Are All Calorie Sources the Same?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If all calories are not the same the definition of "calorie" needs to be changed. It's a unit of energy, it doesn't know or care where it came from.

I think the key word is 'sources'. A calorie is a unit of measurement, but sources of calories differ wildly.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    The question is are all calories the same? NO, they are not.

that's the question in the title, if you read the post it goes a bit deeper than that.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Well, it's been great fun, guys. I'm off on holiday now.

I know you'll all miss me greatly and think of me whenever you eat added sugar.

Please, take the time to do your own research. You'll be glad you did. xx

Finally people will get to ask questions without their threads being hijacked. I hope you don't drink too much added water on your holiday, because it would certainly kill you quicker than any sugar would.

water strips away nutrients because it washes them off the foods you already ate. think about it, it's good science.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    If you got all of your daily calories from table sugar and water, here is what would happen to you:

1. First, and rather immediately, there would be a marked drop in the efficiency of your white blood cells, which would immediately compromise your immune system. Your immune system would be unable to recover so long as you continued consuming all of your daily calories from table sugar. You have now increased your risk of catching any viruses or bacteria you may encounter. But, don't worry. You probably aren't going to live long enough to die from something that you catch.

2. Next, your pancreas and adrenal glands will kick into overdrive. Your hormones will begin to become unbalanced and you'll start to feel extremely fatigued. You will not recover from this fatigue so long as you continue eating this way.

3. In order to metabolize all of the sugar you're consuming, your body will be forced to draw from its own nutrient reserves. If you don't have enough nutrients reserved (and you won't for long) you will then become unable to metabolize your own fat reserves. You will lose magnesium quickly (required for about 300 enzyme activities, give or take) and you'll lose chromium. You're really going to notice it when you lose your chromium, as it's a trace element that regulates, among other hormones, your insulin. This is when you'll begin to notice a change in your mental state and some will begin to have difficulty breathing.

4. At this point, it's only a matter of days for before your system completely shuts down.

As you continue to insist that the refined sugar is helping to keep you alive , consider this:

During the processing of sugarcane into refined sugar, here's what gets removed: chromium (93%), manganese (89%), cobalt (98%), copper (83%), zinc (98%) and magnesium (98%) . If you had eaten raw sugarcane instead of table sugar, you'd have lived a bit longer.

And consider this, too: All of the fruit you eat includes the minerals your body requires for you to metabolize them. This is one of the primary reasons the sugar in whole fruit doesn't damage your body the way added sugar does. Fruit doesn't strip nutrients from your body.

I would contest that you would die from kwashiorkor - severe protein deficiency - faster than you would deplete body stores of nutrients. While things like chromium deficiency can occur, they are vanishingly rare - the first documented case being someone who had been on IV fluids for almost four years.

Even with nutrient depletion, you'd live much longer on the sugar & water diet than you would on the water-only diet.

The "sugar suppresses immune function" came from a single study in the 1970s, focused on a single subset of white blood cells, and has never been successfully replicated - and in fact other researchers have reached the opposite conclusion, that sugar intake stimulates increased immune activity.

What is fantastic is that these people claim that sugar BOTH suppressed the immune system and causes inflammation. :huh:

#nobiology

That's a great catch. I hadn't even processed that glaringly obvious contradiction. Wow.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    If you got all of your daily calories from table sugar and water, here is what would happen to you:

1. First, and rather immediately, there would be a marked drop in the efficiency of your white blood cells, which would immediately compromise your immune system. Your immune system would be unable to recover so long as you continued consuming all of your daily calories from table sugar. You have now increased your risk of catching any viruses or bacteria you may encounter. But, don't worry. You probably aren't going to live long enough to die from something that you catch.

2. Next, your pancreas and adrenal glands will kick into overdrive. Your hormones will begin to become unbalanced and you'll start to feel extremely fatigued. You will not recover from this fatigue so long as you continue eating this way.

3. In order to metabolize all of the sugar you're consuming, your body will be forced to draw from its own nutrient reserves. If you don't have enough nutrients reserved (and you won't for long) you will then become unable to metabolize your own fat reserves. You will lose magnesium quickly (required for about 300 enzyme activities, give or take) and you'll lose chromium. You're really going to notice it when you lose your chromium, as it's a trace element that regulates, among other hormones, your insulin. This is when you'll begin to notice a change in your mental state and some will begin to have difficulty breathing.

4. At this point, it's only a matter of days for before your system completely shuts down.

As you continue to insist that the refined sugar is helping to keep you alive , consider this:

During the processing of sugarcane into refined sugar, here's what gets removed: chromium (93%), manganese (89%), cobalt (98%), copper (83%), zinc (98%) and magnesium (98%) . If you had eaten raw sugarcane instead of table sugar, you'd have lived a bit longer.

And consider this, too: All of the fruit you eat includes the minerals your body requires for you to metabolize them. This is one of the primary reasons the sugar in whole fruit doesn't damage your body the way added sugar does. Fruit doesn't strip nutrients from your body.

I would contest that you would die from kwashiorkor - severe protein deficiency - faster than you would deplete body stores of nutrients. While things like chromium deficiency can occur, they are vanishingly rare - the first documented case being someone who had been on IV fluids for almost four years.

Even with nutrient depletion, you'd live much longer on the sugar & water diet than you would on the water-only diet.

The "sugar suppresses immune function" came from a single study in the 1970s, focused on a single subset of white blood cells, and has never been successfully replicated - and in fact other researchers have reached the opposite conclusion, that sugar intake stimulates increased immune activity.

What is fantastic is that these people claim that sugar BOTH suppressed the immune system and causes inflammation. :huh:

#nobiology

But, But, But...

This is basic 101 stuff!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

#nobiology

I think they're confusing 'causing inflammation' with 'inducing an inflammatory response'. A bit of putting the cart before the horse.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    You can lead a horse to water, I guess... but you can't make him drink.

If you went to the right university, and studied the right courses, you should already know that 1 molecule of sugar needs 54 molecules of magnesium to process it.

If you do the research, you will find the right answer. It's not up for debate. It's science.

What water? You didn't lead us anywhere. You waved your hand at the vast information jungle that is the internet and told us that somewhere in there is some sort of life giving informational "water" that you found at the "right" university but you can't be bothered to even draw us a map on a napkin.

Coincidentally enough, I could be 100% convinced that Unicorns exist - but I wouldn't be able to point to where you could find one in real life. :D

Well, i wouldn't wander into the wilderness looking for the fountain of youth, but I might if I thought there could be a unicorn!

ETA: And I've seen unicorn poop on the internet so I think we have a better chance of finding one than of finding HarperWnterberry's sources.

FKY6JC5GX5XKM4X.MEDIUM.jpg