calories remaining

Options
I am new to this program. The foods eaten and exercise information has been entered. At the bottom of the page in red is a message that I have 481 calories remaining, does that mean I can eat 481 more calories?

Replies

• elsgans
    Options
    I am new to this program. The foods eaten and exercise information has been entered. At the bottom of the page in red is a message that I have 481 calories remaining, does that mean I can eat 481 more calories?
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    yup.

If there is a minus before it, it means you've eaten too much.

So eat away....well eat until you are full and max. net calories. If you exercise a lot daily, try and consume some more calories.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    That's if you want to but it's not mandatory.
    There's no need to eat if you're not hungry.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    yep that's right and welcome!!!:flowerforyou:
  • judybooty
    judybooty Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What the....???? I have 666 calories left!!! Hmmmmm, there's some leftover apple crisp in the fridge.....
    I'm having a hard time with this so I think I'll just have a piece of fruit. I hope I'm doing this right.
  • jreeves1
    Options
    But I thought the deficit meant for example "500 calories remaining" 500 would be the deficit. after you have entered your excercise for the day & you have already eaten all your calories. I should't eat those 500 calories should I? (If I am trying to lose weight)
  • AtlantaSara
    Options
    Threre have been alot of discussions on this topic. I have tried eating them not to put myself into "starvation mode" but I have found in a very short time that as long as I eat 1200 calories a day, Im fine ... what I do is burn about 900-1500 calories per day and essentially i am loosing a half pound to a pound per day. The simplicity is burn more calories than you take in... know your BMI
  • Eliyan
    Eliyan Posts: 115
    Options
    JReeves:

The 500 deficit is built into your daily goal. The amount of calories it allows you to eat is already 500 less than you need to maintain your weight, so you want to eat them all, if you're hungry, not leave 500 of them, because then your deficit would actually be 1000 calories, which would be dangerous.
  • jreeves1
    Options
    Sara & Elyian:

But isn't that how much you should be losing more in a week rather than a day? That sounds kinda dangerous.

My personal trainer asked me to eat 1200 calories a day as well as work out 6 days a week for 60 mins at least to lose the weight I want to. (3 days cardio & 3 days strength training) When I asked him if I could go over the calories because I burn more when working out & he said no. I mean I can if I really want to but for me to lose 1-2 lbs a week that's the recommendation. If I were to be eating all the calories myfitnesspal told me I had left, I would be eating 1800 calories & probably won't lose weight as fast.
  • AtlantaSara
    Options
    Sara & Elyian:

But isn't that how much you should be losing more in a week rather than a day? That sounds kinda dangerous.

My personal trainer asked me to eat 1200 calories a day as well as work out 6 days a week for 60 mins at least to lose the weight I want to. (3 days cardio & 3 days strength training) When I asked him if I could go over the calories because I burn more when working out & he said no. I mean I can if I really want to but for me to lose 1-2 lbs a week that's the recommendation. If I were to be eating all the calories myfitnesspal told me I had left, I would be eating 1800 calories & probably won't lose weight as fast.

You are correct. I was eating some of my calories from exercise. 1200 calories a day in for food. I burn 800-1500 calories per work out. I am experimenting with my body beause I would eat the 1200, work out and burn 700 calories on average per work out for my first three weeks. I lost 4 pounds (and more importantly I lost 4 inches) - So I have decided to continue on the 1200, increase my work outs (Im going to run a half marathon in late April), and not take in the extra calores that I burn and see where it gets me. If I feel fatigued or tired, I dont mind adding a couple of hundred calories to my diet because I am burning plenty.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Ladies and Gents... just eat the calories MFP has provided you. No one can tell you what to do and what to eat and how to go about it.

If it says 1200 calories...eat the 1200 calories. If you worked out that day and burned 500 calories, then make a decision to yourself if you want to eat anymore. But at least eat the minimum 1200 calories its letting you... the same figure that has already taken your 500 deficit into account.
  • jreeves1
    Options
    Ladies and Gents... just eat the calories MFP has provided you. No one can tell you what to do and what to eat and how to go about it.

If it says 1200 calories...eat the 1200 calories. If you worked out that day and burned 500 calories, then make a decision to yourself if you want to eat anymore. But at least eat the minimum 1200 calories its letting you... the same figure that has already taken your 500 deficit into account.
    alrighty sounds good to me!!
  • elsgans
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will eat the calories if I am hungry, and not eat them if I am satisfied