to most people. The great thing about the MFP-style of weight loss is that it teaches you all of the healthy habits you need to transition successfully into weight maintenance. Things like portion sizes, food choices, macros, etc. Slim fast just doesn't give you the same tools for success in the long run.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Overpriced crud. :)

And yes, learning to eat properly and well will pay off for you big time now and in the future.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I would suggest learning to eat better and proper portion sizes with real food rather than using meal replacement shakes as a crutch. Eventually you will have to learn it sooner or later.

Yep.
  • crystalmorrison378
    crystalmorrison378 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I use slim fast in the mornings for breakfast when I'm in a hurry to get out the door. The new chocolate high protein shake they have is actually not bad. It has 24 grams of protein and it does curb my hunger. I get the powder, not the stuff already mixed up. I don't follow their plan tho.. I just use it for breakfast sometimes.
  • FionaPlum
    FionaPlum Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it now and so far quite happy on them. I've done it before years ago and I know it can work for me with a 2 lb a week consistent loss over a period of time. Once you've lost the weight you need to think about maintenance and not go back to old ways. It's good if you don't mind the shakes/meal replacement bars. I can't stand the chocolate shake (makes me gag) BUT I quite like the caffe latte, banana and caramel shakes. The snacks are really good and great for someone who likes the odd packet of crisps or chocolate bar as you can legitately include them into your intake with no guilt. One snack bar is a good substitute for a Mars bar and another is a good substitute for s Snickers bar! One of the crisp type ones is a good substitute for Mini Cheddars! Up until day 3 I admit I felt hungry but after that I haven't had any issues with hunger at all. It's easy and all I need to think about is what I will do for my 600 calorie meal that day. Once I've finished the Slim Fast merchandise I bought on sale I'll go onto the 5 2 diet that I've been researching for a while now. It sounds sustainable for a way of life afterwards and the health benefits can't be ignored.

I think Slim Fast is good for three months max and it does show results as it is a 1300 for women or 1500 for men calorie diet so you can't help but see results with that. It is structured and involves very little thought as most of your day is planned out food wise.

If you try the products and can't stomach them then obviously you won't stick on it very long though.
  • SkunkOnARug
    SkunkOnARug Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've tried Slim Fast in the past. Many years ago and I didn't lose a lot of weight on it. Then, of course, I gained it back. These days I don't eat or drink anything that has a lot of added ingredients in it especially if the words are hard to pronounce. I'm eating as natural as possible and this is working better for me than anything I have ever done in my entire life.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I lasted 2 days on it lol.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    May be useful for some people, but what happens when you reach your goal.
    Learning moderation and portion control go a long way towards long term success. Starting out eating regular food helps you transition into maintenance, but everyone is different, so whatever works for you is right.
  • chelharding
    chelharding Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been doing slim fast for about a week and a half. I got a container of mix off Amazon that makes 34 shakes for 16 bucks.. Chocolate royal is delicious and I am finding it does satisfy my sweet craving and keeps me full for about 4 hrs. I'm not following their 3 2 1 plan exactly, just using for meal supplement when I see fit, and so far I'm satisfied with the purchase!!:)
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Didn't work for me.
  • KaeCir09
    KaeCir09 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I tried drinking the vanilla shake in the morning. Four hours later I was starving and had a lot of gas. It is better to plan your meals and eat smaller portions. Also, walking or any form of exercise will help with cravings.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I would suggest learning to eat better and proper portion sizes with real food rather than using meal replacement shakes as a crutch. Eventually you will have to learn it sooner or later.

Totally this^

I used Slim Fast shakes in the past. I too gained the weight back (big surprise). I got fat eating real food.....so measuring & logging real food is an extremely important lesson for weight maintenance.