Counting the calories when eating out?

Options
shellybsn
shellybsn Posts: 57 Member
I live in a very small town. The only "chain" restaurant in McDonalds (I don't eat there). We go to a small mom and pop Mexican restaurant in town. How do I figure the calories? I've been using similar items posted to the database and just using them instead (usually leaving a few extra calories available just in case). Any other ideas?

Replies

• ItsMeMaryW
    ItsMeMaryW Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That's what I do for local places that aren't chains. I just try and use my best guess and like you leave some calories on the table for a cushion.
  • Coloradogirl_00
    Options
    Some restaurants post nutrition info in the restaurant or you could ask for it. I suggest you go to the library or buy a book called Eat This Not That. It shows the best choices of what to eat including their calorie count ! And it shows you what is not good to eat. I know McDonalds is in there! Great book ! sometimes when I don't feel like cooking I pick it up and look through for some ideas. It don't have all restaurants but has a lot of popular ones!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I guess just like you do...I believe I usually guess high as I do not like taking chances.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Spot on - the database has so many entries that I can always find something close. If there are a few entries I will usually pick one that is somewhere in the middle. If you eat there all the time you could ask them for details about the ingredients they use if you'd like to, but personally I wouldn't bother. I don't eat anywhere that posts nutrition information (I can't see the guys behind the bar at my local pub coming up with a nutrition guide in a hurry!) but I've always been able to find something similar in the database and it hasn't stopped my weight loss at all.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You could ask them? If its a small town I guess they'd be happy to tell you the main ingredients, how much oil they use, and what the average portion size is. That'd be enough to get a ballpark figure of calories, even if you don't bother with other nutritional info.