How often do you weigh in?

Options
I've been really obsessed with weighing myself in my free-time lately, doing it more than 3 times a day.

Last time, I lost weight it was through a very unhealthy way. I lost pounds very quickly (and gained some back without too much trouble, as you can imagine) going from 198 pounds to 155 in 3 months. This time I'm trying to lose it through healthy eating and exercise, it's been very frustrating losing the pounds so slowly but I know it's better this way.

Everytime I see that the dial hasn't moved from the last time I weighed in, I feel more angry and disappointed in myself...so I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's better to weigh in something like once every three days or once a week.

So I wanted to ask everyone: Do you think that is it better to weigh in once a week or everyday?

Replies

• amyamadea
    amyamadea Posts: 17
    Options
    Once a week, or less. Of course you're not going to see much of a difference if you weigh in every single day, or more than once a day so waiting and seeing the collective weight loss over a week is much more satisfying
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Once a week , the scale will go up and down so much
    it is best to weigh one day a week first thing in the morning
    after bathroom. I weigh on thursday Tomorrow to W day lol
  • gisellybean
    gisellybean Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Once a week. Your body changes too much from day to day for readings to be accurate within the day... weigh yourself at the same time every week. I do it right when I wake up.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people will agree 1x a week is sufficient. sometimes I like to step on scale mid week to see how I am doing or weigh in after a "cheat" to see how bad I did.
  • angelaclev
    angelaclev Posts: 95
    Options
    I weigh in on sat. mornings only. So that i dont get discourged on the weekends if I happen to eat more fattening foods.
  • timlord
    timlord Posts: 158
    Options
    again, ask your self this: would you rather lose 10 pounds of scale weight, or see it come off, lose body fat, and inches?
    dont worry about the scales, mscle weighs more
    if you gain 5 pounds but drop 2 dress sizes???? I had a client , well 3 of them, do just that...keep up the good work
  • chr0meangel
    Options
    Oh good - thanks for asking, and thanks for sharing. My scale went up the other day, and I started beating myself up over it. I need to not weigh the day after I've had a bad day, because I know what the answer will be...
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning b/c I'm obsessed :), but I only officially weigh in once a week. I never weigh myself after I've eaten for the day, b/c that gets wicked depressing.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself at least once a day, and I would get upset whenever the scale didn't move, or when I would gain 0.2lbs, which would usually result with me eating more than I should since I felt like it didn't matter anyways. Now, I weigh in every Monday morning and my goal is to lose 1 pound a week. Yes it's slow, but it's so much easier to eat a little less and move a little more to lose 1 pound a week than before when I would get all crazy and try to lose 5 pounds a week. Sometimes I slip up and weigh a few times a week, but I try not to freak out anymore. My weight fluctuates daily, but as long as I'm averaging a one pound loss a week I'm happy.
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    The same time once a week. The less clothes on the better, and make sure you go to the bathroom beforehand! Mornings are the best.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Twice a week. If I do any more than that, I become obsessive.
  • gisellybean
    gisellybean Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people will agree 1x a week is sufficient. sometimes I like to step on scale mid week to see how I am doing or weigh in after a "cheat" to see how bad I did.

Haha, I cheat plenty too.. I know not to let myself get beat up or excited over my mid-week peeks!
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I weigh multiple times daily, but only officially once a week. However, I don't let my daily fluctuations bother me. I just like to be aware of how my food/water intake affects my daily weight.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every day same time. But only log what I see once a week, same day.
  • sm0113
    sm0113 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning b/c I'm obsessed :), but I only officially weigh in once a week. \

same here. I only record the number every Friday, but i usually get on the scale every morning during the week if i think about doing it.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    For the first 15 weeks I weighed myself once a week and it was great. For some reason in the past 4 weeks I started weighing myself everyday... and I can't stop!!!

I would recommend once a week!
  • jodidlyO
    jodidlyO Posts: 37
    Options
    I know I shouldn't, but I weigh myself every morning. If I stop weighing myself I get lazy and cheat on my diet.
    Weighing myself often is usually a reflection of my motivation, but I've never been much good at moderation.
  • davidrt
    davidrt Posts: 162
    Options
    i get angry at myself because im not losing fast enough then i get mad at myself because i let myself get fat and out of shape, it didnt go on me in a day and its not coming off in a day, watch what you eat exercise you will do fine, dont pay as much attention to the scale as your tape measure, as you lose fat you gain muscle so dont get discoraged, you will do great
  • LiveThinLiveWell
    LiveThinLiveWell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a day, it keeps me on track. However, everyone is different. If you are beating yourself up, you are doing harm by keeping negative thoughts around you. That will make you gain weight, too. Why don't you try to only weigh once or twice a week for three weeks and see if that works for you. You can do it!
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Friday morning and log it here on MFP. I do occasionally weigh myself on Monday too, just to see where I stand after the weekend (not that I do any crazy eating on the weekend, but it helps motivate me more).