Alcohol

Options
So I'm starting to eat healthy again and go to the gym, gained 40 pounds after I had my daughter, she is one now and I have to get back to 135! Now, can I have one or two drinks once a week and still loose weight? Please comment if you really know or have experience

Replies

• Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Sure, as long as the alcohol calories fit into your daily/weekly allowance.

First time I buckled down to lose 40lbs a couple years ago, I had no problems imbibing as well. There were some weeks that I'd have a drink or two every night! Now, I'll still have a glass of wine or beer at home once a week or so after a rough day, but I don't really drink anymore. I can't find it in my heart to drink my calories anymore!

If it's important to you, you can fit it in!
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Yep absolutely just stay within your calorie goals
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,014 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Log the calories for the drinks, and come in below the calorie amount you have set to lose, and you will lose weight. Just don't ignore logging them because they are drinks because all drinks other than water can have a significant calorie count. Generalizations for alcohol are: light beer = 100-150 calories, glass of wine (4-6 oz) = 125 - 150 calories, bottle of hard cider = 200+ calories, regular beer = 200 - 250 calories, mixed drinks = 250 - 500 calories, depending on ingredients. There are many drinks already in the database, so people have been logging them. I have been working in drinks (beer and wine mostly) into my calorie count for the past two weeks, and have still lost some pounds. I have cut back on my usual nightcaps, and may still cut back more because those are valuable food calories some days. My challenge was when I realized by counting calories that a light beer (12oz) and 8 oz of Ginger Ale were the same calorie count, and the light beer had way less carbs...I had to keep telling myself..."water is still better"... ;)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I use an entry called "Calorie Bank".
    I save up calories for Friday movie night.
    Ex: Add the entry to this Saturday. Any calories you save today and every day till then, you add them to your saturday entry called banking calories.
    Or you can use the note section on saturdays page to keep track.
    Ex: monday saved 100 calories, tuesday....
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Anything can fit as long as you still have a caloric deficit. You could even go over one day but make up for it the next if you want. I've done that once in a while if I really wanted a craving (like chips mmmm).
    I gained 40 lbs with my first daughter too and it took me almost 2 years to lose it all.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    www.getdrunknotfat.com
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    2 drinks a week is nothing. Can you even get a good buzz off that?
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You do mean two bottles?? B)
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Of course you can! Just make sure it fits in your daily calories or weekly average. (I love to have a nightly snack so I prelog it with breakfast and fit the rest of the day in. No worrying if I can have it or not.)
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I disagree. For me I can watch cals all day long but if they include alcohol I won't lose. If I completely cut the alcohol completely and never cheat I lose consistently. Even if I replace those calories I would normally budget for a glass of wine on something else.

I know most will disagree but I have experimented too many times. See what works for you. See if you can incorporate it. If it's not working then drop it. It's only temporary and think of why you want to lose the weight.
  • Lenala13
    Lenala13 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    As long as alcohol fits into your calorie allotment, then yes, but keep in mind that the more a person imbues, some of the side effects of that tend to be impaired judgement, which means that one might be less likely to accurately track their calories and may make poorer food choices while drunk, so I recommend moderation :)
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I drank all throughout my 75 pound loss and now into maintenance. Honestly, the toughest part is not making stupid food decisions when you're drunk.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Before you have wine or a shot etc , measure the amount, I know I was shocked to see what 5oz of wine actually looked like in my larger glasses. 1 "glass" of wine could easily be 8 or more ounces. Then decide if it's worth it. I've gained 2 lbs of water EVERY time after a glass or two, it's just how my body responds to sugars. Takes about 3 days to come off. So if you see a gain also ask yourself will that derail you.