Eating Back Calories

Options
I was wondering if any of you eat the calories back that you burned while exercising. Are there any benefits in doing so or not?

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Most people here eat back 50%. I usually end up closer to 100% (not on purpose, I like food). It also depends on how your tracking exercise calories, some methods are highly unreliable. I'm using Apple Watch which has been pretty good (since I'm losing weight).
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    If I lift, I don't eat back my calories. If I do over 45 minutes of cardio a day, I'll half to 75% back.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I do calorie cycling - do not eat back my calories - this works better for me, especially the high calorie days like today - 2100 calories.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I guess I do, on average. Mainly, I try to eat 250-500 calories less than my fitbit says my total daily burn was, so that means I do eat all of my exercise calories (though, I tend to average over a whole week, so exercise today might be eaten in a couple days instead of today).
  • bscmcse
    bscmcse Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    In the past 60 days, I have started to think about food differently and as a result don't seem to have as strong urges to eat certain things at certain times. I have also asked questions privately of some on this site who have lost a significant amount of weight and been able to maintain at their goal. One told me that as they were loosing, they did not eat back any calories from exercise ("but I could see why you would though"). From that point until today, I have not eaten back any calories from exercise. I rationalize it as my tracking may be off, maybe I'll need to bank them, or I just want to loose weight and get closer to my goal. I also find that I don't need to eat as much. I can't say what is right for you, but for now, for me I'm leaving those calories alone.
  • carolerunsalot
    carolerunsalot Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I do if I am hungry. I usually keep it at about 50-75% though.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I will if I'm still hungry at the end of the day but,jf j have say 400 exercise calories and I just need something to tide me over to bed at at 1130 I'll only eat something with 100 calories high in fiber
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    yes I do until I have netted at least 1200 and no longer hungry.

If I am at net 1186 and not hungry I leave it at that

but

If I am at 1300 net and hungry I will eat up to 1500...(that's my goal)
  • xAmeenahx
    xAmeenahx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input!