Low carb

Options
FitLaughLove
FitLaughLove Posts: 125 Member
edited June 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Low carb ruined me. Completely screwed with my well being and relationship with food. Don't do it people. It may be a quick fix but trust me it does not last. The restrictions will come back to bite you in the butt.. Today is the start of my journey to a healthy weight (again) and relationship with food

Replies

• JodyFit13
    JodyFit13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Always a good time to make a fresh start. You may want to research and implement a WFPB (whole food plant based) program.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    JodyFit13 wrote: »
    Always a good time to make a fresh start. You may want to research and implement a WFPB (whole food plant based) program.
    Why that, specifically?
  • FitLaughLove
    Options
    I can respect that. However, I would never wish what I had to go through, thanks to the no carb fad, upon anyone. It truly is not healthy in the long haul. My hope is to simply warn those who are looking into it..
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Unfortunately, dieting is through trial and error. You now have gained the knowledge to what doesnt work (thst was paleo for me). Now onto finding out what does. I just concentrate on eating whole foods. But still allow junk food/treats.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    asaber1616 wrote: »
    I can respect that. However, I would never wish what I had to go through, thanks to the no carb fad, upon anyone. It truly is not healthy in the long haul. My hope is to simply warn those who are looking into it..
    It's not a fad.
    and
    Perhaps you were doing it wrong?

signed: not low carb.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    May I ask what trials and tribulations not eating pasta and bread put you through?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited June 2016
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    May I ask what trials and tribulations not eating pasta and bread put you through?

That's my question as well. What was the OP doing that was so traumatic?

ETA: and, before going further, I'd like to know which of the bikini clad teens in the profile photo is our OP.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Given that I know people who have lived happy low-carb lives for over a decade I'm gonna say the restrictions bit you in the bum, but that has no bearing on anyone else's potential to succeed living LC. I personally have found my relationship with food much improved on low carb, so its too bad you found the opposite to be true.

IIFYM CICO seems popular on MFP, maybe you'll be happier doing that?

Just want to point out that CICO is an energy balance equation and IIFYM is the eating styling in case the op googles it. All diets follow CICO. But definitely a good suggestion on IIFYM.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

Why do you feel it "isn't healthy in the long haul" if you don't mind my asking? Many people are able to produce much better outcomes in their bloodwork, BP, etc. on LC if they are balancing their macro needs appropriately and tending to their electrolytic balance as needed. I hope you're feeling better now whatever happened!
  • FitLaughLove
    Options
    It's not a fad.
    and

Maybe, but I doubt it. I became so obsessive over what I was eating on low carb. I kept count of everything to make sure I was getting enough protein and fats to make up for the carbs. I'm finding that there's lots of research showing that it's not healthy to limit or put retrictions on food groups..
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Given that I know people who have lived happy low-carb lives for over a decade I'm gonna say the restrictions bit you in the bum, but that has no bearing on anyone else's potential to succeed living LC. I personally have found my relationship with food much improved on low carb, so its too bad you found the opposite to be true.

IIFYM CICO seems popular on MFP, maybe you'll be happier doing that?

Just want to point out that CICO is an energy balance equation and IIFYM is the eating styling in case the op googles it. All diets follow CICO. But definitely a good suggestion on IIFYM.

My bad, I've just always called it IIFYM CICO because there are also IIFYM LC factions @psulemon . So many acronyms to remember, haha ;)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It's not a fad.
    and

Maybe, but I doubt it. I became so obsessive over what I was eating on low carb. I kept count of everything to make sure I was getting enough protein and fats to make up for the carbs. I'm finding that there's lots of research showing that it's not healthy to limit or put retrictions on food groups..

But healthy to put restrictions on or limit calories. Got it.

Perhaps it was you.
  • JessicaMcB
    Options
    It's not a fad.
    and

I'm really sorry you had that experience. Do you find that you are less "obsessive" when you count calories? If so I think that might be your play! If that also is problematic for you it sounds like there might be something else less physical in play to reflect on and consider talking to someone about (no judgment here, I have OCD, obsession is where I live ;) ).