protein shakes

Options
Starkle09
Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
sorry in advance for my silly question but when is the best time to drink a protein shake? after a workout, with a meal, as a snack? i hear everyone talk about the importance of them but im not sure how to take them effectively

thanks

Replies

• Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert, but the trainers where I go have told us to drink a protein shake when we get up in the morning and before we go to bed at night particularly on weight training days. So, that's what I do.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a bad time but the one time my trainer really suggests is right after I work out. You need to replenish your body with protein. He also told me to add one as a snack. I can't do one as a meal cause they are not filling to me but they work as a snack.
  • Ahendon824
    Ahendon824 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really matters. I have heard that it is better to have one after a workout because your muscles use protein to burn fat. I think it's what works best for you! Good luck!!
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I drink a Myofusion protein drink as soon as I get up in the morning for meal replacement/supplement, I drink a GNC AMP 60 protein drink as a recovery drink, and I drink a Probolic-SR protein drink at night before I go to bed. The nightime one is a slow release protein drink for the overnight sleeping period. I also will occasionally drink another Myofusion at another time in the day if it appears I will struggle to achieve my protein needed for the day, but I usually have that covered via lean meats, low fat cheese, cottage cheese, and fish/shellfish...or a protein bar.

Not all protein drinks do the same thing...the GNC AMP is absorbed quickly and serves as an excellent recovery drink. The Myofusion could serve that purpose as well, but it doesn't absorb near as quickly. All three taste pretty good, but Myofusion is particularly tasty...
  • cachef1
    cachef1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been advised by several trainers at different locations the same information - all say to use the protein shakes within 30 minutes following a workout. This allows for the muscles to repair themselves after the tear down of a workout, which is how muscle tissue is built. Before a workout you would also have a pre-workout snack, unless of course you have recently had a meal. A pre-work out snack would be perhaps a half a banana with a little protein or an energy bar. Be careful with the energy bars though. They can have loads of calories for those advanced folks who really need them. The carbs before a workout give you the needed energy to support an effective session while the protein shake after provides the "stuff" needed to repair and build muscle.
  • davidrt
    davidrt Posts: 162
    Options
    in the morning to fuel your body when you get up, some say before a workout so you use the fuel but i think it would need to b e digested to be of any use, a casein protein before bed to keep you fueled as you sleep, a bcaa it helps burn fat and rebuild muscle,i use extend by scivation for that
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    If u need more protein in ur diet then anytime.
    After workout is good to repair muscles.
    Before bed to not lose muscle.
    Google has everything do ur research to ease your mind.
  • ShampooIsBetter
    Options
    Before you exercise, your shake should have a 1:1 ratio of calories from protein and carbs. After a workout, it should be 2:1 in favor of protein.

When I used to drink a lot of shakes, I'd follow these formulas:

Before Workout:
    4 oz fruit/berries
    8 oz skim milk
    4 oz sunny d
    6 oz Carb-buster yogurt
    1 scoop protein powder

After workout, I would drop the SunnyD and replace it with another scoop of protein. I ended up with drinks very similar in nutrition to what gatorade offers in their pre/post workout mixes.