Hypothyroidism....could this be why I am not losing ANY weight????

Options
I hate to blame my hypothyroidism, but I am eating right and exercising (more than I ever have) for two months now and my weight won't budge! I just had my physical and my levels are right where they should be (with meds). It's so frustrating! I have dropped weight in the past, so why is this time sooooooo hard????

Replies

• stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Have you considered changing your diet? (Example: eating high carb and changing to high fat) Are you weighing and measuring everything accurately when you log? Is your calorie goal too high? Too low? I couldn't access your feed/diary so it's difficult to give decent advice here for me
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    dietstokes wrote: »
    If your levels are where they should be, then your thyroid with meds is working the same as a typical thyroid and it is likely that that is not the cause.

Are you weighing everything? Not going off the numbers on the back of the package? Not using measuring cups/spoons, but weighing. Are you entering workout calories? How much of the work out calories are you entering (since MFP and machines typically overestimates calories burned).

If weight loss is not happening, then it is typically an issue with logging somewhere. I would start there, make sure you are very accurate there, and then give it a few weeks. If after a few weeks you still see no change, it may come down to eating too much. Not sure what your calorie goal is, but you may need to play with the amount by a 100 calories or so.

Hope this helped!

This. Its always this.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    If your levels are where they should be, then your thyroid with meds is working the same as a typical thyroid and it is likely that that is not the cause.

Are you weighing everything? Not going off the numbers on the back of the package? Not using measuring cups/spoons, but weighing. Are you entering workout calories? How much of the work out calories are you entering (since MFP and machines typically overestimates calories burned).

If weight loss is not happening, then it is typically an issue with logging somewhere. I would start there, make sure you are very accurate there, and then give it a few weeks. If after a few weeks you still see no change, it may come down to eating too much. Not sure what your calorie goal is, but you may need to play with the amount by a 100 calories or so.

Hope this helped!

This OP
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Hope this helped!

All this! Plus if what I just looked at in your diary is correct, then you definitely need to eat more. You should be eating what mfp tells you, PLUS your exercise calories. Check to make sure your entries are correct first like this poster said though because you could be under logging if it isn't accurate.

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I would stay eat more, exercise and ensure that you have a 500 daily calorie deficit = 3500 calories = 1 lb per week.

Asa someone without a thyroid, you are going to have to move every day. I try to have 500 calories a day deficit.

Check out that your Vitamin D levels are ok, that will entail having a blood test, mine was extremely low. Cut out the white stuff - especially white flour etc. I also cut soy out of my diet. Good luck.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,414 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely possible to lose weight while being hypothyroid. I mean, I lost weight with hashimotos while not getting any treatment without any problems. it just comes down to weighing everything accurately (that means using a food scale for everything) and choosing the right data base entries.
  • reinventingjessica11
    reinventingjessica11 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Definitely frustrating. While I agree it's important to make sure you're logging and weighing everything accurately, its still hard to lose while hypo. At least it is for me. If you're on medication and your numbers are "in range" its still possible for them to not be the right range for you. My numbers were perfect according to my endo, but I didn't lose anything until I switched my meds and my dosage. Now that I'm on a compounded med with an adjustment in the dosage, I have been losing as long as I track everything and exercise daily. It's still not easy, but the scale is finally moving.
  • robinketer533
    robinketer533 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you gotten off Gluten? Rid your diet of this and you may see a change, it helped me and I also have hypothyroidism.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    I have had similar problems for a few years. Here is what is working for me. It comes from a book called State of Slim by 2 Dr's at Anschutz Medical Center in Denver. Eat 6 times per day; first meal within hour of waking; each meal 4-6 oz lean protein and as many non starchy vegs as you want; at 3 meals you can have some starchy carb from their list; 15 almonds or TBS olive oil 2x/day. I'm not doing it perfectly but having more success than I ever have and not hungry or craving at all. I would suggest the book because theres more to it but this might get you started a week and you could see how you feel.
  • DerangedPixi
    DerangedPixi Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    oliversnh wrote: »
    I hate to blame my hypothyroidism, but I am eating right and exercising (more than I ever have) for two months now and my weight won't budge! I just had my physical and my levels are right where they should be (with meds). It's so frustrating! I have dropped weight in the past, so why is this time sooooooo hard????

First OP, are all your levels okay or just one of the 3 - T4, T3, TSH ? Becauase my T4 & T3 can be perfect but my TSH can be way out and cause problems. I have been dealing with my thyroid issues since I was 18 and this was often the case for me. It took almost 12 years before they got everything figured out, a change in diet did help for a while but changing medications was the biggest help for my thyroid.

Second, Was this an endo or just a PCP? There is a difference, Endo's generally are a bit better for dealing with the thyroid in my experience they get you the answers and work with you. PCP's can just dismiss things.
    synacious wrote: »
    If she's not losing weight on what she's currently eating, the solution is not to eat MORE. I suspect logging issues/eating more calories than she thinks.

You are wrong, not eating enough could be the issue. Bumping cals up could help.

That said, it could be not accurate logging, it could be not logging everything.

It could be that you are logging a guesstimate in calories burned and eating all those calories back and over eating thinking you aren't.

It could be about 1 million reasons why this is harder than it has been in the past.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Have you gotten off Gluten? Rid your diet of this and you may see a change, it helped me and I also have hypothyroidism.

No. Unless you have a diagnosed medical condition that requires it, eliminate lt gluten is not needed to lose weight.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,414 Member
    Options
    solieco1 wrote: »
    I have had similar problems for a few years. Here is what is working for me. It comes from a book called State of Slim by 2 Dr's at Anschutz Medical Center in Denver. Eat 6 times per day; first meal within hour of waking; each meal 4-6 oz lean protein and as many non starchy vegs as you want; at 3 meals you can have some starchy carb from their list; 15 almonds or TBS olive oil 2x/day. I'm not doing it perfectly but having more success than I ever have and not hungry or craving at all. I would suggest the book because theres more to it but this might get you started a week and you could see how you feel.

If you're on thyroid meds you should not be eating or drinking anything for 30-60 minutes after getting up and taking your medication. it works best on an empty stomach.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

No. Unless you have a diagnosed medical condition that requires it, eliminate lt gluten is not needed to lose weight.

Agreed.

I will say, and I haven't tried it, that others who have been dealing with this longer than I have (YMMV) have said going low-carb with thyroid issues has been helpful when they couldn't budge weight.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Asking this question is going to garner you SO many responses that will conflict with one another. The best way to move forward is to pick one answer path, research it to the best of your ability, then stay consistent with its application.

Here is my opinion/suggestion:

Hypothyroidism is tricky. Please find a doctor that will treat your symptoms, not your blood test levels. Your levels can be in the "normal" range, but that "normal" comparison group does not include a You. If You are feeling the effects of hypothyroidism and testing at a normal level, you are still in need of medication adjustment.

I took a look at your diary. As a person who has came from years and years and years of under-eating (and being fat the entire time while eating LESS), I can see what you're trying to do. High food volume to make you feel full for the least amount of calories possible. I know it seems counterintuitive, but our bodies need more than what you're giving yours - just to function daily. Your body is a machine. Without proper fueling, it's not going to function correctly. Sure, it will lose weight in the beginning ... every starving body will lose weight. And hair. And energy. Until the weight loss stops. And the only place to go is down; taking your calories to an even lower level or exercising at an even higher rate. Nothing about that sounds appealing nor is it feasible for a lifetime.

I stuck to ~1200 calories for YEARS. Sometimes even less. I tried exercising more, exercising less, high carb, low carb, high fat, low fat, ketosis, fasting, cardio, strength training, CrossFit, swimming, diet pills, diet drinks, etc., etc., etc. All the while, I was doing nothing but damage to my metabolism.

A few years ago, I found the Eat More 2 Weigh Less concept. There is a message board on here (search the boards) with all kinds of information and amazing people. There is also a website - www.em2wl.com. Initially I increased my calories following the guidelines and ... my weight went up. I freaked out! Then I talked to people who'd been through it. My body was holding onto those extra calories because I had been starving it for so long. Intrinsically, my body said, "Hey! I got more calories for more energy! I need to hoard those suckers for the next time I'm starving!" However, as time progressed, my body found that new normal of a higher caloric intake ... and began to release fat. I began losing weight while eating 2000-2300 calories. Prior to my current pregnancy, I was eating around that amount and training for my next Strongman competition. My weight loss was not as fast, but that's because I added in massive amounts of strength training. However, I can EAT and enjoy it! My workouts are because I love being active, I love lifting heavy, I love the people I train with and I love seeing what my body is capable of.

Best of luck to you! If you have questions, feel free to message me.