Do you count the cals burned on your HRM after you stop?

Options
When you stop your exercise but your heart rate is still in or above the range on your HRM and it shows that you are still burning calories, do you count those calories or do you stop the HRM as soon as you stop the workout?

Replies

• eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Most days I take 2 classes at the gym back to back. I leave my heart rate running for the 5ish minutes between the 2 classes but as soon as the 2nd class is done I turn off the calorie counter.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I stop my HRM as soon as I stop working out or within like a minute to two after.

I don't really worry about after burn.. how hungry I am the next day is the best judge of after burn for me.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I usually stop mine after I finish my cool down and stretches.
  • tapp52000
    tapp52000 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Any workout that you are doing should include a cool down time. I always stop my HRM after the cool down time. By then I am always out of my zone and my heart rate has dropped. Hope that helps.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I wait until I have cooled down and my heart rate has returned to resting range.
  • georgiag111
    georgiag111 Posts: 424
    Options
    I stop mine every time that my Heartrate is around 90
  • AniMarieSt
    AniMarieSt Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Any workout that you are doing should include a cool down time. I always stop my HRM after the cool down time. By then I am always out of my zone and my heart rate has dropped. Hope that helps.

Like Tap I also always include a cool down with my workouts (as is recommended) and stop after I'm done and my heart rate is back to normal.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I keep it on until after my cool down. Once my heart rate hits under 120, I stop it.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I stop it after my workout. Most of my workouts have a small cool down built in. If my heartrate is still a little elevated, I figure it balances out with the burn that would have occured during the time of my workout by just being alive :smile:
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Yep, I stop when my cool down is over.
  • NicoleMarie0409
    Options
    I stop mine as soon as the workout is over. I don't include the cooldown.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I start mine when I get to the gym and stop it when I leave. I usually do cardio first for 35-40 then do some weight training. In between cardio and weights there is usually a 3-5 minute break to refill my water and get to the other end of the gym. I count the calories that my HRM shows for that 3-5 minutes, but then I stop it right after my weight training.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I usually stop it after about 4-5 minutes when my heart rate has gone down below 120
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I stop it as soon as my entire routine is over (including cool down and stretch)...if my heart rate is still slightly elevated, I figure that gives me a little fudge factor in terms of the burn being in line with what I eat back later in the day...
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Take 'em. Those are calories burned and calories earned!
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I stop it as soon as my entire routine is over (including cool down and stretch)...if my heart rate is still slightly elevated, I figure that gives me a little fudge factor in terms of the burn being in line with what I eat back later in the day...

Ditto on that. I keep mine running during my cool downs after my run. I do that mostly so that I don't let my heart rate slow down too quickly.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You can do whatever you want--the calories aren't accurate (but then again, they aren't always all that accurate during the exercise itself, so it might be a moot point).

The calories burned after exercise are not that great--avg is maybe 7% of total burned during the exercise (moderate aerobic), 14% of total burned during HIIT (but the total burned during HIIT is usally lower, so the actual amt might be same or less than for aerobic).

However you measure it, it ain't a lot. Certainly not enough use as a basis in any way for an eating decision.
  • Jessicapages
    Jessicapages Posts: 427
    Options
    I stop mine when it reaches 110
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Seems like the majority of you are doing what I expected and that is to keep it on until you cool down and reach the min heart rate and then stop the HRM.

Appreciate the inputs.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I stop mine after cooldown and stretching. :)