Help! I'm desperate!

Options
Hello! I have been using MFP since January 2015, I have lost 3st 12lbs. But since January 2016, it seems to have not really been working, I have been putting weight back on even though I have been dieting and exercising. One week I will lose a couple of pounds, the next I'll have put it back on and the next it won't have changed. I have upped my exercise, lowered my carbs, changed all sorts around to try and sort it out but nothing is working. I even saw a dietician and she said I'm doing everything right to lose weight but it's just not happening. I would be very very grateful if someone could help or give me some advice.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• chazznittt
    chazznittt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    are you weighing food on a digital kitchen scale and making sure the entries you're using from the database are correct?

Yes, I weigh everything, if I think something is not correct in the database I research on the Internet to find the right one or I'll input it myself from food labels.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    You're eating more calories that you need.

Give us some stats (current weight, height, details of exercise and activity, age) and open your diary.
  • chazznittt
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You're eating more calories that you need.

Give us some stats (current weight, height, details of exercise and activity, age) and open your diary.

My weight is 16st bang on. I'm 5ft 6. I try to walk for an hour once or twice a week, I go to an hours Zumba class every week, I try to go to the gym 1-3 times a week and when I'm there I tend to spend an hour to an hour and a half there. I'm 25 and my diary is open for friends to see. I eat between 1,200 and 1,500 calories a day.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    TDEE is about 2450 cals per day. So a loss of 1lb per week should be about 1950 cals per day and 2lb per week about 1450 per day.

At 224lbs you are safe to aim for the 2lb per week.

Your diary is not open: Home > Settings > Diary Settings. Set Diary Sharing to Public.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    1200-1500 NET? or total?
  • StealthHealth
    edited June 2016
    Options
    got it now :)

It's a good diary - I'll be honest: I can't see much wrong in there. There is the odd weekend day not logged but generally everything looks good. I'd say:
    • Tighten up on the tablespoons type entries and check weigh those pre-packaged foods like a Young's Breaded fish portion type stuff, they can be as much as 50% out.
    • Weigh everything - I know it's a pain in the *kitten* but when you're struggling small differences in portions can make the difference between loss and gain.
    • Monitor weight and body measurements (waist, bust, hips)

Your cals target looks about right but if you;ve not seen a change in the right direction after implementing the above then you're going to have to face the fact that you need to shave another 100 or 200 cals off that target (or add in that equivalent in activity).
  • chazznittt
    Options
    1200-1500 NET? or total?

Total. I use MFP on my phone and it doesn't give me a NET. Should I be doing a net?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Do you have any medical conditions?

Side note. In the past 3 weeks, i saw 4 unlogged days. It's possible you are using up your deficit on those days.

Also, in that year of dieting, have you taken any diet breaks?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    chazznittt wrote: »
    1200-1500 NET? or total?

Total. I use MFP on my phone and it doesn't give me a NET. Should I be doing a net?

Not necessary, I just wondered.

Honestly, my recommendation is to not change ANYTHING for 6 weeks. Don't change your exercise. Don't change your intake or foods. Keep everything the same for 6 weeks. Log religiously. Take measurements of your waist/hips/chest/thighs/etc.

In general what you're doing IS IN FACT WORKING, just you're mildly sick or extra stressed right now for some reason, causing some blips. Try to be patient. And try not changing anything for a few weeks. Ok?

You're doing a great job. Look how far you've come.
  • chazznittt
    Options
    got it now :)

It's a good diary - I'll be honest: I can't see much wrong in there. There is the odd weekend day not logged but generally everything looks good. I'd say:
    • Tighten up on the tablespoons type entries and check weigh those pre-packaged foods like a Young's Breaded fish portion type stuff, they can be as much as 50% out.
    • Weigh everything - I know it's a pain in the *kitten* but when you're struggling small differences in portions can make the difference between loss and gain.
    • Monitor weight and body measurements (waist, bust, hips)

Your cals target looks about right but if you;ve not seen a change in the right direction after implementing the above then you're going to have to face the fact that you need to shave another 100 or 200 cals off that target (or add in that equivalent in activity).

The days where I haven't logged are days where I've had a day off haha.

I have done measurements but I have only lost 1 inch in months. I don't understand at all.

I was only eating 1,200 calories and thought maybe I wasn't having enough so I upped it and it still not made a difference.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    Day off? day off work or day off logging?
  • chazznittt
    Options
    1200-1500 NET? or total?

Not necessary, I just wondered.

Honestly, my recommendation is to not change ANYTHING for 6 weeks. Don't change your exercise. Don't change your intake or foods. Keep everything the same for 6 weeks. Log religiously. Take measurements of your waist/hips/chest/thighs/etc.

In general what you're doing IS IN FACT WORKING, just you're mildly sick or extra stressed right now for some reason, causing some blips. Try to be patient. And try not changing anything for a few weeks. Ok?

You're doing a great job. Look how far you've come.

Thanks so much!
    I have done my measurements and only lost an inch in months!
    You don't think there could be some sort of hormone imbalance or something do you?
    My doctor was saying its a plateau but surely it wouldn't last 6 months..
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    OK, thatcould be it, if you upped your calories from 1200 recently your body is just geting readjustd and you should settle down into losing again. Keep up your great work.
  • chazznittt
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    OK, thatcould be it, if you upped your calories from 1200 recently your body is just geting readjustd and you should settle down into losing again. Keep up your great work.

I know but it's been since January. Surely that's not right. It's like no matter how many calories I eat I still don't lose.
  • chazznittt
    Options

Sorry, I mean like a cheat day.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    ...I have done my measurements and only lost an inch in months! ..
    ...but are you gaining inches in the right places? At quick glance your doing ALOT of exercising.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options

Sorry, I mean like a cheat day.

Cheat days can use up an entire weeks worth of calorie deficit. That is probably the issue. I would scale back or track those.
  • chazznittt
    Options
    ...I have done my measurements and only lost an inch in months! ..
    ...but are you gaining inches in the right places? At quick glance your doing ALOT of exercising.

I'm not gaining inches, just not losing them haha
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »

I know but it's been since January. Surely that's not right. It's like no matter how many calories I eat I still don't lose.

It isn't right. Something is off with your approach. There's no evidence to suggest that banging your head against a brick wall will achieve any other result than the one you are currently getting.

As referenced above if you haven't had a diet break then I would suggest you take one now. Maybe two weeks or so. Expect a little weight gain but don't go off the rails. Par exercise and activity down to doing it just for the enjoyments you get from it.

When you get back to it log ruthlessly for at least six weeks. No missed days. Keep diet quality as high as possible.

When you work out properly again work out with intensity and with a purpose.

See how you go.