LAdies...how do you build visible muscle?

Options
I started body pump classes as well as working with free weights and kettle balls about 2-3 months ago. While I feel a lot more firm, I still don't have visible muscles except in my calves. My arms feel very firm and look nice but I want to see some nice defined muscle. What should I be doing? Am I not eating enough protein? Do I need to increase the amount of weight I'm working with? Usually I lift about 15-20 lbs. Ladies who currently have nice defined muscular arms/ legs whatever, how did you get to where you are now?! Help!

BTW I'm 5'7 126 lbs so I don't think I need to lose any weight :/

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    To build muscle, it is really the same thing for men and women. You must eat slightly more than maintenance level calories, lift heavy weights, and I would suggest eating about 1 gram of protein per body weight daily.

Women do not build muscle as fast as men do on average, but if you keep working on it with heavy weights in the low rep range for hypertrophy as well as eating much more than you did when trying to lose weight, you'll get there.

And lay off the cardio if you do a lot of that. Body Pump is considered a cardio class, for example. Go pick up those free weights and kettlebells!
  • GOBucks2011
    Options
    Thank you for your response :) When you say heavy weights, how heavy are we talking? Do you think that 15-20 lbs is to light or should i be lifting heavier?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    As far as the weight, it depends on how strong you personally are. I like to recommend that you pick up a weight that you can do between 8-12 reps of a certain exercise. If you can't get to 8 reps, then your weight is too heavy and you need something a little lighter. If you can do more than 12, then you didn't get something heavy enough and you need to lift more.

You will actually be surprised at how strong certain muscle groups really are. I would bet that 15-20 is great for upper body like biceps and triceps, but when you go to do some compound lower body exercises like squats or deadlifts you may need quite a bit more. I think that most women underestimate themselves when they first start out because most of us are so used to lifting those light weights in cardio set-ups like Body Pump. I am not knocking that workouts AT ALL cause I love it myself! But when you are lifting with more reps you simply must use lower weights to do it...and that's what most women have "always done."

When I started doing the ChaLEAN Extreme program at home, I at first picked up 15 pound weights for squats because I thought that was all I was going to be able to do. But, I knew right away that was not enough weight. For me to feel a decent burn, I had to pick up 30 pounds in each hand. I couldn't believe it, but yes, women frequently underestimate their strength.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I think Lyadeia has given you some really good advice, and I agree.

When I started lifting heavier weights and doing exercises like squats and deadlifts, eating maintenance calories, eating more protein and backing off on cardio, I started to see wonderful results.