Powerlifting while losing weight

Options
Ive currently started training for powerlifting which is going great! but im also still trying to lose another 50 lbs which my weight loss has completly halted! Incredibly ive lost a pants size, while staying within the same 3-5lbs but not losing more than that. Im going to talk to my personal trainer next session but anyone else have suggestions or ideas to help?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    its gonna take a long time to lose 50 lbs, maybe a year. give it some time. weight loss isn't linear. keep eating at a slight deficit. Also while powerlifting and losing weight you should expect to lose strength so don't get discouraged with your lifts, just keep track of your PRs at your different body weights and dont worry too much about comparing your at your goal weight PRS to your current weight Prs,
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    First off, I assume you are training for the Big 3 lifts but not actually in a powerlifting competition... Basically you are Strength Training on a cut.

You can do this, just note that the lifts will progress slower than on a bulk. So don't go on any intensive programs looking to smash PRs all the time - you are getting stronger RELATIVE to your weight.

If you are a novice, you can still make daily progression, but you may have to switch that to weekly or monthly PRs sooner due to the restricted calories (which is fine! slow and steady wins the race). And the older / less male you are, the less surplus calories you need to drive your muscle adaptations, so eating at a deficit is perfectly acceptable.

Focus hard on your cut, and stick with 3x5 strength routines if you are a novice, or consider 5/3/1 or GZCL for monthly increases if you are intermediate (at least until you are done your cut).
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Sounds like maybe you are recomping- losing some fat while building some muscle. Many people can greatly improve their body composition via recomp while staying about the same weight, especially if they are relatively new to lifting. If having the scale move for competition sake is very important to you, you will likely have to increase your calorie deficit, which as mentioned, may cause strength loss. If you keep on with recomping you will likely gain strength while losing fat. Some people will ride the recomp train as long as they can make that work for them, others will want to get the body fat down faster, even if that means sacrificing some strength gains. Think about your goals, talk to your trainer. For me on my own journey, it comes down to how badly I want to lose fat versus gaining more strength. I decided to first lose the fat.
  • xmasgrace
    xmasgrace Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Im in my 3rd cycle of training which is 5weeks per cycle. I originally started MFP to lose weight and lost about 40lbs in a year. Became interested in powerlifiting switched personal trainers and started lifting. Ive made incredible gains in 3 cycles Deadlft 285 squat 245 bench 135. Went from calorie intake of 1600 with my previous trainer and my new trainer had me increase to 1900 to retain muscle. But i am still at a deficit, like i mentioned i have noticed muscle tone and lost a complete pants size but literal scale # is not budging.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    have you tried switching up your macros? i know the online mfp philosophy is CICO, but in the real world some of the people i powerlift with will go low carb or something like keto and lose weight on the same calorie intake. If you are adding calories to retain muscle, you're probably also be retaining fat, you might just have to go back to 1600. I dont know what your body stats are, but i have to go to about 1400 to lose weight, anything more than that i stall in maintenence.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Boo, my post must have been filtered as I put in a link. Summary, I lost 35lbs powerlifting 4+years ago doing 2 12 weeks cycles of SL5x5. Deads 350 Squats 325 Bench 215. I stopped lifting and watching my diet and gained it all back + some so I'm starting from scratch again. But in that 240-205lb weight loss I went from a 42 jean to a 34. . Even now at 252lb I can wear my old pre lifting clothes I used to wear at 220-230 lbs. You body will carry the weight much differently

If the scale is getting you down do weekly measurements. Neck, shoulders, chest,biceps,waist, thighs. The fat will come off even if the scale weight is slower than a high cardio, high rep/low weight training routine. As Sonya mentioned check your macros. Google Mark Bell weight loss for a good read on a 290lb prototypical powerlifter with the big belly and how he lost while still lifting 1000+lifts.

Remember, you aren't powerlifting for "weight loss" so much as powerlifting to lose fat and gain lean, powerful muscle.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    If the scale isn't moving, you probably aren't in much of a deficit, if any. Deficit should equal pounds lost.
    It sounds like you are probably close to maintenance right now and seeing some recomping like I mentioned.
    I agree, you might need to drop back to 1600 to start seeing the scale move quicker, if that's what you want. You don't need to be too concerned about muscle loss if you stick with .5-1 lb of weightloss per week and continue to lift. Depending on your stats, With 50 lbs to lose, 1 lb per week should be fine.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Quit getting on the scale looking for a change!

I am body recomping and to be honest I care little about the scale outside how it helps me get my Lean Body Mass (LBM.)

Want to find something much more fun and rewarding to track? (I like messurements but they arent my favorite.). Track your LBM and bodyfat %. Do you really know how much fat you need to lose?

People have been saying I look great but my scale hasnt changes much... It moves like .1-2 lbs a week and sometime little more than .1 a week.

When I put on a shirt and its way too big I just kind of laugh. I weighed 40 pounds less before and the shirt just barely fit.

Some people say lose all your bodyfat first... I like body recomp much more.
  • xmasgrace
    xmasgrace Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My trainer and i are going to retest my bodyfat this week and see my changes since i first started and focus on body fat percentage and not scale number! Made some great gains this week! Thanks again!