Exercising causing cold sores/fever blisters?

Options
OK, I rarely get cold sores/fever blisters. However, since I have started working out regularly I am getting a new one every couple of weeks. Seems that just as my lip heals I have a new one in a week. Is this related to working out? I've read that stress can bring out cold sores/fever blisters. Could physical stress such as working out do the same? Anyone else experience this? :frown:

Replies

• ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    What triggers the reactivation of the herpes virus?
    (What triggers outbreaks of cold sores?)
    Each of the following items has been found to be an event that is often associated with the formation of cold sores. Many of these factors seem to correlate with time periods when a person's immune system would be expected to be weakened or stressed. If compromised, a person's immune system, which under normal circumstances would be able to keep the herpes virus particles in check, can be overwhelmed and a window of opportunity for cold sore formation can be opened.

•Emotional upset and stress.
    •Physical stress and fatigue.
    •Illnesses (including a cold or the flu).
    •Injury to the lips or skin, such as physical trauma or severe chapping.
    •Injury to the lips from excessive exposure to bright sunlight or ultraviolet lamps.
    •Menstruation or pregnancy.
    •An immune system deficiency.
    Research has shown that today's antiviral medications for cold sores can significantly minimize cold sore severity and duration if their use is started early enough. By observing which factors typically trigger their cold sores a person can learn when to expect an outbreak. If a person begins the use of antiviral medications early enough (preferably during the Tingle stage) they can quite possibly reduce cold sore symptoms dramatically.
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of getting cold sores from working out. But something to try, start taking lysine- supplements. A girl I used to work with swore by taking 1-2 pills a night.
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Oh and arginine---the opposite amino from lysine is in a lot of protein shakes etc. So it could be your ratios are off and that could be causing them
  • noreenk
    Options
    I allso get cold sores quite frenquntly (sp) and I do find that taking lysine helps ALOT allso make sure you are getting enough water as dehydration will cause an outbreak. which if you are doing a lot of exercising and sweating you may be dehydrating yourself.
  • hitxgirl
    hitxgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    From the list previously posted...I would consider my workouts as physical stress. And I definately have some fatigue after! LOl! I am going to try the L-lysine. Thanks!
  • tracytribes
    tracytribes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    "excessive" exercise is said to bring them on. It happens to me whenever I fall of the wagon and jump back on because I don't enter back in to exercise with moderation. Lysine 1-2000mg daily had me good for along time but I stopped taking it so gotta get back to that. Also keeping prescription Valtrex around is helpful, if you take it when you first feel the cold sore, it usually never comes out--you will still be able to spread it and you still technically have the cold sore but you won't have to deal with the visual embarassment. It's very frustrating I feel your pain.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I get them when my immune system is overloaded. Normally when it's flu season or the house has a few sickies in it. My body refuses to just get sick and be done with it. It will fight and the result is fever blisters. I normally get them on the area between my nose and lips, in my nose, or on my lips. Most often it's when I'm involved in a lot of physical activity. I just keep them from drying out so they won't hurt with Neosporin which keeps them from getting infected too.
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yes I had breakouts when I first started excercising, and at 7 weeks they are still continuing. I am able to keep them in check with Lysine and using a topical prescription cream zorvax. I hope eventually my body will accept these new changes and be able to keep the virus in check. This is not stopping me.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    do u tend to chew on ur lip when u are working out?? some people seem to bite down on their lip when they are concentrating hard on something, that could be part of your problem
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    OK, I rarely get cold sores/fever blisters. However, since I have started working out regularly I am getting a new one every couple of weeks. Seems that just as my lip heals I have a new one in a week. Is this related to working out? I've read that stress can bring out cold sores/fever blisters. Could physical stress such as working out do the same? Anyone else experience this? :frown:

physical/emotional/mental stress can cause an outbreak.....I have gotten them since I was a little girl...I now take 500mg L-Lysine capsule daily to boost my immune system so I dont get them :)
  • YoYo1951
    YoYo1951 Posts: 370
    Options
    I do and have always had them so bad that I have to draw my lip line on, due to scaring. The best thing I ever had was to get a Smallpox shot, kept them at bay for about a year. I have been unable to get the shot for many years, doctors won't do it as easily as before. I get dry lips when I work out, I lick them, and I get chapped, then fever blister. Ouch. Zovarax (aclovair (spelling) cream and pills help me when I start to feel the tingle. Don't lick
  • ciaracrozier
    Options
    It's nice to know I am not the only one this happens to. Just started working out again, and have a huge breakout on my lower lip. Guess it's time to start taking the Lysine supplements daily again, as well as pumping my system will Vitamin C, D and B! Hopefully that will help keep them under control. I just know that I am not giving up this time!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Yes, exercise is a stressor. It will become less so the more of a routine it becomes for you.
  • exercise_warrior
    exercise_warrior Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. When I have a rigorous cardio workout, occasionally I will feel the virus activate in my face while I am exercising. That is not a happy feeling. One tough workout can do it. Several good cardio workouts on consecutive days will almost assuredly do it for me and I can feel the virus activate every time. This has been the case for a few years now. It is interesting to read above that hydration may help prevent a breakout. I will have to try drinking more during the workout and not afterward like I typically do. Lysine does help keep it in check as others have said.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    No one has said how much L-lysine is enough. I take 500 mg daily and up it to 1000 when I have an outbreak. (My issue is usually canker sores, caused by accidentally biting my lip, tounge, or inside of mouth, not cold sores.)
    PS Oops, I see that one poster said 500.
  • kareeRose
    kareeRose Posts: 32 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Absolutely. When I have a rigorous cardio workout, occasionally I will feel the virus activate in my face while I am exercising. That is not a happy feeling. One tough workout can do it. Several good cardio workouts on consecutive days will almost assuredly do it for me and I can feel the virus activate every time. This has been the case for a few years now. It is interesting to read above that hydration may help prevent a breakout. I will have to try drinking more during the workout and not afterward like I typically do. Lysine does help keep it in check as others have said.
    As soon as you feel it activate, apply peppermint essential oil on it day and night, with a clean q-tip. Should stop the outbreak, but you have to catch it in the first day or so.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/13678235/
  • jm13mccagg
    jm13mccagg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've noticed if i drink a protein shake right after a tough work out i don't get them at all. I'm like you and break out with colds sores after exhausting work outs. Just thought i'd put this to help someone out if they are looking this up, like i did.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    No one has said how much L-lysine is enough. I take 500 mg daily and up it to 1000 when I have an outbreak. (My issue is usually canker sores, caused by accidentally biting my lip, tounge, or inside of mouth, not cold sores.)
    PS Oops, I see that one poster said 500.

Canker sores are also caused by stress, but not a virus. The best thing is to take care of yourself, relax, and not eat too acidic. Vitacost makes a good supplement "lysine with vitamin c & echinacea".
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'll get canker sores and coldsores if I am really run down. It's usually a combo of sleep deficit, under eating or poor eating and excessive exertion.