Maybe a silly question: when you hit maintenance can you still have refeed/ cheat days?

Options
I'm thinking when I hit maintenance il one in the habit of having that cheat day a week - would you obviously gain weight so need to learn a new behaviour ?

Or could you go slightly under maintenance all week for your cheat day ?

Sorry if this seems silly.

Replies

• ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'm not at maintenance yet, but I gather from friends at maintenance and here on this board that you can go about it however you like as long your calories in don't exceed your calories out at your new maintenance level. Some people figure this out on a weekly basis, stay at a deficit during the week and then have what you might call "cheat days" on the weekend.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    If this is a weekly thing I would look at the calories you consume for the week. You can eat a little lower calories 6 days a week and eat more on the 7th. As long as you are around your maintenance calories for the week you should not gain weight. You might have a larger weight fluctuations due to the heavy day but it won't be fat gain - just water weight, extra food in your system (this may take 2-5 days to even out).

If this is a rare occasion (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Birthday) than I wouldn't worry about being over for one day and wouldn't bother adjusting for it.
  • tautclothing
    tautclothing Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    no the cheat meal should just be to add extra calories to your current diet.
    If you go under before or after it will lessen the effect of the cheat meal.
    Don't forget to structure it and plan for it, rather than have a no limits free for all!!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It all balances out, you can eat at slight deficit for a few days a week to balance out a few days of eating slightly more. What matters that you don't eat over maintenance too often or a gain would happen.

I maintain on 2100-2300 calories. But because I like to eat more at weekends I eat 1800-2000 Mon-Fri so I can eat up to 2400 on Sat and Sun. It all balances out :smile: i.e my weekly TDEE is around 15000 calories, so as long as I stay at that amount or slightly under I maintain my weight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You need to find your calorie balance so if you go over one day you have to compensate somewhere else by going under maintenance.
    Regarding your calorie allowance as a weekly budget is fine.

I would feel like I was on a never-ending diet if I thought I had to stick to the same calories every day.

LOL how did this get flagged?

SMH.

OP, I keep a small deficit so I don't have to worry when I go over. But losing too much has never been a concern for me :p
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Pleas don't refer to those days as cheat days. You need variety in your menus. It's merely that. Just try to make healthy informed choices each day.
  • Frequently_Fabulous
    Frequently_Fabulous Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yup.
    Maintenance for me is going up and down about 5 lbs. When I indulge in bread over veggies, hamburger over chicken, alcohol over water, and cookies and ice cream over fruit, my weight floats up. Then I go back to a stricter diet, cutting out the bread, cookies, alcohol, etc until I lose the five pounds.
    Wash. Rinse. Repeat. :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I've never had cheat days. BUT I go for weekly calories. If you don't have some days you go over, you can't average to your target. I usually am over a few hundred calories one day a week and the rest I'm under.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I eat lower in calories during the week so I can indulge without thinking too much on the weekend. Works well for me for maintaining my weight. If I want to lose I have to reign the weekends in
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'll either stay under for a few days or, if I know I'm going to eat out on say, Sat, I'll jog a couple miles on Fri and then again on Sun. It all evens out as long as you're logging things and blanacing it out in the end.
  • jasonsunlee
    jasonsunlee Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have been in maintenance kode for over 6 months now. I usually have one cheat day a week where I really try not to think too much about what I am consuming on the cheat day. That single day alone can put me up 5 to 7 lbs (especially if I don't work out that day).

I have noticed that losing the weight is really nobproblem after working out the following week and sticking to a caloric intake slightly below maintenance recomme dations. I usually have anywhere from 50 to 500 calories remaining.

Main point is to enjoy a day or a few meals in your work out week. If you aren't a professional body builder and enjoy good food.... EAT! It takes a lot more bad days of eating and no exercise to permanently gain the weight you previously lost as opposed to losing the wright after just a few days of a strict diet and exercise.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    The way to look at it is a weekly maintenance level needs to be hit. If you are going to want to have a "cheat" meal once a week then you should compensate for it earlier in the week. Otherwise you'll be in a surplus and gain weight.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    It all balances out, you can eat at slight deficit for a few days a week to balance out a few days of eating slightly more. What matters that you don't eat over maintenance too often or a gain would happen.

I maintain on 2100-2300 calories. But because I like to eat more at weekends I eat 1800-2000 Mon-Fri so I can eat up to 2400 on Sat and Sun. It all balances out :smile: i.e my weekly TDEE is around 15000 calories, so as long as I stay at that amount or slightly under I maintain my weight.

This is exactly what I do, and my numbers are about the same! Maintenance twins!

I didn't have cheat day when I was losing or now that I'm maintaining but I do sometimes bank calories for more indulgent days.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    3500 calories=1 pound. My tdee is 2200 on sedentary. Even I might find it hard to eat 5700 calories in a day. If you really need it go for it but, don't do it everyday. I have had more days over then under this week and am still at exact same weight as a week ago.
  • dbashby
    dbashby Posts: 44 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    This is opinion only of course, I too am in a similar situation, so you might not want to hear this but I found once a week for refeeds/cheat days even in maintenance mode to be a little to frequent and slowly the pounds came back on. If I did them when I was on my diet phase it seemed to take three days to get back to even which only left 3 more days to lose weight before I was back to a cheat day. Needless to say that slowed progress tremendously. I found it worked best in both the diet and maintenance phase if cheat days were every ten days, as it seemed to much easier to maintain weight with very little extra required on the non cheat days and every fourteen seemed to be to infrequent of a reward. I know most people want them every 7 days so it falls on a weekend and you can go crazy all day long. When a cheat day falls on a work day it isn't quite the extravaganza that you most likely want, which is why when it eventually falls on a weekend and you do blow it out, it isn't such a big deal from a weight management perspective. If it must be every 7 days make it a work day unless you work at an ice cream parlor or fast food restaurant. I think if you do either of those two things you will find it easier to maintain the weight. I'm sure that isn't want to hear but remember it has to ultimately be a lifestyle change not a diet or the pounds will come back on.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I have one true cheat meal a week and have maintained for 12+ years. When I am getting ready for a bikini vacation (like now, yay) I limit those meals, maybe only one in the 6 weeks or so I take to really get ready. Anyhow it's worked for me.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If you eat more than your maintenance calories, you'll gain weight. So if you want to have a high-calorie meal, you'll need to balance your intake for the rest of the week.