Going vegan

Options
Literally everything. Brands, foods, materials and stores. Give me the info. So far I've started buying only things labeled vegan friendly. But it's hard to get the protien without spilling over on other macros. Unless I just use tons of powder.

Replies

• hilarityensues
    hilarityensues Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Do you go on reddit? The subreddit veganfitness has a lot of good info, everything you need, really . Welcome to the team!
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll have to check that out
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    This is an active group for vegans and vegetarians:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    eat whole plant foods. pretty simple :)
    lots of legumes
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your goals are for protein, but when I include tofu, tempeh, seitan, and beans in my daily meal plans and round it out with grains and vegetables, I typically have no problem meeting my protein goals.
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    There are nice apps like "is it vegan" so you don't have to look for vegan certified foods at the grocery store (-you'll notice apples don't have a "certified vegan" label. Lots of things don't.)
  • mommy2ivy
    mommy2ivy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sietan is AWESOME for protein! I also like to get my protein from nuts and seeds as well as beans. I do have a protein shake every morning. I love the Spirutein brand and their cookies and cream flavor. I mainly drink it for the vitamins though because I have a hard time swallowing supplements. I have been vegan for 6 years and have thrived on it.
  • Saskwatch99
    Saskwatch99 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Whole foods are best of course. I like the Beyond Beef burgers the best (trying to reduce processed items as I get more adjusted). You may need a B12 supplement. I also take flaxseed oil. As mentioned look on Reddit, also YouTube. Lots of good ideas to vary you diet. I love beans, so that helps. My most common meals are as follows:

Breakfast: smoothie - plant protein powder, banana, spinach, almond milk, chia seeds
    or peanut butter & banana sandwich
    or huge bowl of fruit

Lunch: beans & rice with salsa
    or huge bowl of fruit

Dinner: veggie burger with steamed veggies
    or stir fry with tofu (or mock meat like Beyond Chicken strips)
    or a huge salad (whatever veggies you like, add beans, peas, tofu for protein)

Snacks: fruit
    almonds
    frozen berries (for sweet cravings)
    dates

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I found the book Vegan For Her absolutely brilliant. I know it's "For Her" but it's got lots of general guidance for anyone, particularly about planning meals to get the most out of your ingredients, and demystifies everything. The same authors may have done something similar "for anyone who's not a Her" (snort).

Oh and be prepared to spice up your food. My taste buds have changed completely and I find I'm more experimental than I used to be.
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Also any1 know what foods to eat together to complete an amino acid. Like beans and rice I think complete each other's protien.
  • lolosensan2
    lolosensan2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've heard it can be any bean and any whole grain and they don't even have to be eaten together, just try to get them in the same day. Idk if this is true though, maybe somebody can confirm.
  • coco095
    coco095 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The complete protein thing is a myth, just eat a variety of foods and you'll be fine. Vegan For Life is a great book to read if you want a basic introduction to health on a vegan lifestyle.
  • Saskwatch99
    Saskwatch99 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, as long as you eat a varied diet you should be fine. If you want some examples of specific things you can eat, check out this link.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/12-complete-vegetarian-proteins.html

(hope its okay to link to another site)
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    coco095 wrote: »
    The complete protein thing is a myth, just eat a variety of foods and you'll be fine. Vegan For Life is a great book to read if you want a basic introduction to health on a vegan lifestyle.

That's the one!!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I found the book Vegan For Her absolutely brilliant. I know it's "For Her" but it's got lots of general guidance for anyone, particularly about planning meals to get the most out of your ingredients, and demystifies everything. The same authors may have done something similar "for anyone who's not a Her" (snort).

Oh and be prepared to spice up your food. My taste buds have changed completely and I find I'm more experimental than I used to be.

Virginia Messina, one of the authors of "Vegan for Her," co-authored "Vegan for Life" with RD Jack Norris. It's a nutritional guide for vegans at all stages of life, exactly what you're thinking of. :)