I love REI

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
I missed their sale this weekend. I was intending to use the "20 % off one item" coupon on a Garmin HRM-SWIM, but it was a busy weekend. I took my bike out to the mountains, ran a 5k, went hiking with my girlfriend, and an old friend visited from Alaska; no time to shop. So I stopped at the store on my way home yesterday and told them my story. They extended the sale for me. :smile:

Replies

• ChxSurf782
    ChxSurf782 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I just joined the REI Co-op this week...
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    That's a very dangerous store for my budget! Way too much cool stuff.
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My hubs loves REI ! The sales are great and the gear is top notch. We are planning a few vacations with REI. Kilimanjaro and the Everest Base Camp hike within the next 5 years.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    REI has become overpriced, though. I have begun ordering many items online...cheaper, and the online retailers have the same return policy REI does.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    and for the Canadians REI was the Inspiration for our MEC Mountain Equipment Co-op.

Before it existed a carload of folks would go to REI in Seattle, buy gear, drive back to Vancouver and sell it. Eventually they formed MEC.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    REI has become overpriced, though.

You know, people say this a lot. I looked for the specific HRM I wanted, and everybody who sold it had the same price.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    That is really excellent.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have found their customer service to be top notch as well. The staff there are always very knowledgeable about their products, which sets them apart from most of the other large chain stores we have in the area. Plus I love their Co-op program.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How awesome that they extended the sale offer for you. I got some good stuff at the recent sale, including new shoes! We've been members for 30 years (shows my age, ha ha) when Seattle was the only store and we lived in Chicago, so everything was mail order.