Former Weight Watcher

Options
Hi all! My name is Bridget and yes, I'm a former Weight Watcher. I loved the program but it got to be to much...to much money, to much Oprah hype, to many things to purchase for program management. So here I am giving this a shot. I'm looking for a much needed support group as we travel on this journey.

Replies

• eightof11
    eightof11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Bridget
    Welcome! I'm Mary. I have been off and on with MFP for a while but recently decided to come back in and do it right this time. One new thing I've done is started being a part of the community and adding new friends. Seeing the accomplishments of others and the encouragement others give has been inspiring. If you want to do the friend track feel free to add me. Good luck!
  • mgunters5
    mgunters5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Bridget! I am a former WW also and had great success with the Points/Points Plus program. Got away from it and gained most of the weight back that I had worked so hard to lose. Very disappointing!! I tried the online with the new Smart Points and hated it! Feel free to add me as a friend. I have found that it's easier on this weight loss journey if you have people to share your struggles/successes with!
  • marywal1963
    marywal1963 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Bridget, I'm with you. I, too, am a former WW. It is definitely costly and when you're at goal (and it's suppose to be free at that point) and they tell you that you owe $15 because you were late (1 week over) in getting your monthly weigh-in, that's just plain cheap and really turned me off. So, I stopped going because of principle but since quitting, I, unfortunately, did regain 12 lbs of the 35 lbs that I lost so, now I'm nipping this in the bud and starting over by joining MFP. So far, I'm doing well and everyone seems to be really supportive and nice and best of all it's FREE.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    If it's free it's for me! WW is a waste of money imho. Back before mfp was an option I used it with some success but I hated how much it cost
  • Designer20698
    Designer20698 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It made me kind of sad to quit because I had made some really good friends at the meetings. But I've been very good about tracking my food and exercise with MFP and it seems to be doing just as well for me. Has anyone upgraded to the premium grade here? Just wondering if it is worth the cost. Not that $50 for a year is bad as I was paying that to WW every month. LOL! What is the "extra" stuff for upgrading?
  • Designer20698
    Designer20698 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    BTW, how do I add someone as a friend?
  • Anaris2014
    Anaris2014 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I too am a former WW participant.

I find the app for this to be far superior to the WW app.
  • meganmbland
    meganmbland Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too was a weight watcher. I love the program but it became too expensive. I have sadly put on all the weight I had lost. I'm looking for people that can help me feel supported on my weight-loss journey.
  • Daisyhatespeach
    Daisyhatespeach Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Another former weight watcher :)
  • charityweb6
    charityweb6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out with ~50 pounds to lose, so I joined WW online just last week. In my opinion, their website/app were not nearly as nice as MFP--surprising, you would think it would be easier to use and have more features--so I ended up canceling my online WW membership after only 2 days. They refused to refund my money, and I ended up paying $40 for nothing, but I'm very glad I found MFP! I've tracked food and exercise three days in a row now, and I'll "weigh in" once a week just like I would have with WW. Thank you MFP!
  • RijbroekBride
    RijbroekBride Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've used both WW and MFP in the past and always had faster / longer lasting results with MFP... Not to mention a heavier purse! You picked the right program.
  • kblkmw
    kblkmw Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello All!
    I too am a former Weight Watcher. Lost 42 pounds seven years ago and became a lifetime member. Lost it on momentum. Stayed within two pounds of goal for five years but now I gained back 12 of original weight loss. Tried smart points but quit when I logged a cupcake at 23 points!! Yikes. Too restrictive. I just joined MFP today and hoping to lose weight by summer's end.
    I too would like to be friends with anyone who is willing! Thanks!
  • sandydiane
    sandydiane Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing map and thinking of quitting weight watchers. I do like the weight watchers connect part so I'm uncertain what to do.
  • austinartgirl
    austinartgirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Former WW! Lost -100 lbs and have kept 85 off for over 10 years now. I've been doing MFP for a few years and love it. I have not lost that 15 lbs. that I regained from returning back to full-time work 1.5 years ago. Still, I am proud of my accomplishments. WW got the ball moving for me but as others have said, I got tired of the marketing and sub-par apps for a high price. I need MFP friends! I could use the support and would be happy to give some, too.
  • kackara
    kackara Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too am a former ww, although I was on it for only a couple of weeks I found it hard to get my head round.
    I prefer the calorie counting although some days I do struggle to eat the 1780 calories a day it says I should have. I love doing my walking and that also tells me the calories I have burned which is a great boost in itself, wished I'd been told about mfp yrs ago, perhaps I'm just a dinasour when it comes to modern technology lol.... feel free to add me and anyone else please.
  • a_healthy_new_me
    a_healthy_new_me Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Former WW here too... just started MFP today ... anyone feel free to add me, I need as much support as I can get to get rid of these last 20 pounds :)
  • katiemwalsh05
    katiemwalsh05 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also am a former WW - the smart points program was a little too much for me. I felt like I was giving up my favorite foods and that doesn't work for me when I'm trying to lose weight. I'm hoping this will do the trick!
  • pgfitmom
    pgfitmom Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I cancelled my monthly pass with WW just this week. I'm not finding the meetings inspiring though, so I'm not going. I was considering signing up for the online program only... but I don't think I'm going to go ahead with that. I'm starting to build a network of people here. I need that to keep motivated when times are tough.
  • nursecasg
    nursecasg Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Been on both ww and mfp. the only time i got close to goal was when on mfp.
  • RiRi1588
    RiRi1588 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    ** my opinion ** Weight Watchers is a waste of money, trust me I tried it as well. You're paying to learn nutritional advice you can find in so many online forums, blogs or articles. MFP has way more support if you utilize it to its full potential, this community has been amazing! Glad you're saving yourself the membership fees and now that money can be put towards more healthy foods or anything else ;)