Food Scale Recommendations

Options
I've noticed in many of these forums that many of you swear by food scales. I'm in the market for one but I thought I'd ask; is there one that some of you like best? All recommendations welcome. Thanks.

Replies

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you not get the Sharper Image food scale they sell at Bed Bath and Beyond. I've only had it a couple months and I will be buying a new one this weekend.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Look for something digital, with a tare button and the easy ability to switch between grams and ounces. I'd also suggest looking for something with a higher weight capacity. Mine's a Taylor that's lasted me almost 4 years, but it can't handle a big pot of food if I wanted to weigh a heavy batch of something.
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a Taylor too. I bought it at Target for about $25. I love it
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The one I've owned forever has also been America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated's top rated scale for ages. It's the OXO Good Grips® 11-lb Food Scale with Pull-Out Display. I absolutely love it. It is a tad expensive though at $50. OXO also makes a 5-lb version that is $30.

I just checked and apparently, they just revisited kitchen scales again and it's still their top choice, but the article also suggested one by Ozeri for $11.79 if the OXO is too expensive.

Hopefully this link will work. Sometimes they won't show up for non-subscribers.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment_reviews/1696-digital-kitchen-scales

Edit: I just checked the link from a friend's computer who doesn't subscribe to them. It didn't show all the tested scales and let them see the break down of the testing, but it still gave a brief overview of why they like that scale.
  • laurelann19
    laurelann19 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have an Ozeri, which was only $8.99 on Amazon. 11-lb limit, tare button, changes units... Gets the job done!
  • BadAssAries
    BadAssAries Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome! I was already looking at the Taylor & almost purchased it but wanted to know what others thought. I also have several OXO kitchen products but I haven't checked out their scale. This is all so helpful. Thanks so much for your help; I will narrow my search to just these products (sans The Sharper Image; thanks @alyssa0061). Have a great day!!!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Taylor has lasted me like 8 years.