Carbs

Options
nppham
nppham Posts: 4 Member
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to get everyone's opinion. I currently am trying to decrease my carb intake (currently my goal is 120g per day) and increase my protein, but it seems like I can't seem to keep my carb intake in check. It's mainly the logging of my fruits and veggies that use most of it. Does anyone not log their fruits and veggies? Or if you do, do you have any other ideas on high protein/low carb snacks and/or meals? Thanks!

Replies

• nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should count fruits and vegetables! Focus on eating healthy foods, not on carb intake. There are good carbs and bad carbs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How much protein are you consuming and how much do you weigh? But when I was logging, I definitely logged fruits and veggies as I was getting about 300-400 calories worth a day.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If you are counting macros you should log everything. If I had to pick I would definitely say log fruits since they are more carb heavy in general. Veggies would depend (I only log the starchy veggies), but I would still say to log them.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Here's a (non-exhaustive) list of protein-rich foods. It could help give you some ideas/options.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789

Also - could you open your food diary? That might give us a better way of seeing how/where you could make simple changes.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    You should log everything you eat including fruit & veg. I ate 338 calories today in fruit & veg so it does add up.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    nm212 wrote: »
    I don't think you should count fruits and vegetables! Focus on eating healthy foods, not on carb intake. There are good carbs and bad carbs.

Carbs are carbs. If you want to keep your calories level while increasing another macro like protein, you'll have to end up reducing carbs or fat (or both) one way or another.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Carbs are great.
  • Gemzzz12
    Gemzzz12 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been eating low GI foods for a while now. Its great, I don't get caught up in how many carbs I'm eating, I'm eating lots of nutritious foods and my appetite has decreased. So this involves eating complex carbs such as fruit, oats, veg.. I avoid simple carbs such as wheat, cakes, cereal ect.

Heres a long but in depth article if you want to know more: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/zaino14.htm

Complex carbs are good! :D
  • TR0berts
    Options
    Gemzzz12 wrote: »
    I've been eating low GI foods for a while now. Its great, I don't get caught up in how many carbs I'm eating, I'm eating lots of nutritious foods and my appetite has decreased. So this involves eating complex carbs such as fruit, oats, veg.. I avoid simple carbs such as wheat, cakes, cereal ect.

Heres a long but in depth article if you want to know more: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/zaino14.htm

The carbs in fruit are typically simple carbs.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I think it balances out because wheat is a complex carbohydrate.
  • TR0berts
    Options

I think it balances out because wheat is a complex carbohydrate.

:sigh: Yeah, I guess.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log everything.
    If you want to reduce carbs and increase proteins, eat less fruit, bread, rice, carby-veggies, and cereal/oatmeal.

Eat whole yogurt, dark and white meat chicken and turkey, pork chops, eggs, almonds, chia seeds, cheese, tuna, salmon, bacon, ham, beef, kale, yogurt, hemp seeds, broccoli, green peas, mushrooms, bean sprouts, parsley, zucchini, bamboo shoots, cauliflower, bok choy.
  • nppham
    nppham Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    How much protein are you consuming and how much do you weigh? But when I was logging, I definitely logged fruits and veggies as I was getting about 300-400 calories worth a day.

I'm trying to eat around 130 g of protein per day, but definitely not hitting that goal

Here's a (non-exhaustive) list of protein-rich foods. It could help give you some ideas/options.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789

Also - could you open your food diary? That might give us a better way of seeing how/where you could make simple changes.

I've opened my diary for the public to look at. Any advice or changes are welcome :)

Thanks everyone already for the great discussion so far!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Also please provide stats: age, weight, height :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Step 1: get your logging consistent and under control.
  • Gemzzz12
    Gemzzz12 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Oh no, Fail haha. Sorry for the wrong info nppham. Thats what happens when you pull an allnighter. :P Even more reason to read up on credible info and question everything rather than listen to sleep deprived me!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Also please provide stats: age, weight, height :)

These would be beneficial. 120g is fine, especially if you are around 150 lbs. But if you are, lets say, 110 lbs it would be a bit more tham you need.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    nm212 wrote: »

Do bad carbs get coal for Christmas?
    Carbs are carbs. Some have more calories and/or less fiber and/or fewer vitamins and minerals than others but they are all just carbs. None are better or worse for you than others. It all just depends on what you like, what your goals are and how the food fits those goals.
    And they all have calories no matter whether or not they came from fruits and veggies so yes, count them.

You-are-wrong-gif.gif