Reaching protein goals vegetarian 1200 cals

Options
heronk224
heronk224 Posts: 4 Member
edited June 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hi! I'm having some trouble reaching my protein goals while staying under my calorie limit (1200, I'm small but have some chubbiness to lose) I'm a vegetarian, so I do eat eggs, and some dairy (I'm a little allergic to dairy so I limit it), but I find that a lot of non meat protein is high in calories, so maintaining both the protein and the calorie goals is tough. Is anyone else having this issue? And does anyone have any suggestions? Any help is super appreciated!

Replies

• duffydog1
    duffydog1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Egg white omelettes are a great breakfast! I use 3 and then fill with steamed spinach and mushrooms or fresh tomato and black pepper. Just use some cooking spray in your pan or a tiny bit of olive oil - good luck!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Seitan (made from wheat gluten) is a good source, since it is essentially all protein (you're not "paying" for your protein with non-protein calories). Combining whole eggs with egg whites (I use the liquid egg whites in a carton rather than toss perfectly good yolks) is a good way to boost the protein for few calories in your scrambled eggs or omelets. I find beans and lentils a good way to get protein and fiber, and the calories seem reasonable to me, but I'm not trying to get by on 1200 calories.

Is all dairy a problem? What component of dairy are you allergic to? Whey? Casein?
    Greek yogurt and cottage cheese (lower or non-fat if you can't spare the calories) are good protein sources if you can tolerate them.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I think it would be really, really hard to hit your protein goals on a 1200 calorie diet being a vegetarian. I think your best bet would be eggs whites as people have mentioned. Lactose free high protein milk, and supplementing with protein powder, protein bars, quest protein chips. Artic Zero and Enlightened ice cream is lactose free and gives a good dose of protein.
  • m170
    m170 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Since I am vegan I am also always keeping an eye out for tips on how to include enough protein in my diet. Some good plant-based sources of protein are: black beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, lentils, green peas, soy products, barley, almonds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, oats, quinoa and for greens usually the ones mentioned are kale and spinach. For a while I used a soy-based protein powder which made it really very easy to get to my daily amount of protein but I try to manage without now.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and Finally I found an organic plant based protein powder created by a physician who had cancer. He researched protein powders and then decided to create his own. His cancer now intermission. The name of his protein powders and ready to drink is Orgain.
    He also has ready to drink, meal replacement shakes and Orgain Kids. 24 grams of protein in his protein powders. I purchase Vanilla Bean for its versatility. On days I feel I need something different I add cocoa or peanut butter.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Stop by a local GNC store and ask for samples of vegan powders.
  • heronk224
    heronk224 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Seitan (made from wheat gluten) is a good source, since it is essentially all protein (you're not "paying" for your protein with non-protein calories). Combining whole eggs with egg whites (I use the liquid egg whites in a carton rather than toss perfectly good yolks) is a good way to boost the protein for few calories in your scrambled eggs or omelets. I find beans and lentils a good way to get protein and fiber, and the calories seem reasonable to me, but I'm not trying to get by on 1200 calories.

Is all dairy a problem? What component of dairy are you allergic to? Whey? Casein?
    Greek yogurt and cottage cheese (lower or non-fat if you can't spare the calories) are good protein sources if you can tolerate them.

Thank you for the tips! I have a whey allergy. I can tolerate smallish amounts of dairy, like I'll usually have Greek yogurt, but I can't do too much
  • JuliaHaleFitness
    JuliaHaleFitness Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Eggs, Greek yogurt, tofu, cottage cheese, beans, chia!