Spinning bike cadence/rpm monitor (non magnetic)

Options
ljread1
ljread1 Posts: 19 Member
Before I take the plunge and buy a fitbit, are there any cadence/rpm/calorie monitors out there that can be affixed to an old style Kaiser spin bike? There are no spokes to affix a magnetic device to, as it's belt driven.
Could one be fixed to the pedal?
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yes. There are cadence sensors that can be mounted to the pedal arm, but you'll need a device for the sensor to connect to. There are both bluetooth and ant sensors out that could connect to your phone, then just download a free app like the one from Wahoo Fitness.

Or you can always buy a cycling watch/computer that will connect to and interface with the sensor too... really depends on what functionality you want and how much you want to spend.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Don't know about fitbit but my Garmin cadence sensor attaches to the crank (it's not magnetic) and along with my Forerunner GPS (which can be set to indoors) and HRM gives me lots of data about my rides.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/garmins-spd-cad-magnetless-sensors.html

I think Wahoo makes a magnetless, accelerometer-based one as well. But I'm not sure, my pedals report cadence because it's needed to calculate power, so I don't pay much attention to other solutions to this one.
  • ljread1
    ljread1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Cheers, food for thought there! :)