Diet pills

Options
I've seen so much in the media about numerous diet pills... Mainly ketones!

Does anyone here use diet pills? If so what?
Do they really work?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    No they do not work.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    No. They don't work. None of them. If they did, there wouldn't be fat people.
  • honeyseymour123
    honeyseymour123 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you want to damage your self and have a risk of uncontrollable Cronin diahorreah then great, go ahead
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    No magic bullets yet......I'm sure some day but that doesn't help us.

Anyway, look at the products you are considering.....they all say they work when you reduce your calorie intake. Don't pay money to take some (unregulated, untested) dietary supplement. Because if you eat less, you would have lost the weight anyway. YOUR hard work will be the reason for weight loss.
  • Peregrymj
    Peregrymj Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You can get appetite suppressants from your doctor but even those it's recommended you try and go without since they can have some unpleasant side effects and don't always work. Everything else on the market, don't bother. Just eat some rocks off the road they'd be just as effective.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options

Do they really work?

Anything you can buy off the shelf or order online is at the very least simply ineffective and wasting your money--and at the worst hazardous to your health. Supplements are barely regulated.

You need to consume fewer calories than you burn to lose weight. There is no magic. That is science. Even people taking prescription meds to aid in weight loss have to eat right and exercise or there will be no results.

Save your money, use your profile here, spend that diet pill money on a food scale and you will lose weight.
  • justincooper405
    justincooper405 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I personally have a tried a lot of diet pills and supplements. Including raspberry keytones, ... not one of them had any noticeable effects. That's when I found this App and service, it has changed my life ... I had no idea how may calories in was eating a day... I was blown away that I would max out with sugar before noon by drinking coffee with too much sugar and eating the wrong foods that I thought were healthy.

Use MFP count your cals eat at a deficit - if you want a supplement, I recommend a multivitamin but not needed.

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    They work only to lose money. Not worth it. If you read the fine print on any of them they all say they work with a balanced diet and exercise. If they really worked you wouldn't need either.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    They work like magic, I take a pill and then eat as much as I want. I lose weight like crazy and the best part is no exercise. This statement is usually followed a sales pitch for, you guessed it, magic diet pills.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I also like the ones that cleanse pounds of bloat causing "sludge" from your stomach & colon.
  • jillmiddlewood
    jillmiddlewood Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use a appetite suppressant from my nutritionist and it's working for me. 5 months now. The only thing is, u have to eat within calories and exercise. If your not serious about it, then it won't work.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    If they really worked, everyone would be thin and no one would need MFP.
    Besides, do you really want to take pills for the rest of your life, or learn moderation and portion control?
    Which can you feasibly do for the long term?
  • jimjim111
    jimjim111 Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    as far as i know, ketone weight loss pills don't work at all. even garcinia works better. to my mind, when your nutrition is proper, medicine is of no use.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Do they really work?

They're a Dr. Oz scam.

https://examine.com/supplements/raspberry-ketone/ - a scientific review of raspberry ketone. Note the following in particular:
    There is no human evidence for the effects of raspberry ketones. Studies on rats have used a dosage range of .545-2.18g/kg, which correlates to a human estimated dose of 80-340mg/kg for humans. This dose is very high compared to other fat burning compounds, so for that reason the standard supplemental dose of raspberry ketones for humans is in the 100-200mg range. There is no solid evidence for the effectiveness of the doses listed below. Rat dosages correlate to the following human doses:

870-3,700mg for a 150lb person

1,100-5,000mg for a 200lb person

1,500-6,200mg for a 250lb person

There is no human evidence for the effectiveness of raspberry ketones. Raspberry ketones cannot be concentrated in the human body the same way they are concentrated during studies done outside the body, on single cells.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    If they worked, there wouldn't be a problem with obesity ;)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I also like the ones that cleanse pounds of bloat causing "sludge" from your stomach & colon.

Right? "You may not be fat. You may just have gas and sludge." Like I had 5 pants sizes worth of poo in my gut. I'm pretty sure I'd have been dead.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    If the diet pills did work, what do you think would happen when you stopped taking them? Or would you prefer to be on a diet pill for the rest of your life?
    Learning how to eat with MFP is hard at first, but it gets easier. Plus, think of all the money you'll save not being on something the rest of your life.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i take hydroxycut max for women and it has really curbed my appetite alot.