Members with high blood pressure with open diaries.

Options
I was wondering if and members with high blood pressure have open diaries. I have high bp and need to start eating much much better and was looking maybe to see how other members with high bp menus look like.

Thanks

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've found that the best thing to help my blood pressure issues is to go low carb (moderate plan). Sodium and such doesn't play in as much as most folks think unless you have an underlying genetic issue. Traditional blood pressure responds to sodium when the rest of the dietary plan is wacky. I retain water and have all kind of BP chaos when I don't get enough sodium... If you're looking for something that goes against traditional wisdom, feel free to shoot me a friend request. If you want the same old song and dance, I'm probably not your best bet. Best of luck to you however you go!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    One of the things frequently overlooked by doctors is potassium, they warn you about sodium but seldom mention potassium. The RDA for potassium is 4,700mg.

I've had (and have a family history of) mild hypertension for years but wasn't aware of how much potassium we need until I had a mild stroke a couple of years ago.........the neurologist's nurse was surprised at my readings once I started making a conscious effort.

One of my dietary staples has become low sodium V8 and/or low sodium Mott's Garden Cocktail (whichever is on sale that week).

As KnitOrMiss mentioned there also seems to be a correlation between reducing carbs a lowering blood pressure but that may also be a function of the attendant weight loss rather than the carbs themselves.

There was also a study by McMaster University released last week that going too low sodium is not a great idea either.....

cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/low-sodium-diet-mcmaster-study-1.3595743
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @BrianSharpe It definitely doesn't help on potassium that the USDA does not require it to be tracked on labels, so it's really difficult to know sometimes what you're getting and not. Magnesium is also critical in the electrolyte balance (water, sodium, magnesium, and potassium), so if you're not getting enough of those things together, the body will dump the other things to balance, so you might get enough potassium, but not enough sodium to hold it in the body, etc. It's a delicate dance. Additionally, we (first world countries) are almost as deficient in boron as we are in magnesium (due to soil depletion and pesticides, etc.). Without boron to strengthen and reinforce cellular walls, the magnesium and potassium can be pulled out of the cells in which they're so desperately needed through no fault of their own... Calcium, Vitamin D3, and K2 complete this "circle" of life... If your D3 is out of whack, nothing else will be level. K2 gets the D3 where it needs to go, and D3 is needed to absorb calcium. Potassium and magnesium are the passport they used to get into the cells, and boron helps them stay there...
  • AdamLeal
    AdamLeal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all this great info. I have had heart palpitations, and started a regimen of magnesium, zinc, k2 with d3, and vitamin c to help. Also have high BP, so guess its refreshing to know that these have helped a lot. Also when I was having palpitations my potassium levels were really low so I am prescribed potassium I forget how much, but it is a huge pill.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,141 Member
    Options
    You can check my diary.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I was recently able to stop taking all my blood pressure medicine! My diary is open!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    drdavidwilliams.com/blood-pressure-lowering-nutrients/

I had high blood pressure but have been taking garlic, magnesium, potassium, coq10, vitamins c and e and have started regular exercising and it has gone down.