Can't stop eating sweets :\

Options
Dusan98
Dusan98 Posts: 10 Member
I dont know how to get enough of it, is there any help/tips except strong will? :s
Daily about 500 calories and even more, and just sugar from that... feeling shamy

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I find that if I eat more fats (avocado, coconut oil, etc) then I don't crave sweets.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Strong willpower is it.

You can cut out all sweets completely. Low carbers will tell you the craving goes away. But if that is a temporary change it may help you lose weight. But, when you get to goal you are stuck with the same issue. How to keep the weight off......while including sweets.

I'm not low carb, I don't eliminate anything. Instead I "allow" myself a sweet treat everyday (while losing weight). I try to save that treat for after dinner. That way I have something to look forward to AND I am much more selective. This is me managing sweets before I get to maintenance. This is practice if you will.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Don't keep whatever makes you crazy around. Sometimes it's just easier instead of having to white knuckle through it.

If you can't control what food is around, you have to just commit to your calorie goal. Whether you are hungry or not. Logging it all helps me stop myself from eating something with high calories because I know I will be hungry later.

I try to keep low calorie treats around like Skinny Cow ice cream. Sometime I get crazy over them and can't keep them in the house because I won't moderate.

I think it takes practice. Especially if you are used to eating a lot sweet foods that have high calories but don't satisfy your hunger. It takes time to figure out what tasty foods will keep you filled up and within your calorie budget.
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with the good fats advice but I eat dried fruit like dates when I have a sweet craving and that helps.

It doesn't reduce the calories necessarily but it improves the nutrients from those calories.

I also allow myself some sweets in my diet because I like them, I just try to keep them minimal.
  • Dusan98
    Dusan98 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    Don't keep whatever makes you crazy around. Sometimes it's just easier instead of having to white knuckle through it.

If you can't control what food is around, you have to just commit to your calorie goal. Whether you are hungry or not. Logging it all helps me stop myself from eating something with high calories because I know I will be hungry later.

I try to keep low calorie treats around like Skinny Cow ice cream. Sometime I get crazy over them and can't keep them in the house because I won't moderate.

I think it takes practice. Especially if you are used to eating a lot sweet foods that have high calories but don't satisfy your hunger. It takes time to figure out what tasty foods will keep you filled up and within your calorie budget.

I can control some of my food, but most i can't because im still young.
    I'm trying not to eat sweets, and i succeed, but then i feel hungry, like i didnt eat any other serious food.
    My calorie intake is still good without sweets, but i dont know if it's healthy to suffer that hunger.

• 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Dusan98 wrote: »
    100df wrote: »

I can control some of my food, but most i can't because im still young.
    I'm trying not to eat sweets, and i succeed, but then i feel hungry, like i didnt eat any other serious food.
    My calorie intake is still good without sweets, but i dont know if it's healthy to suffer that hunger.

I don't know your calorie needs. For myself I know how many calories my body needs. My mind wants many more! You to figure out the difference. Takes time. Be patient. I know that sounds trite. I have to tell myself that every day. Sometimes a few times a day.
  • MeganMcK11
    MeganMcK11 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    When it comes down to it, you just have to make the decision. I don't eliminate anything, but I make healthier choices and measure EVERYTHING. I plan my day in advance so I can see what I need to eat/not eat in order to have some calories left for that sweet treat I want.

But you're the only one who can decide on whether to eat that entire roll (or bag) of Oreos. There's no tip and no easy way out when it comes to something like having willpower. Good luck.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly certain I don't crave sweets, but there are some sweet things I have in my diet every day, and some available. One I first tasted last Saturday is jicama, a root, which is sweet and has no sodium, some fiber, and some carbs. 100 g of that is less than 50 calories, but it is sweet with a little fructose in the root. I found that consuming 100 g of it filled my tummy and kept hunger away for several hours. This was a Saturday at home where the Nutella and ice cream were. No hunger. Imagine that? On Monday I experimented with dressing the jicama in butter and cinnamon, then baking for a few minutes. The result was a delightfully crunchy sweet buttery cinnamon desert, and still under 100 calories. The other sweets I have are prunes. Fiber good. Sweet fiber kills 2 birds.
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I, personally, keep different protein bars in the house. I have a particular one that is chocolate, 180 calories, as opposed to 250 in a standard Snickers, it's as big as a Snickers bar and nowhere near the amount of sugar but still tastes sweet and I'm actually getting something moderately nutritional out of it. Worst case scenario, I have a couple of those, way less calories, a sh!tload of protein and nowhere near the sugar of a real candy bar.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I don't buy them (often), then I don't have the temptation right there.
    I think part of this is just a habit, and it can be harder if you are cutting out lots of other stuff too.
    My strategy is to set my goal with a small deficit so that I can eat a pretty good amount of food with actual nutrition and leave room for some treats as well.
    If you are still hungry after you've eaten all your calories - have you set a deficit that is unrealistically large?
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's about willpower and not giving a certain food a higher "value" than others. Here's what has worked for me: Try looking at sweet things as having their rightful place in your calorie count, no more than cereal, beef, or vegetables. Practice eating single and smaller portions. Be mindful about it - don't blow your calorie count. You might fail a few times, keep practicing. And give yourself a high five when you walk away from seconds.
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    For me, it's definitely upping my intake of fats (avocado, nuts, coconut oil) and protein.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sweets. My downfall. I keep most stuff out of the house. I only buy high quality stuff that comes in small serving sizes, so I feel more satisfied when I only eat a little. For example: a fancy, flavored dark chocolate Lindt bar where in only eat 2 squares as opposed to a cheap Hershey bar (ick).

The less I eat it, the easier things get. The less I crave it. Also, the more I avoid crappy sweets, the crappier they taste when I DO eat them, which then makes me not want to eat them! I'm becoming quite the candy snob. So it's easier for me to turn it down when someone offers or I see it.

The more I eat sugar, the more I want to eat. Its a viscious cycle. So the best thing I can do for myself is to cut way back for a while. Then reintroduce small amounts of high quality sweets.