Resturant

Options
Hey
My question is, how do you scale your food on a restaurant?
Or if your going out to eat at your friends house?

Replies

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Some restaurants have nutritional info on their websites, other don't and neither would your friends...those would be what I call "guesstimations"
  • katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I usually just guess. I estimate all the component parts. Like for a burger I'd estimate the bun, patty, cheese, mayo, bacon etc. It's not ideal but it usually looks decent enough
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    People will make fun of you.
    Especially if you are skinny (or at least not obese).
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I approximate. It doesn't happen very often, and I have no desire to be drawing that kind of attention to myself.
  • MRBDDB
    MRBDDB Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I try to plan ahead if I know where I am going and log what I plan to eat and stick with it. As far as going to someone's house, I would say choose wisely, portion control and still log as close as you can on MFP.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    No, I best guess. If I'm at a friend's, "this is delicious, can you give me recipe?". If I'm at a restaurant I make the choice I feel most comfortable with and ask how it's prepared. If you're supet concerned, consume a few glasses of water before eating.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    After awhile of using a scale at home, you should be able to fairly well "eyeball" portion size. While at home, weigh you food, see it on your plate, make a note of its size. With experience, you will be able to estimate reasonably well.
  • foxlme
    foxlme Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    At restaurants, I use their posted nutrition information if it's available. If I'm eating someplace where nutrition info isn't available, either smaller restaurants or friends' or whatever, I guess, but guess high. I've been on MFP for about 3 years, but since I always hear that people underestimate how many calories they're eating, I purposely go the other way, just to be safe. "Eh, that looks like about 350 calories. Here's something that sounds similar in MFP that's 425. I'll use that."
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

How would they know? They're staring at their phones.
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I feel very self conscious of taking a scale with me, so I guess to the best of my ability. I also try to avoid chain restaurants bc the calorie counts are through the roof which brings an added challenge since the restaurants I go to generally aren't in the database. Just do the best you can. If you're out, another strategy is to cut the meal in half as soon as you get it or eat to 60% capacity and stop.
  • AngelicaSamuelsson92
    AngelicaSamuelsson92 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you for answering even tho it
    maybe was a stupid question I am new one this, I mean to scale my food.
    Another question, how do you logg food that's not here? Do you write down and make a recipe?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

It's unwise to plan your activities around what will and won't make some people laugh at you. Be an adult. Own your decisions.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I usually do what I call "menu reconnaissance." if I know where we'll be eating out I look up the menu/nutrition facts on the website and decide what to order before I ever get there. If they have no nutrition facts, I try to figure out what might be the best options for me and where to make substitutions- if i have time i try to throw it in a calorie calculator. The only place this doesn't work for me is Chuys- no nutrition facts and everything is horrible for you. It's one of my favorite restaurants, but I basically had to stop eating there.
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thank you for answering even tho it
    maybe was a stupid question I am new one this, I mean to scale my food.
    Another question, how do you logg food that's not here? Do you write down and make a recipe?

By food that is not here, do you mean like a buffalo chicken sandwich food, or chicken breast food? I use the recipe tool a lot for dishes that I make often.

MFP has improved its restaurant listings which makes it easier. If the restaurant has an online menu I also peek at it before leaving so I am prepared with 3 options of what to order (in case the menu changed or something). At a friends house I ask if I can bring something too and make a 'safe food'--one that I know how many calories is in it. That way if I get overwhelmed looking at all the options I have my backup ready to go.